What is better? PVEor PVP

Bomega4235

53 minutes ago, Bomega4235 said:

I need specific reasons. I have playe PVP but people keep raiding me when I just built my first base. And I do not know if I should do pve because of no picking up creatures with fliers. 

PVP is the full experience as intended by the devs. PVE is a mode with stuff disabled/removed so that you can't hurt other people. The choice of which to choose comes down to you, have you previously played PVP in other games or were you doing co-op and other passive modes? Generally speaking there is a chasm that separates PVP players and PVE players and few players will cross it during their lifetimes. You were born either one or the other.

If you don't have 20 other players to tribe up with and have atleast 12 hours you can play in everyday, PVP is not for you. 
What is the point of farming all day, just to get wiped by a chinese mega tribe that is duping?

Also, playing PVP with 200+ ping because of poopty official servers is horrible aswell. It's unbalanced and broken in so many ways, ex. people meshing under map. 

This game should have been a PVE game only, it would have been way better. 
If you want the best experience, play PVE

36 minutes ago, canojuancho said:

Do you have a lot and enough free time?
Will you play with more tribemates?
Are you ready to be raided constantly?
Don't you mind starting again if you lose everything?

If you answered 4 YES, so, go for the PvP. Otherwise, play PvE, your mental health would appreciate it.

Thanks I think I will go pve to be honest

Both have ups and downs. PvP is definitely intended for large tribes. It also requires more time. You need active players to defend and build up. There’s also been issues with cheaters since forever. PvE is more your own pace, you’re not competing. The biggest drawback are some of the players. A lot of people pillar huge areas or build in annoying spots.

I personally prefer pve, you can do what you want and when you want. You should also look into unofficial servers for both gamemodes , they don’t have many issues officials do (ex: lag, cheaters, toxic players) but  do have their own issues.

20 hours ago, TraXz said:

If you don't have 20 other players to tribe up with and have atleast 12 hours you can play in everyday, PVP is not for you. 
What is the point of farming all day, just to get wiped by a chinese mega tribe that is duping?

Also, playing PVP with 200+ ping because of poopty official servers is horrible aswell. It's unbalanced and broken in so many ways, ex. people meshing under map. 

I originally bought this game for PVE. The problem is that PVE has no challenge. Wild dinos are a complete joke, they are not a threat, wild dinos are just moving resource nodes that drop hide and raw meat. The only thing to do on PVE is mindlessly grinding repetitive, simple tasks. ARK PVE is probably the most braindead and boring game I ever played besides Warframe.

On 4/25/2020 at 4:11 AM, Bomega4235 said:

I need specific reasons. I have playe PVP but people keep raiding me when I just built my first base. And I do not know if I should do pve because of no picking up creatures with fliers. 

I just posted this to another thread I think it may help you some as well:

on official pvp server:

1. pick an island, center, se, valg or ab server with a high pop that isn't being attacked.

2. Build small base with no tames. Don't tame.

3. Don't talk in general chat till you see who the mega tribe is on server.

4. Ask to speak to mega identifying yourself as a small tribe that wants to build here but first wants to ask permission.

5. Offer to help mega farm for server defense. 

6. If mega says no leave then don't argue about it go back to step 1 and start over.

7. If mega says yes farm for mega and assist in server defense and try to make friends with them.

8. Ask to be put on Do Not Raid list of mega but if you are raided don't complain just rebuild as you didn't build much (see rule 2). If told to leave go to step #1. DON'T COMPLAIN.

Do this but go slow and don't rush. There are a lot of raiders that pretend to be doing what you and your friends are doing and the mega will be skeptical of you at first. You will be attacked several times don't hold it against them as they are often going to error on the side of caution for their tribe. Eventually it will work and you will be on a server where you will have time and space to build up but be warned once you do, all of that megas enemies will become yours. And they will try to kill you.

glhf.

4 hours ago, covenantgrunt said:

I originally bought this game for PVE. The problem is that PVE has no challenge. Wild dinos are a complete joke, they are not a threat, wild dinos are just moving resource nodes that drop hide and raw meat. The only thing to do on PVE is mindlessly grinding repetitive, simple tasks. ARK PVE is probably the most braindead and boring game I ever played besides Warframe.

Ever tried caving?

6 hours ago, covenantgrunt said:

If you are looking for a competetive game, ARK is not the right game for you. 
PVE in ARK is chill, it's about exploring, being creative, looting and being part of the community. I agree that it's not super difficult and a bit time consuming, but most of us like it this way. 

Comparing it to Warframe which is totally different game genre, makes no sense at all. 

