3 hours ago, Dinobros2000 said:

I’d say the island and go through ark story mode kind of.... you still get to play scorched and extinction.

I don’t really enjoy  the story mode i mostly just watch video’s about the story mode, i do like extincion but it’s prettig hard it’s more a you het a snow owl from their and leave you can make bases there but it is still not a beginner map.

but can you play valguero or ragna and still upload your character and stuff to se or extincion?

3 hours ago, Keebs said:

All those maps are fun but it really comes down to how experienced you are, like if you're fairly new to the game I'd say SE probably wouldn't be the best option for you, it'd be crazy hard. Valguero is awesome, but overall my personal favorite is Rag because I just think it looks the best plus you can get griffin!

I only got 40 hours...? so i am not that good at playing throug i do watch alot of YouTube video’ so i know how to do stuff but at real game experience, nah not really.

I play now on theisland44 official and my friend has a lot of stuff but the best I have ever got from grinding my self is on singleplayer with official except taming 3, was a pachy really small starter house 3x2 and not even a smithy I do had a diplodocus and a baryonyx. But still it’s not much

• valguero is a good place for a main base, as it has 100% wind in many places so you can have unlimited power.  you can find plenty of rexs to bred for boss fights, and get a good hunk of the tek engrams from doing the boss fight there at the obelisks. you also have a good selection of dino's to choose from and several biomes (snow, forest, redwood, swamp).
  • the island and ragnarok are good choices for the same reasons as valguero, however I've never found 100% wind on any of them.
  • Scorched earth is a challenge all its own with the constant storms, and 100% wind only found in the outer desert areas.
  • Extinction, the only real challenge is getting between the biomes to get the dino's you want or to setup teleporters so you can easily get from one to the other without having to traverse the currupted zone.
  • Genesis - if you start there you won't be able to get any of the previous tek,  no areas seem to have 100% wind, and the lava zone your bases get destroyed pretty easily no matter what you build them from.  Its a nice map, but if playing on official can be really hard to find a build spot moreso then all the other maps, as 50% of the map is a no build zone (unless you join one of the no mission servers).
  • The Center - Can't really comment on this map, only played it once, and that was early on, at that time the dino spawns on the map made absolutely no sense for the biomes.

there's my take on them.

1 hour ago, Aylana314159 said:

Then you should play the Island. Lots of biomes to explore and creatures to tame. 

Yeah I think The Island is a little common for me... just want some new adventure and every sever i join their is zero nice building spots, so I that you would now some better maps center looks pretty though

1 hour ago, caleb68 said:
  • valguero is a good place for a main base, as it has 100% wind in many places so you can have unlimited power.  you can find plenty of rexs to bred for boss fights, and get a good hunk of the tek engrams from doing the boss fight there at the obelisks. you also have a good selection of dino's to choose from and several biomes (snow, forest, redwood, swamp).
  • the island and ragnarok are good choices for the same reasons as valguero, however I've never found 100% wind on any of them.
  • Scorched earth is a challenge all its own with the constant storms, and 100% wind only found in the outer desert areas.
  • Extinction, the only real challenge is getting between the biomes to get the dino's you want or to setup teleporters so you can easily get from one to the other without having to traverse the currupted zone.
  • Genesis - if you start there you won't be able to get any of the previous tek,  no areas seem to have 100% wind, and the lava zone your bases get destroyed pretty easily no matter what you build them from.  Its a nice map, but if playing on official can be really hard to find a build spot moreso then all the other maps, as 50% of the map is a no build zone (unless you join one of the no mission servers).
  • The Center - Can't really comment on this map, only played it once, and that was early on, at that time the dino spawns on the map made absolutely no sense for the biomes.

there's my take on them.

Thank you alot!!!!!

I don’t really use wind because power and electricity aren’t my number 1 spot on do-to list i rather like to tame a thyla or a argent and griffins?

there's my take on them.

This is pretty accurate nice job!

• Volunteer Moderator

the island and ragnarok are good choices for the same reasons as valguero, however I've never found 100% wind on any of them.

There are plenty, just find area named "Wilderness". For example, Herbivore Island on The Island, or the whole pit at 66/50 on Ragnarok.

My tribe has a presence on several maps, would still say that the island is a great place to start and really learn the game and then you can branch out from there. Here's what appeals to us for the other maps though of course everybody plays for their own reasons and ours are far from unique. I'll go in order released:

Island - Original map, been around since the beta days so its well explored and has lots of guides and tutorials. You can really learn the basics from where to build all the way to boss battles and while it provides a challenge its a pretty easy place to survive (unless you build in thatch where gigas spawn lol). Once you get familiar with things you can learn the caves, get artifacts and get familiar with boss battles, they're easier on the island since you only face 1 boss at a time whereas other maps you face 2-3. My tribe started on an island map but we only use it for occasional boss battles and the tek cave currently.

The Center - Dabbled with it a bit but its notorious for having bad support from WC and was generally made obsolete by Rag and then Valguero. Some people swear by it but you'd have to ask them why, we don't have a presence here.

Scorched Earth - First DLC, all desert map and was the first map to add wyverns to the game, a major tame you want to get familiar with. You have 3 types to choose from lightning, fire, and poison. Overall levels are about the same as the island but a little more challenging a map to start out on since you'll constantly be battling the heat. Also rock golems will scare the crap out of you until you learn how to spot them. There's only one boss to battle on here but he's a slippery one you don't want to underestimate. Tougher that the Island bosses but not as challenging as multiple foes. Most of us don't play on this map but one tribemate has a deep love for it so he maintains a presence. It is very nice for obtaining wyvern milk from low level females though which helps in raising wyverns.

