PvP/PvE Dino Tier List

FaneBlackwing

I guess I'm coming from the standpoint that the environment includes terrain, and some animals are notoriously bad, or extremely good, at navigating common problems that stem from that. I am very aware of how fantastic brontos are--I killed an alpha rex with battle brontos, basically just to see how hard it was. Spoiler: it's not. But being as unwieldy as they are for traveling, I still prefer the paracer for actually moving around the Ark. So it's a fantastic short range utility animal, but a poor long range one, which is primarily why I wouldn't rank it so highly. Anyway, that's more of an anecdote.

I do think there is some variation in solo play, enough to possibly make it worth it, if the tiers incorporated how easy the animal was to acquire, which is a high consideration when you've got no backup or any form of support. Of course I'm still fresh enough from my herb only playthrough that I'm looking at it from the perspective of what I found useful throughout the game, not necessarily an endgame perspective. Naturally there's not going to be much variance from that view, since most animals just don't have the raw stats to compete.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First I play on a PVE server, currenly I'm playing on a PvPvE server (but there not really going any PvP), so I'm going to add my thought only to the PvE list:

PvE Tiering

S Tier:
(Creatures in this tier are the best of the best in a PvE environment. Many tribes seek to tame these creatures for their amazing utility and near perfect strength)

Giganotosaurus: Pure strength, bulk, and speed. Collects raw meat at a high rate.

Agreed.

Castoroides: Mobile Smithy, halves weight of basic materials and collects wood at a very high rate.

Agreed, a little bit overpowered in base damage tho-

Beelzebufo (Currently being tested for A rank viability)

Disagreed, useless since the beaver dams appeared.

Dung Beetle: Easy to tame, turns poop into Fertilizer and Oil while on wander.

Agreed.

Oviraptor: Boosts the egg laying rate of your creatures, which means more kibble!

Agreed.

Quetzal: Largest flying mount and has a platform. Can carry most creatures on the Ark!

Agreed, however, way too overpowered in weight, rendering most dinos useless compared to the Quetzal. This cerature is way too good.

Bronto: Very bulky, supports a platform, and collects berries/thatch at a high rate. High carry weight.

Disagreed. Maybe a B tier for collection berries (and maybe thatch, but Megaloceros beats it).
Supporting a platform means nothing, since you can tame a Quetzal and fly around with your platform, with 40x speed compared to the Bronto.

Mosasaur: Strong sea creature, collects raw prime very well. Perfect for crate diving.

There is no currently stronger sea creature, so Mosa is the best if you want to do anything underwater. However I do nothing underwater, because there is nothing to do.
I'm using Ichtys for collecting deep sea lootcreates. Much better (however I'm using my own trick).

Ankylo: Collects metal and stone at high rates and has good bulk/weight.

Agreed.

Direbear: Collects Fiber at a high rate, can also collect meat and berries very well!

Disagreed, I can collect 20k fiber in 5 minutes with my Sickle (playing on a 2x rate server, so make it 10k fiber in 5 minutes).

A Tier:
(Creatures in this tier have few flaws or are barely outclassed by another creature, they also have great utility to very strong, advanced tribes)

Dunkleosteus
Mammoth
Gigantopithecus
Argentavis

Paracer
Doedicurus
Plesiosaur
Rex
Spinosaurus
Direwolf

B Tier:
(Creatures in this tier have great utility for flourishing tribes or have a unique gimmick that comes in handy in many situations)

Pteranodon
Megalodon
Stego
Trike
Woolly Rhino
Carno
Megaloceros
Sabertooth
Arthropleura
Lystrosaurus

C Tier:
(Creatures in this tier have great uses for early players or have certain gimmicks that can prove useful in certain situations)

Ichthy
Dimetrodon
Dimorphodon
Pulmonoscorpius
Raptor
Sarco
Mesopithecus
Procoptodon
Manta
Carbonemys

D Tier:
(Creatures in this tier have certain gimmicks that can prove useful in PvE, but are outclassed by other creatures)

