Bosses not really doable with tames

Zapha

Bosses not really doable with tames

When I started playing ARK a year ago I came early to the conclusion that doing the breeding thing is nothing for me, not only because it's extreme time consuming, but also because you have to do sick things then like mass killing babies for optimizing breeding lines. Sure, they are only virtual, but it has an impact to your thinking if you are excercising brutal social-darwinistic selection by mass killing babies.

Whatever, as passionate builder I really would like it to have the moonpool, because building underwater is an exciting challenge for me. I also made the mistake to not check exactly what is needed for the moonpool, I thought I have just to defeat the Broodmother to unlock all tek, now I know that I have to kill 3 bosses to unlock all neccessary parts for the moonpool (maybe I'm wrong with this too).

So I tamed 20 high level megatheriums, with all the preparations I needed 2 months for this. Ready for the fight I started practicing the fight in single player with official settings. After a dozen failed fights I came to the conclusion that I need at least ~level 400 megatheriums to make sure to win the fight, but my tames are only around ~level 225. Even if I would spend months for leveling them I would still have the problem with the other bosses, the alpha dragon. So the only way to the moonpool is the year long way of the baby mass murderer.

But I had a great time in ARK, it helped me through the winter and it was a lot of fun.

I don't agree. While I don't have a problem with the refining lines aspect of breeding, I didn't have to do that.

I've tamed what high level rexes I've found, but still don't have good enough stats to even start combining them into a base pair. However, we still wanted to try doing bosses so I started breeding the best of the ones I had. We took them out and levelled them a couple of levels and then tried the boss. With those rexes, one Yuty and sometimes a pig, we've done all levels of Broodmother - alpha, beta and gamma - and gamma Megapithecus. Yes, I say "we" because there were three of us most of the time, but we did it with as few as 2 people.

This is on a dedicated server, meaning the difficulty is higher than on a single player server. I conclude that you don't need to do any fancy breeding at all to do the bosses - at least Brood and gamma Megapithecus (I'd assume at least beta Mega would be fine as well).

If you don't want to mutation breed. At least get a good wild female / male and breed them to get a lot of offspring as that first breed cycle  will give them a bonus to their melee compared to their wild parents. 

High level reapers can do bosses as well. Give birth to a bunch of them and they will get imprint bonus and they have a high native armor value. 

i think it was alpha level dragon boss that requires killing to get it (probably the hardest fight on the island due to the fire burn damage, minus going through the actual tek cave before the final boss).

gamma bosses are easy enough requiring just the basics of well bred rexes in most with good saddles, tame lets say a dozen max level ones and breed them into a single line from the six with the highest stats from each line, take the babies from them as breeders and use around 15 imprinted ones for any boss is usually good enough (10 with very good rexes and a yuty), add in a fully bred and imprinted ridden yuty for the bonus damage and good assendant saddles for beta level and then add in mutations and maximum possible crafted saddles for alpha level (can still be done with a little difficulty without mutations though with good enough dino's).

do you play on official? pve/pvp?  dont know the situation of "trading" in pvp but in pve try asking around for a good high lvl egg or a breeding pair or if you want to use yours just ask for one parent , so you can leave to others the "baby murder" but still enjoy the good breeding and then go to bossfight , just prepare to farm the resource they are asking as price but still is better this way ^^ so u dont have to kill your beloved child! xD (not a lot at least)

8 minutes ago, Odrilius said:

do you play on official? pve/pvp?  dont know the situation of "trading" in pvp but in pve try asking around for a good high lvl egg or a breeding pair or if you want to use yours just ask for one parent , so you can leave to others the "baby murder" but still enjoy the good breeding and then go to bossfight , just prepare to farm the resource they are asking as price but still is better this way ^^ so u dont have to kill your beloved child! xD (not a lot at least)

yea i think this is the most effective way and quickest way. I do a lot of my trades from facebook.

5 hours ago, Zapha said:

(...) I came to the conclusion that I need at least ~level 400 megatheriums (...)

This is not true in general, only for "hipster" dinos. Megas are not optimal for boss fighting (this is a fact even for Broodmother, they have low base HP and DMG, the buff has no consistence during the fight, the attack speed is not great, the range is low, the body is to clunky and takes to much space meaning lots can't hit the boss properly, and the AI use the attack with less dps often), meaning you can't do bosses the with average tame.

