Could we get large contiguous maps again please?

CaveNoob

• The Island = Awesome but small.
  • Scorched Earth = Awesome and a decent size.
  • Aberration = Pretty good and a decent size.
  • The Center = Awesome, more like this!
  • Ragnarok = Awesome, more like this!
  • Valguero = Good, but small.
  • Extinction = Biomes, hate it. Any preferred biome is too small.
  • Genesis = Biomes you have to teleport to, really hate it. Any preferred biome is just ridiculously small

Could we please get a new large contiguous map? Like The Center or Ragnarok? I'm kicking myself for paying for Genesis, the areas are tiny and the teleport requirement just ruin Ark for me...

On XB1.

5 hours ago, CaveNoob said:

• Genesis = Biomes you have to teleport to, really hate it. Any preferred biome is just ridiculously small

Could we please get a new large contiguous map? Like The Center or Ragnarok? I'm kicking myself for paying for Genesis, the areas are tiny and the teleport requirement just ruin Ark for me...

On XB1.

Scorched earth is smaller than the island, the island is not to small especially cus lots of ark community has not so great computer, and just make a mod for it! The dev software is free!

7 hours ago, CaveNoob said:

So, in my opinion:

• The Island = true. It's the very first map, different biomes, 10 interesting and various artifact caves, but quite small as you said. Good as a map for beginners.
  • Scorched Earth = decent size? It's smaller and way more monotonous than The Island. Only three, easy caves. Boring after a week of playing.
  • Aberration = again, decent size? This map is huge, especially when you measure its depth. It was totally different than previous maps and really exciting. New mechanics, no flyers, difficult caves, radiation zones, The Surface - awesome and challenging map in general.
  • The Center = nice map, attractive design of "Black Carnivore Island", quite innovative caves. Lots of "easter eggs" (Skull Island), tons of dangers if you decided to traverse this map without flyers (large amount of leedsichthys for example).
  • Ragnarok = nothing to say - the best map so far. Huge, creative, various. Unfortunately, only three artifact caves (very good tho - exciting mini-bosses mechanic).
  • Valguero = small? It's one of the biggest map... Sometimes I wonder if you really played there or just read about it. I'm currently playing on Valguero on my private cluster and set a main base there. Map is beautiful, Redwoods is really pretty and I love an idea with a lake in the center instead of the ocean on the borders.
  • Extinction = right, biomes are not really big, but only if you play on officials, where 95% of good/pretty spots are taken by other tribes. Extinction is another map on my cluster and I really love it. Desert biome is smaller, but a lot better than original Scorched Earth. Wastelands are great and challenging. Only the caves are very disappointing, as you are forced to use managarmrs or other huge dinos. No way to beat it the hardcore way, on foot, with grappling hooks or climbing picks.
  • Genesis = understandable. I never played it and don't want to. Not interested in sci-fi combined with dinosaurs.

1 hour ago, Dzieciak said:

So, in my opinion:

• The Island = true. It's the very first map, different biomes, 10 interesting and various artifact caves, but quite small as you said. Good as a map for beginners.
  • Scorched Earth = decent size? It's smaller and way more monotonous than The Island. Only three, easy caves. Boring after a week of playing.
  • Aberration = again, decent size? This map is huge, especially when you measure its depth. It was totally different than previous maps and really exciting. New mechanics, no flyers, difficult caves, radiation zones, The Surface - awesome and challenging map in general.
  • The Center = nice map, attractive design of "Black Carnivore Island", quite innovative caves. Lots of "easter eggs" (Skull Island), tons of dangers if you decided to traverse this map without flyers (large amount of leedsichthys for example).
  • Ragnarok = nothing to say - the best map so far. Huge, creative, various. Unfortunately, only three artifact caves (very good tho - exciting mini-bosses mechanic).
  • Valguero = small? It's one of the biggest map... Sometimes I wonder if you really played there or just read about it. I'm currently playing on Valguero on my private cluster and set a main base there. Map is beautiful, Redwoods is really pretty and I love an idea with a lake in the center instead of the ocean on the borders.
  • Extinction = right, biomes are not really big, but only if you play on officials, where 95% of good/pretty spots are taken by other tribes. Extinction is another map on my cluster and I really love it. Desert biome is smaller, but a lot better than original Scorched Earth. Wastelands are great and challenging. Only the caves are very disappointing, as you are forced to use managarmrs or other huge dinos. No way to beat it the hardcore way, on foot, with grappling hooks or climbing picks.
  • Genesis = understandable. I never played it and don't want to. Not interested in sci-fi combined with dinosaurs.

