whats the difference between regular and ascendant crossbow tranq strength?

fuzzy1981

whats the difference between regular and ascendant crossbow tranq strength?

what is the difference between a regular crossbow and ascendant crossbow when it comes to tranquilizing animals? is there any or does the tranq effectiveness go up with the ammo you use like tranq arrows, tranq darts, and shocking tranq darts. basically is the effectiveness based on weapon, ammo, or both? im trying to take down a lvl16 giga with my mastercraft crossbow, and i hit him with close to 150 tranq arrows and nothing. so im trying to figure out a more effective way of doing this. thanks in advance for all the help it's much appreciated.

A crossbow's damage % increases the torpor on tranq arrows. So a 200% crossbow shooting tranq arrows is twice as effective. 
Same goes for a simple rifle when using tranq darts or shocking tranq darts, the ammo being fired will be more effective the higher the weapon damage  % modifier.
The type of ammo also matters. If you are shooting shocking tranq darts they are stronger than regular tranq darts. 

To calculate how much ammo I need to shoot, I sometimes use dododex.
https://www.dododex.com/taming/giganotosaurus/16

It will tell you how much ammo u need to shoot with a weapon, just don't forget to put in your damage % for the weapon. Like if you are using a 200% crossbow with tranq arrows it will take 61 shots to knock out the giga. More if you wait between shots though becuase a giga's torpor drops really fast.

thanks for the reply it is very informative. i have beaten this game once already. and have made to level 90 on the second playthrough, never gave this much thought till i lost my good crossbow and went up against this giga. im definately building a trap this time and not going to try and have my friend shoot it off the back of my tapajara. 

7 hours ago, OMCWILDCAT said:

The other thing to note on the giga is that it's torpor drops really fast so if you're trying to wait between shot you are making it harder on yourself.

I think if there are two or more people shooting and they are doing it as quick as possible -that might be detrimental. But taking one down solo I've learned to shoot as rapidly as I can with my crossbow. Not really experienced with longneck and taking em down, perhaps 2-3 second intervals?

Archived