Honestly, I'm just waiting for a map with no transfers allowed in.

WolfBrinkTV

TLDR: Just a little rant. FRESH start Official server clusters would be amazing, but probably not feasible. Ark is at it's best when you just start playing, or when a new map without transfers releases. I'm just bored on Quarantine and started typing.)

I love Ark. I have for the last 5 years, and have experienced it at its worst, and at it's best. However, of all the times I've quit for a few months and came back, do you know what made/makes it the MOST fun? Two things.

1. The very first couple of weeks where you have nothing and everything you see is opportunity for you. That 145 Rex? Huge. 135 Anky and a 140 Argy? MASSIVE. However a few weeks pass, you lose self control (happens every time) and you acquire "Boss" Dinos that have been bred for YEARS and are absolute beasts. Game suddenly starts dying to you a little. Trading stats isn't really a thing anymore. There's the few big breeders for each creature, that's about it. Next thing you know you're bored...the challenge is all gone. No reason to start fresh lines because deep down you know you're just waistng your time. Taming wild dinos is now virtually worthless...

2. This is the BIGGEST one. When a NEW MAP finally drops. This is when Ark honestly truely shines for me. (ESPECIALLY Extinction and Genesis with the "Events/Missions"). There's no breeding lines. No OP creatures. Every creature you see has potential to be the best out there. Everybody is trading stats on the server, trading tames, trading everything. It's a bustling economy. Everybody is on 100% equal footing, it's a fresh start for everyone. NEW breeders now have a chance to actually breed their favorite dinos and be the best.

But....the moment transfers open....its all worthless. Every bit of it. Every possible mutation and stat combo swarm the server. All colors are no longer rare. It's now just like every other server. Events/Challenges that made the maps and content FUN and CHALLENGING as an entire group of 5-10 people (a mix of 3-4 tribes working together) can now be completed by some solo player on their OP creatures they bring in.

The unity of a server falls apart. The ecosystem. The market. The challenge.....the fun?..

I'm an Official player. I never had a desire to play unofficial. It's really just not my thing. To me, its just the right way to play the game for me PERSONALLY, as it is for many others.

What I would love to see? An Official Server Cluster of maps released when a new map releases that says No transfers ever allowed INTO the cluster. 

Example: Pretend when they Released genesis, they released some servers that were in a cluster with a couple other fresh servers of every other current map. (VERY ROUGH IDEA, just describing....3 servers of each map or something) In that cluster, ONLY Genesis is playable currently. The other maps currently grayed out. That way everyone's more enticed to play the new content. After a month or so, all of the other maps open up in the cluster. Then people can branch out among the other maps. All servers/maps in the cluster can transfer among themselves, and to Original Official servers, however nothing can be brought back in except for characters from original official servers.

Obviously the idea would never happen. As its unreasonable, it would "Split" the playerbase away from each other, it would require more servers than they would want to implement, it would probably be a pain to manage tickets and the servers themselves, and a lot more that I probably don't even realize...

But, this is just a rant, and what I would love to see. I mean, I'd say Nuke all Official servers and just let's restart. However that's not even CLOSE to fair for people who wanna keep their progress and don't care about a fresh start. The only way would be to do something like what I said.

Everyone can still keep their old bases and creatures from the last 5 years, being able to transfer their character to and from their cluster (naked character only when going into the cluster, but can bring anything out) and old official servers, but can have the fresh beginning at the same time.

I still love the game, and with how much I come back, probably will for the foreseeable future regardless. However, that would make it so much more fun and give a lot more longevity IMO.

Happy Arking! ??

You do know there are official maps that make everyone restart every 30 days. 

59 minutes ago, WolfBrinkTV said:

TLDR: Just a little rant. FRESH start Official server clusters would be amazing, but probably not feasible. Ark is at it's best when you just start playing, or when a new map without transfers releases. I'm just bored on Quarantine and started typing.)

I love Ark. I have for the last 5 years, and have experienced it at its worst, and at it's best. However, of all the times I've quit for a few months and came back, do you know what made/makes it the MOST fun? Two things.