Araneo
Kairuku
Angler
Dilo
Terror Bird
Pachy
Parasaur
Phiomia

F Tier:
(Creatures in this tier have next to no utility for players in a PvE environment)

Gallimimus
Onyc
Dodo

Compy /

Anything below S tier, I don't use, because why would I? In these tiers there are 3+1 dinos, I would put to S tier:

Megaloceros: Best thatc collector, better than the slow-mo bronto.
Ichthy: You can tame it realy game, easy, fast, and makes taming a Mosa later on much easier.
Pteranodon: Same as Ichty. Early tame, opening the map to you to fly around and scout/collect anythign you want. The next step is a Quetzal.
(Maybe) Direwolf: Collecting pelt as a beast. You can use these guys in most of the caves, which is a huge help.

Everything else, is useless currently. Never used any of them (except for kibbles). There should be no tiers, only usable or not. Because why would I use an Argentavis, when I can use a Quetzal? Why would I use a Rex, when I can use a Giga (not considering boss arenas currenly).

I'd move the Plesi up to S tier on the PvE list.

It's pvE. Once you tame a good level plesi and saddle it there's really nothing that can kill it, not even high level mosas. My reasoning why plesi is equal to a mosa is that plesis are way easier to handle. They're smaller and have a WAY better turn radius then a mosa. They make all underwater exploring way easier and can fit in all the nooks and crannies while mosas can't.

When it comes to a solo list you'd have to figure in not only the power of a dino but how easy it is to obtain it at a certain level. To solo tame a high level quetz you'd have to use a low level one with a cage, have a huge kibble farm, make all the kibble etc etc. It's easier for a solo player to tame 5 20-30lvl argies, let them sit in th ebase for 2 weeks and then pump all the levels into weigth. You'll have a berret carry weight total then a quetz and it's way easier to get.

3 hours ago, Pclav said:

When it comes to a solo list you'd have to figure in not only the power of a dino but how easy it is to obtain it at a certain level. To solo tame a high level quetz you'd have to use a low level one with a cage, have a huge kibble farm, make all the kibble etc etc. It's easier for a solo player to tame 5 20-30lvl argies, let them sit in th ebase for 2 weeks and then pump all the levels into weigth. You'll have a berret carry weight total then a quetz and it's way easier to get.

I'm a solo player mostly on PvE and Argies are useless to me. Even the worst Quetz can be better than a good Argie.
A few weeks ago I started everything from the start again on a new server (2x xp, 2x gather, 3x tame).

After I got my pteradon, I tamed a low level Quetz by using grappling hook. Before that, I tamed ~2 argies, just because they were nearly level 120. Never really used them.
Around a week ago, I was lucky enough to find a level 120 Quetz. I had my lower level Quetz, with a Quetz taming plaform (or you can call it whatever you want ^^), which didn't really worked out, the Quetz fall onto the ground. I made some walls around it. After that, just needed to pump some narcos in it a few times. Nothing hard. I didn't have enough kibbles for the perf tame, so I just gathered prime meat, which is pretty easy thing to do. I fed him the kibble+prime, and bamm, the magic happened. Just like before.
After I got my first Quetz, I was on the lookout for Quetzes and killed the low level ones to spawn another possible higher level. Easy as it is.

Dimos pve : B tier, when bred can be killers. Breed some hlvl ones and unleash on rexes, caves, small alphas 

Drawback: they need to be bred to be effective against higher mobs (snow / swamp cave)

Pvp: same idea, can kill people if they're noob or not too bright.  Can be used for internal base defence, or some pve versatility 

I would rate them b in pvp aswell

To those who request tier changes, I'll be creating a correct form to use in the front post.

Constructive reasoning will be accepted, but simply stating "good for ___" and "not very useful" isn't reason enough to bring up a tier or go down a tier.

Also, we're not taking how early on you can obtain the creature into account. This is solely based on the creature's abilities in the PvE or PvP playing field.

Testing is over for the Bolas PvP drops.

Pteranodon has been dropped to B rank.

Castoroides remains B rank.