Max level tamed Allos, Rexes and Theris (Yuti buffed) can do the Megapithecus and maybe the lower levels of Broodmother (if you know how to move the dinos to avoid damage and have good saddles just to be sure). The rest is just a waste of time and tames. Like for the Dragon, the average tamed Theri is a joke (you can't do dps enough to kill him in time).

Now everyone in the tread are missing THE point of "breeding for bosses" and why is an important step. You need to breed to get the IMPRINT. 20% more HP and DMG is the edge you need to beat the bosses. That's the real reason you need to breed. And having parents with optimal (equal) stats means you have a infinite supply of the dino (no need to fancy mutations or whatever if you have the numbers). See? You don't need to mass-murder babies, you can raise them first... to later sacrifice them to the nearest boss/objective/stupid idea/thing.

I would've chosen rexes over megatheriums honestly, I think most people use rexes and theris for bosses.

On PVE a lot of people are willing to either breed you eggs or sell eggs for ingots or element dust. I mostly trade wyvern eggs for whatever I want since I'm on The Center and there's a demand for them. I got my male boss rex from an ally, tamed a female high level wild one myself, bred it with the boss male, and now I have a female offspring with the boss stats that I am breeding with the male. I'm prepping to do the boss fights myself solo.

You really only need 1 good rex and then you can just breed with a wild one until you get an offspring that is opposite gender and has the good inherited stats. Then you can start making your army. If you're on PVE just ask your server if anyone has some good rex eggs, it might take some farming to get the metal if they won't give them for free but it is a LOT less time than if you were to breed from scratch.

For reference, my rexes have 30k base HP and about 1200% melee (forget the actual % but it's a little higher than that). With 15 or 16 of them it should be doable, at least the broodmother and giant ape. Plus I'm leveling them up to about 60-75K hp and 2000% myself. 

Just got a boss theri too as well that I will be breeding for boss fights. Traded a wyvern egg for it. 

As of 2020

Alpha Dragon - Use 20 Rex's or 19 Rex's and a Yuty.  Make sure you whistle passive on the Rex's (sometimes you may have to whistle neutral to kill pteranadons n such but quickly whistle passive again once that is done. Have one person have all the rexes on follow just running around until the dragon comes down.  Once the dragon is down send one person in on an Imprinted rex with about 70k-100k health.  Once the Tank Rex has been hit with the flame breath it's time for the person with the Rex's on follow to hit the Dragon from the side or back and whistle Attack this target.  Rinse Wash Repeat. Ez Alpha Dragon.

Alpha Broodmother - Use 20 rexes and just have them all attack.  This is probably the easiest boss.  It's a Tank N Spank.

Alpha Megapithecus - Use 20 Rex's and as soon as you spawn in turn around and run to the edge behind you to the invisible wall.  Whistle all Rex's to follow you to bring them as far away from the hole/bridge/edge in the center of the map. Make sure to whistle passive as well.  Once you have all your Rex's pulled back it's time to pull the boss (If he has not came to you already)  Once the boss is past the bridge/hole/edge then it's time to attack and whistle attack my target on the Rex's.  From there it's a Tank N Spank

Rex's should have about 30k-40k health, 1k - 2k melee and saddles at about 130 - 200 armor.

While I did not "purify the breeding line", beating broodmother required more than just stats. It required a bit of trickery as well...First one is finding much better saddles and equipping them all with the best I could find. {Got lucky and found a Journeyman blueprint} Next was adding a yuty to help beef up the team and scare the boss a lill. Last but not least was the addition of a hog to help heal the team up say early to mid fight, and then loaded him up with both kibble and prime meat.

Its not the simple mindset of "biggest, baddest, kil kil kil." Its strategy. Using a one trick army on a boss helps and guides you towards the direction you want to go, but you must add to the formula in order for it to succeed. 

Breeding is a big part of the game and it can actually be quite fun. 
But instead of you taming 20 megatheriums, it would actually have been a lot easier and faster for you to breed them... Especially now that you can get your hands on cryoballs pretty easily and just pick up your babies whenever. 

If you are playing official, then it's super easy to find someone who trades high level dinos aswell, if you don't mind "cheating" yourself for the experience of breeding it youself. 

Archived