1. The very first couple of weeks where you have nothing and everything you see is opportunity for you. That 145 Rex? Huge. 135 Anky and a 140 Argy? MASSIVE. However a few weeks pass, you lose self control (happens every time) and you acquire "Boss" Dinos that have been bred for YEARS and are absolute beasts. Game suddenly starts dying to you a little. Trading stats isn't really a thing anymore. There's the few big breeders for each creature, that's about it. Next thing you know you're bored...the challenge is all gone. No reason to start fresh lines because deep down you know you're just waistng your time. Taming wild dinos is now virtually worthless...

2. This is the BIGGEST one. When a NEW MAP finally drops. This is when Ark honestly truely shines for me. (ESPECIALLY Extinction and Genesis with the "Events/Missions"). There's no breeding lines. No OP creatures. Every creature you see has potential to be the best out there. Everybody is trading stats on the server, trading tames, trading everything. It's a bustling economy. Everybody is on 100% equal footing, it's a fresh start for everyone. NEW breeders now have a chance to actually breed their favorite dinos and be the best.

But....the moment transfers open....its all worthless. Every bit of it. Every possible mutation and stat combo swarm the server. All colors are no longer rare. It's now just like every other server. Events/Challenges that made the maps and content FUN and CHALLENGING as an entire group of 5-10 people (a mix of 3-4 tribes working together) can now be completed by some solo player on their OP creatures they bring in.

The unity of a server falls apart. The ecosystem. The market. The challenge.....the fun?..

I'm an Official player. I never had a desire to play unofficial. It's really just not my thing. To me, its just the right way to play the game for me PERSONALLY, as it is for many others.

What I would love to see? An Official Server Cluster of maps released when a new map releases that says No transfers ever allowed INTO the cluster. 

Example: Pretend when they Released genesis, they released some servers that were in a cluster with a couple other fresh servers of every other current map. (VERY ROUGH IDEA, just describing....3 servers of each map or something) In that cluster, ONLY Genesis is playable currently. The other maps currently grayed out. That way everyone's more enticed to play the new content. After a month or so, all of the other maps open up in the cluster. Then people can branch out among the other maps. All servers/maps in the cluster can transfer among themselves, and to Original Official servers, however nothing can be brought back in except for characters from original official servers.

Obviously the idea would never happen. As its unreasonable, it would "Split" the playerbase away from each other, it would require more servers than they would want to implement, it would probably be a pain to manage tickets and the servers themselves, and a lot more that I probably don't even realize...

But, this is just a rant, and what I would love to see. I mean, I'd say Nuke all Official servers and just let's restart. However that's not even CLOSE to fair for people who wanna keep their progress and don't care about a fresh start. The only way would be to do something like what I said.

Everyone can still keep their old bases and creatures from the last 5 years, being able to transfer their character to and from their cluster (naked character only when going into the cluster, but can bring anything out) and old official servers, but can have the fresh beginning at the same time.

I still love the game, and with how much I come back, probably will for the foreseeable future regardless. However, that would make it so much more fun and give a lot more longevity IMO.

Happy Arking! ??

43 minutes ago, Fattyblunt420 said:

You do know there are official maps that make everyone restart every 30 days. 

I'm not talking about Arkpocolypse. That's a completely different direction. I want permanent long term servers for people to start fresh on. Wiping everything every 30 days just kills the whole idea I have on being able to breed out lines for a long time again from the start. Whole different direction. Especially for the PVE community.

eventually that map with no transfer in will turn into what you dislike

just look at legacy server. the island has been around for about a year and half until scorched comes.

within that 1.5 years its already pointless to go tame wild land dinos. we got 120 rexes 112 gigas and the breeding project brings the rexes up to about 250.

it only takes 4 days to get a new rex. the hassle will be imprinting. it was about once every 3 to 4 hours. not really a big deal just time yourself right over the weekends

it sounds like you play PVE?  Where does the desire then to compete with other players or even your interest in what other players do come from? 

If you want to create your own breeding lines the only thing stopping you is yourself. There isn't any requirement to keep up with other tribes. Play your own game and achieve your own goals. 

You can do it, we believe in you.

7 hours ago, Hemplethwaite said:

it sounds like you play PVE?  Where does the desire then to compete with other players or even your interest in what other players do come from? 

If you want to create your own breeding lines the only thing stopping you is yourself. There isn't any requirement to keep up with other tribes. Play your own game and achieve your own goals. 

You can do it, we believe in you.