Genesis = bad because its sci fi?

Pretty much been sci-fi since the release of aberration has it not with reapers.

This game is more sci-fi then ever and has lost the shine of why I started playing the game in the first place a dino survival game.

14 hours ago, DoughBoy93 said:

Genesis = bad because its sci fi?

Yes, exactly. Bad because of the absurd amount of sci-fi and high-end technologies. Maybe I'm an oldtimer, but I prefer to kill a raptor with a pike or crossbow after a fierce battle instead of using auto-aiming shoulder-mounted missiles or flying whalebomber.

I'm dreaming about a big map with various biomes designed from the scratch to be crossable on foot, including caves (you hear that, Extinction?!). There's no challenge in battling giganotosaurus with a griffin or wyvern, but it begins to be great adventure if you have to run from pack of wolves using only your own legs.

40 minutes ago, Dzieciak said:

Yes, exactly. Bad because of the absurd amount of sci-fi and high-end technologies. Maybe I'm an oldtimer, but I prefer to kill a raptor with a pike or crossbow after a fierce battle instead of using auto-aiming shoulder-mounted missiles or flying whalebomber.

I'm dreaming about a big map with various biomes designed from the scratch to be crossable on foot, including caves (you hear that, Extinction?!). There's no challenge in battling giganotosaurus with a griffin or wyvern, but it begins to be great adventure if you have to run from pack of wolves using only your own legs.

I do prefer the more primitive side to the game well what's left of it but sadly its heavy influenced by sci fi and fantasy more then ever started with the introduction of aberration for me and obviously has got worse each dlc. Cryopods meks titans just sci fi heavy lol

1 hour ago, Dzieciak said:

The devkit is available. Or if creation isn't for you, then find and support mod authors.

Crystal Isles map that coming soon to official, has floating islands and isn't exactly designed for foot travel.

Its obvious by now that tek is the direction of WC.

50 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

The devkit is available. Or if creation isn't for you, then find and support mod authors.

Crystal Isles map that coming soon to official, has floating islands and isn't exactly designed for foot travel.

I had an idea to use Devkit and try to create my own map, but modding ARK is far too irritating. 95% of mod maps are incomplete for various reasons, some of them because Wildcard releases patches almost on daily schedule nowadays, which doesn't help modders. One thing fixed, another two broken.

Also, I used to play on Crystal Isles when it was still playable (no constant rain etc.) and I did not use dinos. Well, I had a parasaur for harvesting nearby bushes and a dilo as a guard dog, but I was always travelling on foot or by boat. That was much more exciting than flying from one border of a map to the other in three minutes.

I hope Wildcard will not ruin Crystal Isles. Or even if they do, Isolde and her team will make a fix-mod to restore all this magic they've made before.

3 hours ago, Dzieciak said:

had an idea to use Devkit and try to create my own map, but modding ARK is far too irritating. 95% of mod maps are incomplete for various reasons, some of them because Wildcard releases patches almost on daily schedule nowadays, which doesn't help modders. One thing fixed, another two broken.

This IS NOT the only reason dev kit is annoying, unless you have the best computer and internet in the world, every action takes at least 5 secound of lag, much more depending on the complexity, trying to play test you map in dev kit takes upwards of 15 minuets(On a good computer)! Not to broadcast you shouldn’t mod, Ark dev kit is actually very well thought out and designed for moderers, even if the devs release updates,  and even if there is very limited tutorial and know fixes for bugs, I still suggest you try it for at least 5 hours and in that time make a map, it’s very easy, very cool, and expriances much less lag has much less bugs, and almost never becomes incompatible, the problems I’ve seen Is trying to “smooth” with a large brush, will be very laggy, trying to paint the entire island sized flat map in 20 secound s is extreamly laggy so use a small brush and take your time, or make a much smaller map(I started with a 5x5 whiles island is 27x27) and lastly when you use paint it will sometimes turn that whole section of the grid into a grey&white checker. Still not sure how creature spawns and foliage work but I’m planning to look into it today, also I could create a small maybe 10x10 with intresting terrain and stuff to explore, with no flies or raptors or anything a little faster than a para on land, if that’s ok. See if I can upload it to steam, take in mind this would maybe take me a week.

