(PC + Steam) Ark updates take HOURS to dowload?

WolfBrinkTV

(PC + Steam) Ark updates take HOURS to dowload?

Hello PC community! New player here from Console, (5 years of experience) just started PC a week ago. So today we had an update go through, and I noticed that Ark seems to update extremely slow on PC.

Today's Patch took me just over 2 hours to download. It just finished.

I did a Speed Test mid patch and my service is at 220 download and 11 upload, so its not my connection. I also have a fairly new PC with a RTX 2070 and Ryzen 2600x with 16GB of Ram. So I also don't think it is a hardware limitation. My other games seem to update at a much faster rate. 

I did some research, and all I could find was some topics about how Ark is one of only a few games that has a wacky way of unpacking and downloading files on Steam. I just want to double check and see if there is anything i could do to speed things up or if this is normal! I'm not the most Savy with PC and how things work yet since I am a fairly new PC player!

Thanks in advance! :)

1 hour ago, captyarrr said:

Yep, they love to do grand patches during events. Also very nice when you planned your imprints. 

I'm pretty sure that it's an issue on Steams end, and that its not Wildcards fault. I think wildcard issues the update to steam, but then steam basically decides when it gets processed and pushed through. Thus no real warning from Wildcard. They just don't know. I just wanna know if its normal to take 2 hours for just an update...

23 minutes ago, WolfBrinkTV said:

I'm pretty sure that it's an issue on Steams end, and that its not Wildcards fault. I think wildcard issues the update to steam, but then steam basically decides when it gets processed and pushed through. Thus no real warning from Wildcard. They just don't know. I just wanna know if its normal to take 2 hours for just an update...

Nah, this update wasn't finished let''s say 6 weeks ago. 

But ontopic, yes it can take up a pretty long time.

Too bad some eventwyvs paid the price.

Yea, it's the general size of the update as well. They're pretty massive, and it does suck when you totally set aside a few hours in the evening to play and then you can't because of a huge patch. Especially when you have a family and so you might only get to play once or twice a week and then you lose one of those days to patches.

However, I just go play something else with my time, or post here on the forums instead!

5 hours ago, captyarrr said:

Yep, they love to do grand patches during events. Also very nice when you planned your imprints. 

Especially when you get the countdown message...and it hits before the time it said it would so you end up dying while cryoing the dinos you had imprints for and lose them all when you can finally get back in.

I just really want to know what the fu** is the purpose of such huge patches..... today i got 10gb patch to download and my steam just decided to reinstal whole damn game.... WHY I ASK WHY ????!!! DEVS do something about your game file compression bcs steam just can't handle it... And my game after 3 hours and almost completing whole thing just decided to cancel whole process.... I got 1000mb/s fiber connection and only ssd drives in my pc... all games download in like minutes.... Only ARK is giving me such hard times i just want to lob my pc out of window...

20 minutes ago, ntfth said:

Especially when you get the countdown message...and it hits before the time it said it would so you end up dying while cryoing the dinos you had imprints for and lose them all when you can finally get back in.

word of warning from years of playing when WC says 15 mins time pack up shop NOW unless u are taming and / or in base with nothing time sensitive / death incuring etc just do it now and log its so much easier

4 hours ago, Duffmek said:

word of warning from years of playing when WC says 15 mins time pack up shop NOW unless u are taming and / or in base with nothing time sensitive / death incuring etc just do it now and log its so much easier

I was inside my base. Had multiple basilos and gigas with imprints due before the time it was supposed to go down which is when I logged on.  Went to pod everything so I could go to sleep without missing any of them due to the update. Proceeded to drown in my water pen after getting kicked out of the game when there was supposed to be five minutes left.

Archived