I'm at a loss of words... Need help

Neptane

I'm at a loss of words... Need help

Hello,

It's hard to put this into words because I'm so shocked at what happened. I transferred to aberration and came back to my genesis server 30 minutes before the big 10 gb patch hit on 4/14/2020. Our server crashed when it came back up and rolled back 3 hours. I lost my character and I did not purchase a 2nd copy of genesis for an alt. I put in a ticket for character restoration and the GM is backed up 6 weeks. I provided my character implant screenshot and tribe log. I will lose everything. I have no way of refreshing my base or tames. Is there anything I can do? I feel so angry and it is so hard not to act like a child. So much time is going to be lost.

Thank you for reading.

This is one of the saddest facts about this colossal waste of time that they've constructed. 

For future note: Always have at 'least' one trustworthy person in your tribe in case these things happen. Don't ever expect anyone with any sort of authority to help you; any assistance must come from within your own community and close friends. Otherwise, just consider that any GM will simply not care, and resident trolls will simply mock and laugh at your pleas for assistance. It is the sad nature of this realm. 

All that I can offer are insight and supplies.

5 hours ago, Masurao said:

This is one of the saddest facts about this colossal waste of time that they've constructed. 

For future note: Always have at 'least' one trustworthy person in your tribe in case these things happen. Don't ever expect anyone with any sort of authority to help you; any assistance must come from within your own community and close friends. Otherwise, just consider that any GM will simply not care, and resident trolls will simply mock and laugh at your pleas for assistance. It is the sad nature of this realm. 

All that I can offer are insight and supplies.

Ya normally I have an alt but I could not afford a 2nd copy of Genesis. What is even more confusing is someone on my server lost his character as well during that patch and they were already able to restore his character. Not sure why but they told him his character would be in the cloud and he was able to get it back. Not sure why they can't do the same for me if he was helped that quick. 6 weeks is a little crazy.

On 4/18/2020 at 9:24 AM, Neptane said:

Ya normally I have an alt but I could not afford a 2nd copy of Genesis. What is even more confusing is someone on my server lost his character as well during that patch and they were already able to restore his character. Not sure why but they told him his character would be in the cloud and he was able to get it back. Not sure why they can't do the same for me if he was helped that quick. 6 weeks is a little crazy.

A second copy for an alternate character..? Why would you need that? Also support seems useless-to-randomized at best.

The fact it takes WC more than a day to restore your character is proof the company is utter trash and their leadership is a joke. 

I work in the retail world and for their customer support gms to work banker hours is moronic. And if you have a back log that long and have not hired more staff you should be fired for gross incompetence. OR maybe fix a bug that has existed from day one of server transfers!!

Great game awful developers and gms.

Unfortunately, the "It happens it's Ark" mentality is all too real. I've always spoken my mind so today will be no different. A game studio with a title that has this much popularity should be held accountable and should be looking out for it's player base. Issues like character deletions due to rollbacks shouldn't even be an issue, those holes should have been plugged long ago, if it means forking over the dough to put the player files into a backup cloud storage then so be it. There's a dozen ways I can think of to back up that information online and locally that would be feasible in case there is an issue like that.   Again I say this, "Your player base is your bread and butter, screw them,  you screw yourselves."

35 minutes ago, Rio4201 said:

Unfortunately, the "It happens it's Ark" mentality is all too real. I've always spoken my mind so today will be no different. A game studio with a title that has this much popularity should be held accountable and should be looking out for it's player base. Issues like character deletions due to rollbacks shouldn't even be an issue, those holes should have been plugged long ago, if it means forking over the dough to put the player files into a backup cloud storage then so be it. There's a dozen ways I can think of to back up that information online and locally that would be feasible in case there is an issue like that.   Again I say this, "Your player base is your bread and butter, screw them,  you screw yourselves."

You people DO know that the company is working to untangle code that was made before any of them worked at this company right? Most of the coders have been replaced long since it was written.

It's not exactly easy to fix something when you can barely tell how it was put together in the first place.

I lost my character also, a few days ago. I put in a ticket and received an automated reply but nothing since. I do have a second account, with a character on most bases on the servers I have them, but if I don't at least get my tekgrams back if they restore my character, I'm done. This game is broken, and not fit for purpose. I've been struggling to find a reason to keep playing for some weeks now. It's always 1 step forward, 2 steps back and Ark is bringing me no joy, only frustration.

If you like to just stay inside your base breeding animals, It works ok, mostly, but anything more adventurous is a crapshoot that more often than not ends badly.  

TL;DR

This game is a mess, the devs don't seem to care, and I don't need much persuading not to play anymore.

3 minutes ago, DallanARK said:

You people DO know that the company is working to untangle code that was made before any of them worked at this company right? Most of the coders have been replaced long since it was written.