On 4/25/2020 at 8:53 PM, TraXz said:

That's BS and you know it. I lead a group of 5 warriors and we have done very well for ourselves over the years. You just have to know what you are doing and make smart choices and be a realist. I know and we know that we aren't ever going to be able to completely destroy a 100 man mega tribe. It's just not possible but that said, one still do things like infiltrate them or raid their outlying bases to hurt them.

21 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

That's BS and you know it. I lead a group of 5 warriors and we have done very well for ourselves over the years. You just have to know what you are doing and make smart choices and be a realist. I know and we know that we aren't ever going to be able to completely destroy a 100 man mega tribe. It's just not possible but that said, one still do things like infiltrate them or raid their outlying bases to hurt them.

Hear! Hear!

5 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

I'm glad you are having fun with PVP
But I think I speak for the majority of us, when I say that: high ping servers / high latency, Meshing, duping and unbalanced mechanics are not very well suited for PVP
I'm having a hard time seeing the fun part of destroying 5 % of their base, for them your tribe is just another mosquito that doesn't harm them, only harras them. 

On 4/26/2020 at 9:09 AM, JustAnotherBeachNoob said:

Ever tried caving?

*alt tabs from inside his massive base located at Church cave, Scorched Earth*

*gets flash back to island ice and carno cave, center north ice cave and pearl/lava cave, aberration shadow cave and glowtail cave, and all the other cave bases he lived at in past*

*gets PTSD from remembering cancerous cave PVP*

Well I play official PVP, where everyones main bases are inside caves and most pvp is raiding caves. So yeah is that a trick question ? :)

But to answer your question while wild cave dinos are certainly stronger they are not really a threat. You chuck in cryopod  therizinos or giga to a clear a cave and move on. Caves are pretty much brain dead content like rest of game. In past before TEK pods used to be a common thing we used to run swamp cave for example, and it was a pretty much turn off your brain and zone out while moving with a megatherium farming XP and chitin thing.

Literally the only time I ever felt unsafe in an empty cave full of wild dinos was when there were other human players on the server. This is a clip from an official server, we were going to an island server to get an artifact, someone came in through to the cave following us and chucked in a pocket giga at us. Another time at the same cave during a previous artifact run we had 2 of us on manas fighting of an owl and a mana outside, while one guy was inside making a desperate run for the artifact while we held off the enemy. We always put down plant y and battery turrets outside cave entrances before venturing inside and this saved us countless times. The PVP element and the thrill and risk of venturing into a cave on an unknown, potentially hostile server is only thing that makes an other dull artifact run exciting and make caving feel like a real adventure.

2 hours ago, covenantgrunt said:

*alt tabs from inside his massive base located at Church cave, Scorched Earth*

*gets flash back to island ice and carno cave, center north ice cave and pearl/lava cave, aberration shadow cave and glowtail cave, and all the other cave bases he lived at in past*

*gets PTSD from remembering cancerous cave PVP*

Well I play official PVP, where everyones main bases are inside caves and most pvp is raiding caves. So yeah is that a trick question ? :)

But to answer your question while wild cave dinos are certainly stronger they are not really a threat. You chuck in cryopod  therizinos or giga to a clear a cave and move on. Caves are pretty much brain dead content like rest of game. In past before TEK pods used to be a common thing we used to run swamp cave for example, and it was a pretty much turn off your brain and zone out while moving with a megatherium farming XP and chitin thing.

Literally the only time I ever felt unsafe in an empty cave full of wild dinos was when there were other human players on the server. This is a clip from an official server, we were going to an island server to get an artifact, someone came in through to the cave following us and chucked in a pocket giga at us. Another time at the same cave during a previous artifact run we had 2 of us on manas fighting of an owl and a mana outside, while one guy was inside making a desperate run for the artifact while we held off the enemy. We always put down plant y and battery turrets outside cave entrances before venturing inside and this saved us countless times. The PVP element and the thrill and risk of venturing into a cave on an unknown, potentially hostile server is only thing that makes an other dull artifact run exciting and make caving feel like a real adventure.

Then go do a cave like they originally were meant to be played. No gigas,rexes or theris inside with cryopods. 

1 hour ago, Luewen said:

Then go do a cave like they originally were meant to be played. No gigas,rexes or theris inside with cryopods. 

That's just shifting the goalposts. PVE in ARK was originally much harder. Max dino level was 30 and tamed dinos were not as strong as they are compared to their wild counterparts. There was no breeding system to create super dinos that trivialized the game. Gigas, wyverns, manas and other broken creatures that turn the game into godmode did not exist. There was no gamma 5 to turn night into day. Original ARK was closer to a real survival game experience. But ARK today is not the same game anymore. I have thought about using modding to recreate the original, scary ARK experience. But thats a different thing altogether. We are talking about the game as it stands today. And here PVE has lost all of its meaningful experiences. Its just a grind simulator now.