It comes from the engagement of the server community. I have seen the same thing happen over and over again as new maps roll out and transfers are opened. Servers go from a bustling community full of engagement, to boring and barren when transfers open up.

The issue with starting your own breeding lines is the sense of "what's the point if there's already years of work flowing around you?" It's a mind game that I personally can't overcome.

I only play PVE now since I went full time at work and have a daughter. PVP isn't a viable option on Official as a solo player unless you have a lot of time to sink. The upkeep is far too much. Loved pvp, just can't do it anymore.

11 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Oxymoron.

Not really. I think every time a new map is released some should have "transfers in" disabled forever at least. Arkpocolypse is a step in the right direction, but it has that stigma knowing everything you do is worthless in 30 days.

At least if with each map release they had a few with transfers disabled, new players that come to ark, or old players that wanna try to be the best on those servers, can all freshly compete and never have to worry about losing their stuff In 30 days.

Then in a year when a new map comes out, they can go play on it, but they can always go back to their old server and have their progress still.

New longterm servers for fresh starts and newer players would be refreshing personally to restart the growth of the official community, but as an option to the players, not forced by a meteor strike.

As I said in the OP though, it's not viable. It's too much work to have to deal with than what it's worth for Wildcard. I'm just ranting starting conversation.

9 hours ago, HiImZech said:

eventually that map with no transfer in will turn into what you dislike

just look at legacy server. the island has been around for about a year and half until scorched comes.

within that 1.5 years its already pointless to go tame wild land dinos. we got 120 rexes 112 gigas and the breeding project brings the rexes up to about 250.

it only takes 4 days to get a new rex. the hassle will be imprinting. it was about once every 3 to 4 hours. not really a big deal just time yourself right over the weekends

You're 100% correct, they will turn into the same thing that official currently is after a year. 

But.

If they released new official servers that are transfer locked each time they release maps, it would be perfect timing for players to decide for themselves if they wanna keep it up on the server they're on, or if they wanna start fresh again and try again.

Being able to decide if you wanna join a fresh server with no transfers IN every year, or just stay where you are would be amazing.

Viable? No. Ark already has a ton of servers. Could you imagine how many more servers they would have to manage by doing this? Just ideas I'm throwing around that I would personally find refreshing is all.

11 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

This would divide the official community.

Like legacy vs official.

I'm aware, also aware of the server issue. If you read my most recent replies I openly say this isn't feasible because of how many servers it would take, and I also mentioned in my OP that it would divide the official community.

I'm just bored making a thread about something I think would be awesome to have. Even though it's not reasonable. Lol

3 minutes ago, WolfBrinkTV said:

I'm just bored making a thread about something I think would be awesome to have. Even though it's not reasonable. Lol

Yeah. I think everyone is bored with most the world under quarantine.

Just curious if you have considered unofficial community. Since you want fresh start, it would need to be a newly formed group of people.

2 hours ago, Aylana314159 said:

Yeah. I think everyone is bored with most the world under quarantine.

Just curious if you have considered unofficial community. Since you want fresh start, it would need to be a newly formed group of people.

Very bored. On the bright side I went back to work today after 2 weeks off!

I've never played unofficial, mostly because I'm one of those people to want to play the game the way it's meant to be played by the developers. Unofficial just doesn't seem right to me.

Also, with the many stories that I have heard about admin abuse, there's no way I would want to. Who's to say the server won't go down at a certain point, or if the admins wanna wipe you out because you do something wrong or don't agree with you. I couldn't play on a server where another player has the power over me to do as they please, people are too toxic. ?

8 minutes ago, WolfBrinkTV said:

I've never played unofficial, mostly because I'm one of those people to want to play the game the way it's meant to be played by the developers. Unofficial just doesn't seem right to me.

If you mean the official settings, then unofficial servers can be exactly the same. Plus since the devs provided the server software they intended unofficial servers, just like providing a devkit and financial support to the modding community.

I somehow doubt the dev intended the game to be played on buggy, laggy, under moderated servers 

10 minutes ago, WolfBrinkTV said:

Also, with the many stories that I have heard about admin abuse, there's no way I would want to. Who's to say the server won't go down at a certain point, or if the admins wanna wipe you out because you do something wrong or don't agree with you. I couldn't play on a server where another player has the power over me to do as they please, people are too toxic

This is the problem with 1 ring of power. Transparency and an admin team would be important when setting up or choosing an unofficial community. For all the horror stories of admin abuse, you don't hear all the good stories of unofficials communities. Happy players aren't complaining on forums.