It's not exactly easy to fix something when you can barely tell how it was put together in the first place.

Yeah, that's no excuse. The game isn't that old, and I've played 20 year old MMO's that run without issue. Also, all the new content released is just as fugged up. Maybe they should just hire better coders.

1 minute ago, DallanARK said:

That's fair and does explain quite a bit, i didn't know that actually.   One of the projects we were working on had the same problem, we started off with a basic concept and wrote the majority of the engine and things in C, after awhile that small start turned into millions of lines of code and became almost impossible to navigate through and debug. It could literally take you 3 or 4 days to find the offending line of code just to fix the problem. Eventually the bean counters and company brass decided to redo most of the work we'd done and had since gone with an object orientated approach making it much easier to debug, but their decision to change the game that dramatically alienated the loyal player base we had and angered the community to the point of mass unsubscribing and eventual shutdown of the servers.  If what you are saying is true, then I feel for the team, sifting through someone else's disorganized code is a lot like trying to find a specific single strand in a tightly wound ball of yarn. 

3 minutes ago, Rio4201 said:

That's fair and does explain quite a bit, i didn't know that actually.   One of the projects we were working on had the same problem, we started off with a basic concept and wrote the majority of the engine and things in C, after awhile that small start turned into millions of lines of code and became almost impossible to navigate through and debug. It could literally take you 3 or 4 days to find the offending line of code just to fix the problem. Eventually the bean counters and company brass decided to redo most of the work we'd done and had since gone with an object orientated approach making it much easier to debug, but their decision to change the game that dramatically alienated the loyal player base we had and angered the community to the point of mass unsubscribing and eventual shutdown of the servers.  If what you are saying is true, then I feel for the team, sifting through someone else's disorganized code is a lot like trying to find a specific single strand in a tightly wound ball of yarn. 

Bingo, this guy gets it 100%

3 minutes ago, DallanARK said:

Bingo, this guy gets it 100%

No he doesn't, stop being a fanboi apologist. Every game has that problem, I can live with some bugs, some crashes, but the outright losing of characters and not even having backups? THAT SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN. 

Also, this is an official forum, and the very least they should do is have a community relations spokesperson to reply with a little sympathy for the disgruntled players.

4 hours ago, Neptane said:

To keep one on genesis to hold my tribe in case this happens again.

Ah, you're working too hard I see. A much more cost-effective solution is to keep another character somewhere else - in any other server, mind you - after giving them access to your home server tribe.

A dual admin, I'd say. 

Were something like this to happen, you'd only need to bring this backup character over and possibly even overwrite your current. You'd lose tekgrams and all the other fancy perks, but at least you wouldn't lose everything just because you're waiting on support that moves slower than an unconscious achatina.

You have a tribemate, yes?

5 minutes ago, Masurao said:

Ah, you're working too hard I see. A much more cost-effective solution is to keep another character somewhere else - in any other server, mind you - after giving them access to your home server tribe.

At face value this seems a good idea, but you run the risk of losing that character as well if you need to transfer them around. You might think its a very small chance, but it's still possible. I've lost 2 characters in as many weeks.

1 hour ago, Rio4201 said:

Unfortunately, the "It happens it's Ark" mentality is all too real.

If you don't adopt this attitude then you'll just spend your time frustrated and angry. It is unfortunate.

Long ago WC should have done some analysis of the tickets and actually fixed some issues like character loss from happening.

29 minutes ago, Frael said:

No he doesn't, stop being a fanboi apologist. Every game has that problem, I can live with some bugs, some crashes, but the outright losing of characters and not even having backups? THAT SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN. 

Also, this is an official forum, and the very least they should do is have a community relations spokesperson to reply with a little sympathy for the disgruntled players.

There's no arguing that it shouldn't ever happen, but I can and do know how it is to have a code project so screwed up that trying to do anything with it requires the skill of a neurosurgeon. At least under the premise of that's what actually happening and why the team has such a problem fixing things, I can live with that and relate to it. Otherwise I'll just  be pissed off, disgruntled and hostile and that's no bueno.

3 hours ago, Frael said:

I lost my character also, a few days ago. I put in a ticket and received an automated reply but nothing since. I do have a second account, with a character on most bases on the servers I have them, but if I don't at least get my tekgrams back if they restore my character, I'm done. This game is broken, and not fit for purpose. I've been struggling to find a reason to keep playing for some weeks now. It's always 1 step forward, 2 steps back and Ark is bringing me no joy, only frustration.

If you like to just stay inside your base breeding animals, It works ok, mostly, but anything more adventurous is a crapshoot that more often than not ends badly.  

TL;DR

This game is a mess, the devs don't seem to care, and I don't need much persuading not to play anymore.

Makes me happy knowing you most likely wont get a character back with tekgrams 

Archived