Help with Breeding

GameFreak

im looking to learn how to breed my dinos to get ones with better stats.  i know the basics about each of the stages for the dinos, like having to hand feed the babies until the mature to the next stage, but what i really need to know is how you pass on stats? and are the stats that are passed on the ones you leveled the most?

also i'd like to know how to hatch an egg without the use of an air conditioner as well. thanks in advance.

the best way to hatch an egg without an air conditioner is to find an egg with a very high hatching temp, then use fireplaces and campfires all around it, if it gets too hot then put some out or pick it up and drop it in a river for a sec, as for how stats are passed on, the way stat inheritance goes, is it uses the base stats the animal had right after it was tamed, without having been leveled up at all, so even if you leveled it up all 59 levels, then it will still use the base stats It had. There is also a 70% chance of the baby getting the preferable stat from its parents, so even with that the chances of it all being the best are pretty slim.

First you have to tame a large number of high level dinos until you have a set worth breeding, you are looking for dinos that have abnormally high numbers in one stat post tame. Once you get enough of these that have enough different stats you can start breeding there is a 70% chance that the baby will inherit any given stat from the parent who was higher in that stat. With enough attempts you can combine all of your highest rolls into one dino, a super dino if you will.

This is a tremendous time sink as its not just about breeding them and waiting until they mature but about breeding them over and over dealing with the cool downs and the egg cooking and the gathering of insane amounts of food for your babies AND waiting on the babies maturation.

• Volunteer Moderator
56 minutes ago, GameFreak said:

is it possible to keep increasing the stats of a dino with each generation or do the stats cap out at the highest number you find while taming?

Currently, they cap at the taming stats, though may get a small boost on some stats because breeding give you 100% TE.

That is where the challenge comes in, because you have to deal with the RNG, which will sometimes troll the tar out of you.

I just did terror birds, which I had been working on for a while, but finally got the best of all of the stats into both male and female, currently with one coming out as a 213.  It took 10 generations of breeding to pull it off.  Now, I am hoping to find a few new terror birds with even a few better stats.

• Volunteer Moderator
11 minutes ago, Trentifus said:

So there is a chance that it wont die?

I will volunteer to try the 'Trentifus Incubation Method'

Perhaps I will use windowed walls instead so there is a constant breeze of cool air flowing over the egg

Depends on the type of animal the egg came from, and the temperature.

Breeze will not matter.

The game treats temperature as an attack on the player, with hyperthermal and hypothermal insulation acting as armor.   When the temperature overcomes the insulation, you will start to suffer the impacts, up to taking damage.

In the case of AC units, they do not change the temperature, they only add hyperthermal and hypothermal insulation.

Likewise, a campfire does not change the temperature, it only adds to hypothermal insulation, and reduces hyperthermal insulation.

A penguin adds hypothermal insulation. And, I believe dimetrodons add to both hypothermal and hyperthermal insulation.

Lastly, you receive some protection being in an enclosure(foundation, walls, doorway, door and ceiling; you will see the little house icon on your HUD; 112 hypo and 56 hyper insulation.

I recommend using dinomanager.com to input your tamed dinos stats (after tame, before you add any level points). Better to use the site from a PC (mobile version doesn't support certain elements). This will allow you too see which dinos are high in which areas, to help you figure out which two you should breed together to get the best stats in all areas.

Here is a screenshot of my dinomanager account. The female (lvl 202 bred) used in this example, circled in pink, was bred to the male (lvl 120 perfect tame), circled in blue. Both had opposite high level stats (male's food level should be green, ignore that). While the female had high melee, health and oxygen, the male had high stamina, food and weight. The first baby (lvl 197) we hatched from these two came out with mom's high health (+) and low stamina (-), dad's high weight (+) and low oxgen (-). Not what we were hoping for. The good news is the baby got a boost to food...so we decided to keep it to breed that one stat back to our line. When you breed a wild tame dino you get a stat boost on the resulting offspring similar to when you tame a dino. This stat boost is not present if you breed two dinos together that were both bred, not tamed. Using dinomanager, it looks like we will breed this new baby to our female Mazikeen (lvl 191) in hopes we can get her high stamina, high oxygen and high melee to pass down.

Always recommend getting 3-6 fertilized eggs from the same parents before hatching, that way you have a better chance of getting the parents to pass down the stats you are looking for in one go. We only hatched one egg (the example baby) because we were overeager to see how our new 120 male would breed into our line. But more eggs = better.

exampledinomanager.png

I didn't start breeding dinosaurs until long after i could build an air conditioner but a low tech method that might work well is to build an enclosed structure, probably at least 3x3 or 4x4 in size.  Setup a few campfires in roughly a circle in the middle and bring 2-3 dimetrodons inside before sealing it off.  With that kind of setup you should be able to deal with most temperature fluctuations but I'd recommend being nearby since heat and cold spikes can kill the eggs quickly.  If the egg is in your inventory temperatures don't affect it so pick it up if the temperatures are too extreme.

If you don't have a refrigerator I think you could just toss the eggs in a preserving bin or storage box to put the hatching process on hold.  Most eggs last at least 7 days or so after you've picked them up so you should still have plenty of time to hatch them if you need to interrupt the hatching process for whatever reason.

Archived