They used to have what you're talking about called "Cross Arks." Not sure if they still have them but back when I started playing I tried out PvP. My friends chose CrossArk3 to play on. This was the Island, Center, and Scorched Earth maps. Thing was you could only transfer between maps on the CrossArk3. So massive breeding lines, all the best BPs, etc couldn't get into the CrossArk. Only what was found in CrossArk3 was available to those on that CrossArk. Again not sure if that still exists today or if it ever existed for PvE but that would be the closest thing you're talking about that Ark has done.

But then you run into the same issues eventually as others have mentioned. Once the Island, Center and Scorched Earth have been around for a while what happens once Aberration drops, and then Extinction? Genesis? All the breeding lines will eventually infect the new maps despite being on a Crossark. The only real solution is unofficial if that's what you want. Host your own server with the restrictions that you'd want to play with. Build a community of people to play with that will keep playing with you on your journey through new maps as they are released. But I wouldn't count on what you're asking for to happen on Officials, people get attached to their tames they've had for years and want to keep moving forward with them, godlike stats and all.

5 hours ago, WolfBrinkTV said:

It comes from the engagement of the server community. I have seen the same thing happen over and over again as new maps roll out and transfers are opened. Servers go from a bustling community full of engagement, to boring and barren when transfers open up.

The issue with starting your own breeding lines is the sense of "what's the point if there's already years of work flowing around you?" It's a mind game that I personally can't overcome.

I only play PVE now since I went full time at work and have a daughter. PVP isn't a viable option on Official as a solo player unless you have a lot of time to sink. The upkeep is far too much. Loved pvp, just can't do it anymore.

I'm PVE from early access and I like to just do my own thing a lot of the time.

I know it's nice to have a good community on a server but people will always want different things.

If you are lucky you can catch a server right at the sweet spot when people are buzzing and the server has a real together feel. I've had that a few times on Ark,  In legacy as everyone was pushing to try and defeat the then oh so hard Dragon boss,  through all the servers I've played on to right now on Genesis with different tribes working together  to get the missions and the final boss fights.  And that can be great as you all work to the same goal.

It always happens with a new map when tribes are all working to the same end. However you can't repeat that first time you achieve something. You never have the same fear and nervous anticipation entering a boss fight or relief and excitement when you finally defeat a boss as you get the first time. Wipes can't ever make that experience new again,  and would probably drive people in PVE away from the game once they had ascended. 

Our  2 man tribe maintains bases on each of the maps, and there are still things I want or like to do by myself on most of the maps.   I still went home to the island a bred some Thylas during the event.  While I was there collecing eggs and waiting for imprint timer  I  showed a new guy who had just setup along the beach from us how the easter eggs worked for getting chibis,  so I made a new friend just because he asked a question about the eggs on the beach.  People still lend blueprints or craft items for each other, I still sit in as an extra body for one man tribes trying to get a boss run done if they need a rider for a bit of support or to wrangle their pig as they control their rex or whatever army.  It's still a community but people are at different stages of their journey.

Maybe you could start a discord for the server you play on currently and encourage people to join that so that tribes can get together for boss runs and stuff to give you more of a community feel. 

Ultimately try not to overthink it. just do what makes you happy,  good luck to you. 

2 hours ago, Ocicat said:

They used to have what you're talking about called "Cross Arks." Not sure if they still have them but back when I started playing I tried out PvP. My friends chose CrossArk3 to play on. This was the Island, Center, and Scorched Earth maps. Thing was you could only transfer between maps on the CrossArk3. So massive breeding lines, all the best BPs, etc couldn't get into the CrossArk. Only what was found in CrossArk3 was available to those on that CrossArk. Again not sure if that still exists today or if it ever existed for PvE but that would be the closest thing you're talking about that Ark has done.

But then you run into the same issues eventually as others have mentioned. Once the Island, Center and Scorched Earth have been around for a while what happens once Aberration drops, and then Extinction? Genesis? All the breeding lines will eventually infect the new maps despite being on a Crossark. The only real solution is unofficial if that's what you want. Host your own server with the restrictions that you'd want to play with. Build a community of people to play with that will keep playing with you on your journey through new maps as they are released. But I wouldn't count on what you're asking for to happen on Officials, people get attached to their tames they've had for years and want to keep moving forward with them, godlike stats and all.