2 hours ago, covenantgrunt said:

That's just shifting the goalposts. PVE in ARK was originally much harder. Max dino level was 30 and tamed dinos were not as strong as they are compared to their wild counterparts. There was no breeding system to create super dinos that trivialized the game. Gigas, wyverns, manas and other broken creatures that turn the game into godmode did not exist. There was no gamma 5 to turn night into day. Original ARK was closer to a real survival game experience. But ARK today is not the same game anymore. I have thought about using modding to recreate the original, scary ARK experience. But thats a different thing altogether. We are talking about the game as it stands today. And here PVE has lost all of its meaningful experiences. Its just a grind simulator now.

I’ve found PvP to be more grindy in my experience. Larger bases required, metal buildings, and stocking turrets are expensive. Breeding the strongest dinos is a huge factor in PvP, but they’re more of a luxury in PvE. I do see where your coming from. Many PvE players only goal is to rush late game and then hoard resources and dinos like a dragon. I’ve seen some people who’ve spent 1000 hours breeding one type of dino.

8 hours ago, Thyme said:

I’ve found PvP to be more grindy in my experience. Larger bases required, metal buildings, and stocking turrets are expensive. Breeding the strongest dinos is a huge factor in PvP, but they’re more of a luxury in PvE. I do see where your coming from. Many PvE players only goal is to rush late game and then hoard resources and dinos like a dragon. I’ve seen some people who’ve spent 1000 hours breeding one type of dino.

ARK PVP is a RTS game, you build bases, collect resources, produce units (dinos) and attack other faction bases. It is a slow paced RTS game played across timescales of days and weeks rather than minutes or hours like most RTSes.  The grind is part of that RTS experience and it does not feel like a grind but part of PVP experience. So for example when farming meat you have fortified teleporters in swamp area. You tribe mates are constantly patrolling the map looking for griefers. And there are griefers are lying in the bushes with a cryod rhino so they can rage and kill your meat farm giga. Then you have your metal  outposts on Abberation. And these come under attack frequently, if you lose them its a heavy blow to your tribes industrial capability.  During a metal run in the blue zone your karinos crews can come under attacks from manas and teksuits and someone needs to be on stand by to respond and rescue them. PVP is more about the journey than the destination. The unexpected is always around the corner. Its not about the big base or dinos you accumulate, it all gets wiped one day anyway, but experience of getting there while thriving and growing as a tribe in an unforgiving sandbox.

One of most exciting things on PVP is farming element veins or doing OSD on Extinction servers. This is a high stakes game of high risk and high reward. OSDs are frequent target for gankers that show up on manas, owls and tek suits and try to kill your dinos and yoink your OSD loot. They deploy rhinos and gigas, and within seconds a peaceful farm session turn into a pitched fight for your lives. When doing OSDs you need to go armed to the teeth and need your squad ready for anything to defend the OSD, secure the loot and safely extract. Some of most exciting PVP on ARK happen around random encounters while doing Extinction drops.

On 4/28/2020 at 12:53 AM, covenantgrunt said:

The ark which you are describing lasted few months. Pretty soon since early access breeding etc were added. Gamma changing was actually enabled for all servers at the start. It was disabled later. Original ark you describe lasted for a while in alpha release. 

On 4/27/2020 at 3:45 PM, Luewen said:

I'd still stand by this logic despite aforementioned statements; everything is pretty "brain dead" when you have overpowered tames and gear to carry you through. If the thrill is lost, then ditch the gear and see how one fares.

On 4/28/2020 at 4:21 AM, covenantgrunt said:

One of most exciting things on PVP is farming element veins or doing OSD on Extinction servers. This is a high stakes game of high risk and high reward. OSDs are frequent target for gankers that show up on manas, owls and tek suits and try to kill your dinos and yoink your OSD loot. They deploy rhinos and gigas, and within seconds a peaceful farm session turn into a pitched fight for your lives. When doing OSDs you need to go armed to the teeth and need your squad ready for anything to defend the OSD, secure the loot and safely extract. Some of most exciting PVP on ARK happen around random encounters while doing Extinction drops.

Truth, at least until the server hiccups and rubberbands, causing this melee to resemble a pack of severely drunken ducks trying to play volleyball with broken tennis racquets before finally kicking out the vast majority of the combatants to the point where the victor is decided by whoever is left somehow unscathed by the latency and simply two-taps their adversary before making off with their easily-gained loot.

If this has yet to happen to you, then I'll need to know this miracle official that you speak of. If unofficial, then good on you - enjoy as you were.

Archived