Ragnarok - Abundant resources with plenty of room to build a base even with pillars abound. Animal levels tend to be higher than some of the other maps, especially the island. Its scar is superior to Scorched Earth when it comes to wyvern egg levels and in addition to the original 3 types Rag also has Ice wyverns in the ice biome but there's only 5 nest spots. Easy access to obs for boss battles but you'll face 2 foes instead of 1 so its more of a challenge. Probably in between the Island and Scorched in terms of difficulty starting out, leaning more towards the Island. We use this map for Polymer, Crystal, Oil/Gas, Wyvern eggs, and general taming and raising of animals. It's pretty much our mainstay server.

Aberration - Probably the hardest map to survive on if you're new to the game. Everything wants to kill you even the plant life and some areas will kill you before you even know whats happening. Also there's no flyers like wyverns, argentavis, or pteras so that's an extra challenge but there are excellent climbing and gliding dinos to somewhat make up for that loss. All that being said, high risk equals high reward. There's several worthy unique tames and structures to Aberration and it is hands DOWN the most metal dense map on Ark. You're welcome to start here but like I said its a definite challenge if you're just starting out so it might be advisable to get established on another server and then just transfer in the materials to quickly build a base instead of starting from square one with nothing. Save you a lot of dying. Only one boss to battle on here but he is not a walk in the park if you're new, not at all. We almost primarily use this map for metal harvesting, we build almost all non tek metal structures on this map for all our servers because of that and my buddy tames glowtails from time to time on here, but it's mostly about the metal for us.

Extinction - Can be resource rich in spots and has many unique tames but overall the main appeal to this map is how easy it is to obtain element. Element is used to craft and power the tek structures in the game and is generally an end game feature that you're not going to use much when you're still building in stone, though it can make life easier. You can harvest it easily in the city but your time is best spent on element veins out in the wastelands. A majority of the map is a wasteland that you don't want to build on because meteor showers will destroy your hard work so most people build in the city or one of the 3 available biomes but that makes it hard to find unoccupied spots. In addition to element there are supply drops that can grant needed resources and blueprints if you can clear them. The boss battles on this map are on another scale, look up vidoes on it before you even think about attempting them. You can start here but I would say this is probably a map to tackle once you're established on another map and want to start dabbling with tek. We use this map to obtain high level blueprints and supply element to our cloners and our tek generators on other maps, and sometimes tackle the titans but not that often.

Valguero - Free DLC and was actually a player created map so it is VERY survivor friendly with the way it was designed. Resource rich with amazing spots to build almost everywhere with decent space overall. It has a scar but only has fire and ice wyverns. A part of the map has an aberration zone where flyers aren't allowed. Boss battles have 3 enemies instead of 1 so you definitely need to know what you're doing. Good levels and a gorgeous map to explore make this a very viable choice to start out and learn the game. We mostly use this map to raid the scar, tame rock golems, and its our main boss battle server.

Genesis - Newest DLC and very different from previous installments. I can't tell you much because once I heard you couldn't build wherever you wanted I kind of lost interest. In a way it might be an advantage for you to start on this map because you don't have any experience with the other maps and it would as new to everyone else as it is to you.

Sorry for the book but I'm bored at work, hope some of the info helps you and happy hunting!

3 hours ago, RedRebelll said:

Thank you alot!!!!!

I don’t really use wind because power and electricity aren’t my number 1 spot on do-to list i rather like to tame a thyla or a argent and griffins?

I would tame a ptera first, he'll be great for you to trap both a argy and griffin, expecially if you need to pull them to your trap.

i build a 4x2 foundation base, dino gate at one side, 2 pillars snapped to the other end in direct center, 4 rows tall of door frames (16 on each side) and 4 ceiling atop.  its a good veristile pen that can be used to pull many medium dinos into for taming.  just gotta make sure the fountations are facing the right direction so you can snap those pillars in the center on the end.

you can then use the ptera to pull both argy and griffon into the pin, build up the stam on it so that it doesn't need to land.

once you get it pulled into the pen fly through the pillars and the argy and griffon both are too big to fit through, land just out of reach of it and it will stay focused on the ptera and you can run around and shut the door behind them. 

I use the pen for sabers, doedic, argy, griffon, anky among other useful starter dinos. Slapping a door way down on one of the foundations at the end keeps sabers and wolves from getting out between the pillars.

3 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

Wilderness areas are 24/7 power from the wind turbines. Try it, you will see. ;)

I know that it doesn't provide 100% wind on herbivore island, unless this is a recent change in the last few patches me building yet a windmill again to 'try it' won't yield any other results then previously.  the wind always dropped too low to power anything, even with 4 windmills.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, caleb68 said:

I know that it doesn't provide 100% wind on herbivore island, unless this is a recent change in the last few patches me building yet a windmill again to 'try it' won't yield any other results then previously.  the wind always dropped too low to power anything, even with 4 windmills.

Maybe it changed and was fixed on the island, but I had a base there on herbo island for well over 2 years and never used any generators. I know for sure it still is the case on ragnarok though, as we have a base still in a wilderness area entirely powered by wind 24/7. ?‍♂️

5 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

Maybe it changed and was fixed on the island, but I had a base there on herbo island for well over 2 years and never used any generators. I know for sure it still is the case on ragnarok though, as we have a base still in a wilderness area entirely powered by wind 24/7. ?‍♂️

been there for the past 2 1/2 years and in all that time windmills haven't provided 100%

edit in:  even the person on the little island infront of herbie had to add a geny to their base to keep things powered consistently. I donno though, Our island server has had many problems that others haven't had so that may just be one more thing to add to the list, least its not freezing every 5 minutes for everyone now though :

Archived