CrossArk sounds pretty neat! I never did notice or experience it. You are correct though, Once its around for a year, the people on those servers have established lines and its no longer any different from any other original official servers.

The only way around it is, as you said, Unofficial, Or every time they release a new map, it comes with its own Crossark set of servers including the new map, and a set of the old maps all fresh. While it would be cool, its not possible. It would require them to make MORE servers, and that's just not an option. They already have server issues, and a lot of servers running 0-2 players on average.

2 hours ago, Hemplethwaite said:

I'm PVE from early access and I like to just do my own thing a lot of the time.

I know it's nice to have a good community on a server but people will always want different things.

If you are lucky you can catch a server right at the sweet spot when people are buzzing and the server has a real together feel. I've had that a few times on Ark,  In legacy as everyone was pushing to try and defeat the then oh so hard Dragon boss,  through all the servers I've played on to right now on Genesis with different tribes working together  to get the missions and the final boss fights.  And that can be great as you all work to the same goal.

It always happens with a new map when tribes are all working to the same end. However you can't repeat that first time you achieve something. You never have the same fear and nervous anticipation entering a boss fight or relief and excitement when you finally defeat a boss as you get the first time. Wipes can't ever make that experience new again,  and would probably drive people in PVE away from the game once they had ascended. 

Our  2 man tribe maintains bases on each of the maps, and there are still things I want or like to do by myself on most of the maps.   I still went home to the island a bred some Thylas during the event.  While I was there collecing eggs and waiting for imprint timer  I  showed a new guy who had just setup along the beach from us how the easter eggs worked for getting chibis,  so I made a new friend just because he asked a question about the eggs on the beach.  People still lend blueprints or craft items for each other, I still sit in as an extra body for one man tribes trying to get a boss run done if they need a rider for a bit of support or to wrangle their pig as they control their rex or whatever army.  It's still a community but people are at different stages of their journey.

Maybe you could start a discord for the server you play on currently and encourage people to join that so that tribes can get together for boss runs and stuff to give you more of a community feel. 

Ultimately try not to overthink it. just do what makes you happy,  good luck to you. 

All very good points, and very true. The only real answer is Unofficial, because the alternatives aren't plausible. Sure would be nice though. I guess I just crave those experiences. Extinction, for example, would have lasted and held a player base for A LOT longer if some servers were not opened. People would have to still breed up Armies, or Gigas, to run red Drops and work as a team. Instead, Day 1 of transfers everyone brought in their 375m hatch gigas at the time and solod everything.

Genesis is next up on the chopping block. IF they open transfers, which as history shows they will eventually, everyone will just insta run every boss mission on Alpha difficulty with ease. Farm it for what its worth, then the map dies as everyone spreads out again. I guess I just hate seeing the maps go easy mode and wanna retain that feeling new maps have.

I have a discord and a few people that tag along to servers, just nothing huge by any means. Thanks for the response!

this is absolutely accurate, all the dino blackmarket around ARK made it a pay to win game

it's time the developers acknowledge this and wipe all servers to start over without transfer because if you don't want to give money to the blackmarket then you have no chance to last on official servers, that's a much bigger problem than meshing

I know the black market are going to attack me like savages because they're going to fear for their wallet, all I have to say is bring it on, you don't scare me

23 minutes ago, ChrisGamingYT said:

this is absolutely accurate, all the dino blackmarket around ARK made it a pay to win game

it's time the developers acknowledge this and wipe all servers to start over without transfer because if you don't want to give money to the blackmarket then you have no chance to last on official servers, that's a much bigger problem than meshing

I know the black market are going to attack me like savages because they're going to fear for their wallet, all I have to say is bring it on, you don't scare me

When it comes to PVP, that is a massive issue for sure. However that's a painful hit to all the legit players that have A LOT of invested time, and in no way is it fair to them.

At this point in the game, Wildcard has no room to wipe all official servers. "Everyone" would stop playing the game. Only option to counter that for Official servers is, a new set of transfer locked servers for people to escape to. But as I've said a lot already, it's just not viable sadly. 

Archived