Updates

Xenithar

What is up with patches?

What is going on with patches recently? They claim to fix issues my tribe (and allied tribes) have never experienced while introducing many new bugs, wiping configs without warning, and removing all kinds of stuff from The Island. Since December (or close to it) I have noticed these bugs crop up.

1. When naming a dino you now need to click in the textbox before you type. You can now press enter to accept the name. Prior to this when the name dino dialog popped up you could start tying, but had to click the accept button and enter did nothing. Prior to the tek UI, the old stone UI worked properly. Dialog popped up, you could type a name and press enter and all was good. It keeps getting worse! This is just plain annoying, though not game-breaking.
  2. At least two configuration file wipes which are actually pointless. Genesis did one and we got one this morning. Both times I had a backup of my configuration files and both times copying them back restored my settings. This makes wiping them in the first place pointless, because you're only affecting kids who know nothing of backups. If you are doing this to combat users who have modified configs in a way to remove trees, rocks, and other mess then it isn't going to work if they merely need to restore a backup. Instead, don't wipe our damn volume levels and graphics settings! Wipe all custom macros and simply check upon startup that variables are within the specified ranges of the sliders and if not, set to the default value. That instantly kills this type of crap and it is cake to do. For example, after reading the INI in, simply parse the values. Take master volume as the example. If it is below 0.0f or above 1.0f, reset it to some sane default. if((iMasterVol < 0.0f) || (iMasterVol > 1.0f)) { this->iMasterVol = 1.0f; }
  3. The Island looks barren as hell. It isn't just the terrain textures being messed up, it is like the foliage has been removed. Lots of places where there used to be grass (the 3D grass) there is no longer anything. It is like no testing was done and now we're on a 2015 or 2016 version of the map, only with the snow biome and redwood biome. How did this happen?
  4. You implemented a "feature" which is broken by design. The tek troughs are supposed to show a radius of where they feed. The issue is that this "feature" does not store its setting according to your own patch notes. So if a user turns the ridiculous green ring of blindness off, leaves render distance and returns, the rings are back! Not only that, but now all troughs (built-in and mod) have these damn things on them. They blind players at night, make it hard to see around your base during the day, and there are currently no plans to fix it? Really? Why release this prior to it working right? At least get the damn thing to store the setting so we're not constantly blinded when entering our bases! I bet this makes finding enemy bases a BREEZE on PvP official...
  5. Are we EVER going to get a fix for the equus riding bug? It affects unicorns also. 99% of the time when a player rides into render on an equus or unicorn, the models spawn and then the player model sits in place, floating in the air and not animating while the horse models ride up. It looks like tamed horses riding around with nobody on them. Really bad that this has existed for so long.
  6. Since the Christmas event we have noticed that, at least on The Island, when a supply drop descends and becomes usable, the ball of electrical light at the top does not disappear! So every drop on the map has that ball of light with the bolts of electricity up there until the drop disappears or is looted.
  7. Another drop bug introduced at Christmas also deals with drops. If a drop has two items in it and I transfer ONE item to my inventory, the drop disappears, making it impossible for my friend to loot the other item. What the actual heck? Why does this still exist four months later? If there are four items and I loot two, it poofs. The only way to get what you want and leave anything behind is to loot EVERYTHING with the transfer all button, then drop what you do not want. Why?

There are probably more, but these are the most annoying bugs to me right now. I seriously feel like Wildcard is not paying attention to what they are doing. Very aggravated this morning with the wiped config. I did simply restore my backup but why wipe it in the first place?

I would like to add to your list above a couple more bugs. First it seems every large update now brakes Linux servers from starting until a patch is issued. Does this REALLY have to happen every time? It seem like the first test of any patch would be "Does the game load on all supported platforms?" kind of common since. Kind of harsh but hey WC own it you appear pretty stupid with out any QA.

Do you really have to reset all our configurations on Large updates? Why do you not store the config on the player hard drive?

Harvesting Rates have been dropped by at least x3 multiplier

Dino's do not appear to eat Mejo berries from troughs

At least two configuration file wipes which are actually pointless. Genesis did one and we got one this morning. Both times I had a backup of my configuration files and both times copying them back restored my settings. This makes wiping them in the first place pointless, because you're only affecting kids who know nothing of backups. If you are doing this to combat users who have modified configs in a way to remove trees, rocks, and other mess then it isn't going to work if they merely need to restore a backup. Instead, don't wipe our damn volume levels and graphics settings! Wipe all custom macros and simply check upon startup that variables are within the specified ranges of the sliders and if not, set to the default value. That instantly kills this type of crap and it is cake to do. For example, after reading the INI in, simply parse the values. Take master volume as the example. If it is below 0.0f or above 1.0f, reset it to some sane default. if((iMasterVol < 0.0f) || (iMasterVol > 1.0f)) { this->iMasterVol = 1.0f; }

Couldn't agree more with all of the above but especially #2. I am beyond sick of getting my configuration files wiped just about every time Wildcard decides to release a "Patch". Luckily, I have backups myself as well, but for the people who don't, it is a major pain to get everything back to the way you had it set. It's getting to the point where people need to start making copies of the entire game directory so if / when Wildcard does a wipe, you can restore the whole thing, pathetic.

Servers are crashing over and over. It's likely they're going to update with a fix and roll back to the initial save prior to this. This ill greatly reduce the chances of tons of players losing characters and minimize duping as well.

This means that anything you've done since the update took the servers offline will be gone.

A definition of 15 mins

time 0 minutes Announcement : Server coming down in 15 mins 

time +0 minutes - Player: oh i have 15 mins to get to safety

time +0 minutes Server : you have been disconected 

time +0 minutes Player checks servers - no servers responding 

A wildcard 15 minutes seems not to comply with the generally accepted norm. Perhaps this is some new form of Time Travel that they are working on ?

Please inform your community

3rd server maintenance in a few hours, i dont see any topics with info about that, server gets taken down immediately with almost no preperation time ...

on the last server down i lost 6!! event colored (most likely), decent lvl wyvern eggs because of this arbitrary ...

wanted to pick them up when you announced it, when server was back they were gone ...

its really not funny to get thrown out without having at least 5 minutes to put away stuff or fly back to your base ...

3 times in a row ...

without any info whats happening ...

i mean, do you even care at all?

I did not pay anay attention and accidently loaded my Singleplayer game without mods because the settings where reseted.

I dont think WC can imagine what happens when you load a savegame without S+ Castles,Keeps and Fortress etc , HG stacking mod, classic flyers etc.

everything is now gone and I don't have a backup.

Thanks WC

and my ressources still wont grow back on Genesis singleplayer, big shoutout to the Devs !

56 minutes ago, Ultradmb said:

I did not pay anay attention and accidently loaded my Singleplayer game without mods because the settings where reseted.

I dont think WC can imagine what happens when you load a savegame without S+ Castles,Keeps and Fortress etc , HG stacking mod, classic flyers etc.

everything is now gone and I don't have a backup.

Thanks WC

and my ressources still wont grow back on Genesis singleplayer, big shoutout to the Devs !

That what backups are for. If you don't make backups, it's on you. 

47 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

That what backups are for. If you don't make backups, it's on you. 

That may be true but why do the updates mess with my settings in the first place?

Some people only want to play and having fun for some hours and don't want to back up their files every time they close the game.

In this case we had two updates close together.

It's easy to blame things like this on the player but this is WC fault in my opinion, because this game is a buggy mess and WC should wake up and start fixing the game.

There is no other game in my Steam library which needs constant backups for my single player game.

• Joebl0w13 changed the title to Updates

Archived