extend event Will we be able to extend the easter event?

Zahlea

Does anybody know if single player and dedicated servers will be able to extend the event? We used to be able to but the Christmas event was only partially available after (with the most important part - Raptor Claus - missing). I believe the V-Day event could be extended but they removed the candies. Has anybody heard anything about if that's going to happen again? Or, if you know why they removed that option?

It really takes the fun out of the event that I can't choose to make it longer if I want to when playing on my own. I just feel forced to play during the event, which of course makes me feel like playing less. Instead of fun, the event is stressful - all because I'm no longer allowed to make it longer for myself!

I really hope we will be able to - I run a cluster with a lot of folks affected by COVID19 who are essential services who have not had an adequate amount of time to be able to enjoy the event and several have requested an extension which I absolutely would love to give but I haven't seen anything posted since all the events were "broken" when genesis launched.

Yeah, me too! I was heartbroken (as heartbroken as I get from a game) that the winter event didn't stick. I had other plans during the holidays but didn't sweat it as I felt confident I could extend it as I did the year before. But no such luck. So it's actually been a problem since a couple of months before Genesis even launched! The Halloween and Turkey events in October and November, I could extend just fine, so the change started with Winter Wonderland. That's a shame, too, since that's my favourite event!

I had no idea such a seemingly small change would affect me this way. It's incredible how that change alone managed to turn the events from something fun that I really looked forward to into something I'd rather forget about and that makes me not want to play because it's just too stressful to have to do it within the time Wildcard decides.

15 minutes ago, Rio4201 said:

If you are running private clusters, you should only need to put the event parameters into your command line to bring those events back,  I can't recall the exact flag it was to start up the event, but last year we had it running an extra few weeks.  *ponders*

Thanks :) I do actually know this and this is what doesn't work. Starting from last Winter Wonderland, even if you do this, parts of the event are missing because the patches that end the event take things out of the codebase so they no longer exist (like Raptor Claus in Winter Wonderland).

PS. the flag is the command line argument -ActiveEvent=Easter (or whatever event you want) when you start up the server.

6 minutes ago, ReeceOH said:

Extending the event would be great because with all the crashes on a couple servers I play on, I think I still have only gotten to play half of the time I would be able to without waiting for servers to come back up.  I am not talking about maintenance but actual crashes.

Are you on official though? In that case there's not going to be an option to extend it, I'm afraid. Only if you're running your own dedicated server or single player.

24 minutes ago, Zahlea said:

Thanks :) I do actually know this and this is what doesn't work. Starting from last Winter Wonderland, even if you do this, parts of the event are missing because the patches that end the event take things out of the codebase so they no longer exist (like Raptor Claus in Winter Wonderland).

PS. the flag is the command line argument -ActiveEvent=Easter (or whatever event you want) when you start up the server.

Are you on official though? In that case there's not going to be an option to extend it, I'm afraid. Only if you're running your own dedicated server or single player.

Thank you heheh I'd forgotten that flag, we shut down our private cluster last year, starting to consider going back to that approach though, official servers are completely screwed. lol. 

5 hours ago, ReeceOH said:

I am on a official server but it can't hurt to wish even if you are relatively sure it won't happen.

No, definitely not! :) While you can't use the extension way of doing it with command line arguments, you can still hope that Wildcard decides to extend the event - that's not very uncommon.

Archived