3 hours ago, Dzieciak said:

I had an idea to use Devkit and try to create my own map, but modding ARK is far too irritating. 95% of mod maps are incomplete for various reasons, some of them because Wildcard releases patches almost on daily schedule nowadays, which doesn't help modders. One thing fixed, another two broken.

This IS NOT the only reason dev kit is annoying, unless you have the best computer and internet in the world, every action takes at least 5 secound of lag, much more depending on the complexity, trying to play test you map in dev kit takes upwards of 15 minuets(On a good computer)! Not to broadcast you shouldn’t mod, Ark dev kit is actually very well thought out and designed for moderers, even if the devs release updates,  and even if there is very limited tutorial and know fixes for bugs, I still suggest you try it for at least 5 hours and in that time make a map, it’s very easy, very cool, and expriances much less lag has much less bugs, and almost never becomes incompatible, the problems I’ve seen Is trying to “smooth” with a large brush, will be very laggy, trying to paint the entire island sized flat map in 20 secound s is extreamly laggy so use a small brush and take your time, or make a much smaller map(I started with a 5x5 whiles island is 27x27) and lastly when you use paint it will sometimes turn that whole section of the grid into a grey&white checker. Still not sure how creature spawns and foliage work but I’m planning to look into it today, also I could create a small maybe 10x10 with intresting terrain and stuff to explore, with no flies or raptors or anything a little faster than a para on land, if that’s ok. See if I can upload it to steam, take in mind this would maybe take me a week or more, especially if you want me to make sure there’s no fall in a hole and can’t get out parts..
And actually the part of the dev kit your looking at is the least buggy and incompatible!

I'm actually developping an arctic-themed map with the main landmass (260+ km) being the size of ragnarok (244 km) with its ocean. It will have a fairly deep ocean all around (similar to Genesis) and a frozen aberrant cave system the size of ragnarok under it.

Plenty of ideas and concept that have been in the works for a few months now. Trying to report my progress on that project in the Ark daily thread.

**** Edit : Terrain sculpting is done, which is among the tedious part of the process, besides texturing (currently being worked on). ****

Disclaimer => Work in progress, texturing is weeks from being done.

Starter area themed around boreal forest/canadian tundra. Green obelisk in the distance :

Starter.thumb.jpg.5031339f9100d55f276f5bf4dcc89691.jpg

Medium area themed around winter/arctic tundra. Blue obelisk located there :

Medium.thumb.jpg.2b563fbfdc87201503bdb96651969592.jpg

Hard area themed on antarctica/snow desert with glacier cracks, etc. Red obelisk far back on the ice wyvern island :
Hard.thumb.jpg.7aa25eae7ee3fd13a5309fcc1a7840a6.jpg

22 hours ago, Dzieciak said:

So, in my opinion:

the island: nicely sized balanced and a fit for almost any skill level of player to do various things disagree with small, honestly it’s giant all of the ark maps are giant, and if you don’t like the speed of flyers just don’t use them! I find the games flyers to make it less monastics and more fun, especially cus I can play for a limited time a day

Scorched Earth: still giant but a little smaller than the Island, only 4 majorly different biomes but still fun as it incorporates all new creatures and resources and events such as heatwaves, and new challenges especially regarding traveling, natural weather and water and food, making the game a whole different experience. Never gotten to the bosses yet and heard there’s no assensioun but still having a great time and I like almost any map with explorer notes just for them, its fun to learn the story in odd bits and pieces! 

Abbaration: nervier played, but planning to and also I feel like I’m going to hate it just for the darkness.

extinction: never played but excited about new intresting creatures engrams and story, and of taming the titans!

