Best graphics according to my PC

SpecialAgent5487

Best graphics according to my PC

Hello everyone, lately I've been struggling with finding out valid graphics settings fit for my computer's properties. Here are my main pc specs: 

- Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20 GHz

- 12.0 GB RAM

- 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

if there's any more information you need to be provided with in order to give me a better answer feel free to ask me, will try to reply asap. I really thank anyone who's going to help me!

9 hours ago, Aylana314159 said:

Low to medium settings.

What about the resolution? Do you have any suggestions on that?

4 hours ago, Dinobros2000 said:

I’d say low all except texture high or medium, smooth as butter and still looks great! The sky and mesh texture aren’t really needed, only thing is I can’t see the map coordinates well but that’s ok.

What about the resolution? Do you have any suggestions on that?

https://windowsreport.com/ark-survival-evolved-graphics-settings/

Follow this guide, it can help your game run a lot smoother. 
About your resolution, I would recommend using the resolution your monitor is made for. You should be able to run 1920 x 1080  no problem, if you have low to medium settings and follow the guide above. 

A few things it doesn't mention is:

- Type in: "r.bloomquality 0" in console, gives a minor boost but also takes away the annoying flare / shine  of light sources. This has to be applied everytime you launch the game. 
- Press the "End" button on your keyboard, to disable floating names if you have a lot of tames in your base, this is a huge FPS boost while looking at many tames. The names are not great to look at anyway. 

- Toggle on the "Disable menu transitions" in options aswell. Makes you open inventories a lot faster and make the game feel a bit smoother overall.

32 minutes ago, TraXz said:

Windowed mode causes FPS drops. If you want higher settings, run fullscreen... 

so you're telling me its faster to output a larger size picture than a much smaller one in a corner of your monitor.

your cpu takes a hit with that. not your gpu. either way there's not much of a difference except its now harder to reference anything to play ark.

you can also do your gpu some love by using t.maxfps=60. game defaults it to 200

8 hours ago, HiImZech said:

so you're telling me its faster to output a larger size picture than a much smaller one in a corner of your monitor.

your cpu takes a hit with that. not your gpu. either way there's not much of a difference except its now harder to reference anything to play ark.

you can also do your gpu some love by using t.maxfps=60. game defaults it to 200

Do a simple google search if you don't believe me. I can take a few quotes for you:

"General: Games in Fullscreen have better Performance, just because the explorer.exe of Windows can take a break. In window mode, it has to render the game and everything else you have open. But, if it is fullscreen, it renders everything from your desktop when you shift there"

"Also playing 
windowed means that the game keeps everything in memory, and devotes resources to the background. This means your video card has to save some Video RAM for displaying your desktop even when you're not looking at it 90% of the time. That's less RAM available for in-game textures and stuff." 

So actually the quite opposite of what you think, and it's actually both your CPU and GPU working fullscreen or windowed...
I do get your point tho, that if you have a high end or fairly new hardware, you probably won't notice a significant difference. However, the creator of this topic is using some old hardware, so I would strongly advice him to play fullscreen.

5 hours ago, TraXz said:

Do a simple google search if you don't believe me. I can take a few quotes for you:

"General: Games in Fullscreen have better Performance, just because the explorer.exe of Windows can take a break. In window mode, it has to render the game and everything else you have open. But, if it is fullscreen, it renders everything from your desktop when you shift there"

"Also playing 
windowed means that the game keeps everything in memory, and devotes resources to the background. This means your video card has to save some Video RAM for displaying your desktop even when you're not looking at it 90% of the time. That's less RAM available for in-game textures and stuff." 

So actually the quite opposite of what you think, and it's actually both your CPU and GPU working fullscreen or windowed...
I do get your point tho, that if you have a high end or fairly new hardware, you probably won't notice a significant difference. However, the creator of this topic is using some old hardware, so I would strongly advice him to play fullscreen.

definitely not the case.

Fullscreen mode is exactly what it sounds like: the game’s display takes up your entire screen. Behind the scenes, a fullscreen application has full control over the screen output, meaning that what it’s showing has the highest priority.

Generally, in fullscreen mode you’re playing a game at your desktop resolution. If you have a 1920×1080 (1080p) monitor, when you open a fullscreen game it’s playing at 1080p.

If you have multiple monitors, you won’t be able to move between them in fullscreen mode. Your mouse cursor stays locked to the monitor showing the game. You’ll have to use Alt + Tab to jump out of a game.

• Pros: Computer dedicates most resources to the game, potentially higher frame rate than other options, can’t accidentally mouse to another monitor.
  • Cons: Mouse locked to one monitor, alt-tabbing out of a game takes a few seconds.

you potentially get more fps yes, but your pc has to work harder to put out a bigger image. your pc is still running background processes (that's why they are named background process) and all of your other user apps (like firefox, steam, itunes) are still running. the only difference is you stop yourself from watching the other screens if its not in the foreground and therefore save some rendering power.

here are links from other people with actual experience instead of google theories

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/916373-pc/75928355

https://steamcommunity.com/app/388080/discussions/0/535151589904505568/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/388080/discussions/0/152393186501442801/

do not believe everything you read on the internet. check it out yourself on your own hardware what mode ark runs better on.

1 minute ago, HiImZech said:

do not believe everything you read on the internet. check it out yourself on your own hardware what mode ark runs better on.

This.  Lots of arguments can break out with people claiming they know so much more about any given subject that the previous person.  But at the end of the day the only sure way you are going to get an answer to the question of "which is best", is to simply do it for yourself.  Run the game with different settings and windowed/non-windowed, and see what is best for you.  So much simpler than trowelling through the Internet. ?

13 hours ago, HiImZech said:

definitely not the case.

you potentially get more fps yes, but your pc has to work harder to put out a bigger image. your pc is still running background processes (that's why they are named background process) and all of your other user apps (like firefox, steam, itunes) are still running. the only difference is you stop yourself from watching the other screens if its not in the foreground and therefore save some rendering power.

here are links from other people with actual experience instead of google theories

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/916373-pc/75928355

https://steamcommunity.com/app/388080/discussions/0/535151589904505568/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/388080/discussions/0/152393186501442801/

So you point is? 
You are just saying what I just told you.  Yes your computer gives the game the highest priority, not working harder, therefore more fps... You are very contradict to your first statement. 
I diffenetly don't believe everything I read on the internet, but this is just common sense. I like how you call it "theories", when that's how it works. 

Anyways, all this doesn't matter. The creator of the topic asked to get the best graphics for his pc. 
Short answer: Fullscreen. 

I can't bother to argue about this, it's like saying 2+2 is 5, when it's 4.... 

Have a nice day. 

On 4/14/2020 at 3:31 PM, TraXz said:
On 4/14/2020 at 8:26 AM, Dinobros2000 said:

I put it to the lowest cus I didn’t want lag, I’m playing on an 4-8 year old laptop.

with textures up everything still looks good

Anti Aliasing should also be on medium atleast, or else it's start to look bad. Unless you are trying to squeeze out every fps you can :D

Seeing as of current I have absolutely everything all the way to the left and low but textures on medium and still getting 20ish yes, I would have textures low but then dinosaurs all look like an oval and I can’t tell what’s what

Archived