Insect swarm repellent?

Hesna008

Insect swarm repellent?

I was wondering if anyone has come up with an effective way to keep insect swarms out of your base? I have a base built in the bog on Genesis and they insect swarms are becoming a real nuisance. I THOUGHT I had a fantastic idea when I built crop plots all over my base and planted a Plant Species X seeds. Assuming the Plant Species X would aggro to the swarms, I ignored the swarms coming in.  That is, until I noticed that the plants do NOT attack the swarms but the swarms seem to go straight for the Plant Species X. They even destroy them but still the plan will not attack the swarm.  So..... anyone have any other idea out there? Yes the plant is set to target wild dinos and yes the plant attacks other dinos they come into the base and yes my base is gated off around the entire perimeter.

The person that is going to comment "don't build in the bog" need not comment, thank you.

Hes

7 hours ago, TheOculus said:

I have the same issue. I have a spawn point for them sandwiched between buildings. Every second or third green rain event causes them to spawn there and as soon as they see me, they start going crazy. I decided to just behemoth gate it off where they spawn till its fixed, if ever. 

They just entered my base and the first thing they go for is the Plant Species X, destroyed both in about 5 seconds.... But the plant wont defend itself?  This is bogus!

Do you know what the green rain does?  I haven't found anything about it on wiki.

v797.2 - 3/27/2020

• Activation/deactivation settings will now save on the tek alarm
  • Activation/deactivation settings will now save on the pressure plate
  • The lava on The Island in caves and the lava in the Wyvern trench on S.E. will no longer damage Magmasaur
  • Made adjustments in areas near the volcano to fix rare instances where eruptions would instantly kill players/dinos
  • Significantly reduced the frequency and slightly increased the duration of green rain in the bog biome
  • Reduced the number of insect swarms in Bog biome by about 25%
  • Added a cooldown between green rain insect swarm spawns.
  • Fixed an edge case that caused the player to be destroyed when mounting an Equus and equipping its saddle
  • Fixed multiple server crashes

Im assuming from the patch in the past, green rain has its own spawn for insect swarms of itself. 

24 minutes ago, TheOculus said:

Im assuming from the patch in the past, green rain has its own spawn for insect swarms of itself. 

during the green rain the spawns are in the same place around my base as when there isn't any.  That why i said it just seems to increase the spawn rate.  they appear alot more often around my base when the green rain is outside.

but as you quoted the patch notes on that  the reduced spawn rate didn't seem to do anything near my base.  I still end up getting swarm spawns back to back outside, as many as 13, just like before that patch.

1 hour ago, Hesna008 said:

They just entered my base and the first thing they go for is the Plant Species X, destroyed both in about 5 seconds.... But the plant wont defend itself?  This is bogus!

Do you know what the green rain does?  I haven't found anything about it on wiki.

I've seen a few videos where people have placed rollrats in a safe place outside their base, it seems the swarms are currently attracted to them but can't seem to hit the rollrat.  I will note they all had saddles on their rats, so i donno if that makes a difference.  I heard that you can tame rollrats in the lunar caves (along with shinehorn, bulbdogs and crabs) but I can't get in, they are all blocked on our server.

1 hour ago, caleb68 said:

I've seen a few videos where people have placed rollrats in a safe place outside their base, it seems the swarms are currently attracted to them but can't seem to hit the rollrat.  I will note they all had saddles on their rats, so i donno if that makes a difference.  I heard that you can tame rollrats in the lunar caves (along with shinehorn, bulbdogs and crabs) but I can't get in, they are all blocked on our server.

the rollrat thing was working for me for a while but since the last update it hasnt worked. Now they just attack my rollrat like anything else.

1 minute ago, Piffguru said:

the rollrat thing was working for me for a while but since the last update it hasnt worked. Now they just attack my rollrat like anything else.

on abberation we would take a shinehorn and toss it to the floor then place a foundation on top of it, afterwards dragging a basilisk to the foundation and the basilisk couldn't hit the shinehorn, but would stay focused on it.   I wonder if the same thing would work with the insect swarms?

• 3 weeks later...

Yup, the swarms are annoying.  I don't mind that they are there, it is a bog, and sure they suck a bit when starting out but for a level 135 survivor with all tek unlocked not being able to defend against bugs is pretty unrealistic.  I mean I can make a tek turret to take down a t-rex but cannot figure out a citronella candle or bug zapper.  Little ridiculous.

Suggestion:  Citronella Torches 

Make Citronella engram for Workbench craftable with soap, lemons and bug repellant.  Place in standing torches as fuel.

Rollrat went back to doing its job for me. Gotta place it in the right spot so its near the spawn or between you/yourbase and the spawn. 99% of the bugs that get into my base just end up circling my rollrat and die out on their own. If they do target you, just run over to your rat and put it between you and the bugs and they should switch to targeting it, then just go about your business.

Archived