The center: good sized map with very interesting Landscape and terrain, the creature spawns feel natral and just the right amount, the caves are dangerous fun and beautiful ant the scorched islands are an intresting new part of the game, my one problem is the overspawning cave on the third island over.

ragnorock: has tons of Easter eggs and about every resource in the game but having the resources easy to get and plentiful can remove some of the fun from it, and all the Easter eggs don’t really tell a story but a civization used to live here and they were mid evil and the map is so giant and has so many pillars that it’s impossible to find you base or tame or anything whiteouts extensive picture memotry of the map! And it takes 20 minuets with almost 50 deaths to get from one side to the other on a ptronadon and that’s from your base till you can see the desert in the distance, and transporting tames back home takes almost the whole time you can play in a day for me at least! So big intresting map to explore only, not to find more resources, and the useful creatures are spread out as far as possible from each other, there is almost no good building spots iv found due to the excessive pillar ing of the developer.

Valagrue: have played very little of it, mostly to check out the deinonychus in creative but to me it looked like it had plenty of flatish but natral building spaces with a pretty view, never played much though so I’m netral

gen: not exited at this because I feel like the game is going to tek and the missions system sound terrible am planing on playing but unexcited and I feel like once it losses it’s new DLC triple price, I feel like the pandemic will be over and it wolnt be on sale, so we will see. I do like the new creatures somewhat but because of all the ways the can break game they are not good, space whale can teleport through walls, and probably mesh, Ferox can turn big into someone’s base, and spider man on top toes lets you throw a cyropod into someone’s base, and a Mordor or skiff lava creature is OP and about all of thoes compleatly are the best at greifing in the whole game.

23 hours ago, Darkholis said:

I'm actually developping an arctic-themed map with the main landmass (260+ km) being the size of ragnarok (244 km) with its ocean. It will have a fairly deep ocean all around (similar to Genesis) and a frozen aberrant cave system the size of ragnarok under it.

Plenty of ideas and concept that have been in the works for a few months now. Trying to report my progress on that project in the Ark daily thread.

**** Edit : Terrain sculpting is done, which is among the tedious part of the process, besides texturing (currently being worked on). ****

Disclaimer => Work in progress, texturing is weeks from being done.

Hey man(or woman) that’s really cool, I don’t know if I said but I’m working on making a ocean map! Honestly I’d say the most tedious is aligning the water and creature spawn things together. Really though, my thing has a glitch where whenever I paint over something it turns that quadrant greyscale, which will making painting hard, currently I’m making a 5x5 kind of first map so I can figure everything out so I can start on the aqua dlc, also if you were looking for some ideas maybe I could help? I know I’m looking for ideas too. Also your map looks really cool so far! Can’t wait to see it done!

1 hour ago, Dinobros2000 said:

Hey man(or woman) that’s really cool, I don’t know if I said but I’m working on making a ocean map! Honestly I’d say the most tedious is aligning the water and creature spawn things together. Really though, my thing has a glitch where whenever I paint over something it turns that quadrant greyscale, which will making painting hard, currently I’m making a 5x5 kind of first map so I can figure everything out so I can start on the aqua dlc, also if you were looking for some ideas maybe I could help? I know I’m looking for ideas too. Also your map looks really cool so far! Can’t wait to see it done!

Thx for the kind words and I'm a guy.

The greyscale is a result of your computer processing the required shaders to properly display the painted texture. Despite being older, tutorials from these 2 folks will greatly help you get started.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpsHRl7OhFzALLCl0CgiUqg/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2_InTPwjljppMrQ74GzpFA

As for water, I usually start with the waterplane, which can be placed very precisely. For post-process and volume, I link them together for ease of movement, then resize them bigger than my actual needs. I will then proceed to place them as close as I can to the waterplane. Once that is done, I will play with the vertical size for micro-adjustments until I reach the perfect height.

I get that I just hate getting the two exactly together, also I figured out the grey today it’s really annoying, if I paint with a 50 size brush after about 50 seconds of painting it greyscales for like 15 minuets, I’m going to get a new computer soon so I hope that helps, my internet and computer right now are trash and average. Also I’ll take a peek at that, currently I use the donkey boy and zen(the mod manager)

also can you tell me when it’s done, I’d like to try it

On 4/26/2020 at 10:22 AM, Darkholis said:

I actually mostly watch the donkey and zen but have watched a few of brick what

Archived