Direwolf remains A rank

Sabertooth remains B rank

Dilophosaur remains D rank

Raptor remains C rank

Terror Bird remains D rank

Procoptodon remains A rank

Pulmonoscorpius has been dropped to D rank

Only two creatures were affected, Pteranodons have now become less useful as Bolas are an extreme threat to them. Pulmonoscorpius isn't too useful and was only C rank for the torpor damage, but now that you can disable them easily, they're no longer too useful. The rest are either too fast to get caught in Bolas easily, or can break out faster than the rest.

Any issues/concerns with this test, please use the form that has been recently added to the front page. Any issues/concerns with rankings that don't use the forms will be ignored.

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, rororoxor said:

put the manta wayyy higher on the pvp list. I regularly kill plesiosaurs and even mosas with my manta. And im sure its jump is useful for attacking people in boats.

4 hours ago, rororoxor said:

And don't divide creatures by pve/pvp, divide them by working, fighting, and transportation creatures. Or something along those lines.

This was like forever ago and I've not updated it for nearly... 5 months?

I mean, if you want me to update it I surely could, with time, but I could do it. Just have to test things out again.

Im gonna try to place a couple of the Scorched earth animals.

Wyvern: B tier.  They are very strong very fast, but maneuverability and toughness are sizable weaknesses.  The different types of breath weapons are incredibly useful in different situations (example: Poison is best  against very high armor targets, fire is good vs fast dinos due to being able to consistently apply the flame DoT, lightning is best against low armor and large dinos due to the damage ticks of it's lightning beam.) They have good carry weights and can fill the role of  a quetzal on island and center servers as a resource farming engine due to being able to pick up most animals. 

Mantis-  S tier:   The mantis is the most  powerful animal in the game for gathering resources, due to it's leap, movement speed, attack speed, and the fact that it doesn't stop moving when it swings. It is an absolute must have for small tribes and solo players as it doesnt need to be carried on a quetzal or wyvern to gather bulk  resources in a short amount of time.  It also fills the combat role very well. With strong weapons and high melee, the mantis is capable of some truly terrifying damage output. They are quite  squishy, but none the less, their mobility and damage make them a combat mount not to be taken lightly.

Damage output example: Weapon- 200% weapon damage sword. Mantis Melee= 300%. 

200% weapon damage x 2 (Mantis dual wield bonus)= 400% Weapon damage. 

4 * 90= 360 base damage.

360*3= 1080 Damage per swing

4 hours ago, Igloo said:

Im gonna try to place a couple of the Scorched earth animals.

Wyvern: B tier.  They are very strong very fast, but maneuverability and toughness are sizable weaknesses.  The different types of breath weapons are incredibly useful in different situations (example: Poison is best  against very high armor targets, fire is good vs fast dinos due to being able to consistently apply the flame DoT, lightning is best against low armor and large dinos due to the damage ticks of it's lightning beam.) They have good carry weights and can fill the role of  a quetzal on island and center servers as a resource farming engine due to being able to pick up most animals. 

Mantis- A tier:  If there were an S tier the mantis would occupy it. The mantis is the most  powerful animal in the game for gathering resources, due to it's leap, movement speed, attack speed, and the fact that it doesn't stop moving when it swings. It is an absolute must have for small tribes and solo players as it doesnt need to be carried on a quetzal or wyvern to gather bulk  resources in a short amount of time.  It also fills the combat role very well. With strong weapons and high melee, the mantis is capable of some truly terrifying damage output. They are quite  squishy, but none the less, their mobility and damage make them a combat mount not to be taken lightly.

Damage output example: Weapon- 200% weapon damage sword. Mantis Melee= 300%. 

200% weapon damage x 2 (Mantis dual wield bonus)= 400% Weapon damage. 

4 * 90= 360 base damage.

360*3= 1080 Damage per swing

I feel as if the Wyverns would need to be placed separately, as each provide a differing role and honestly, Poison Wyvern is the best for PvP and Lightning is the best for PvE. The Fire Wyvern is probably the most underwhelming due to needing to get real close to it's target, while having a powerful DoT effect, due to the Wyvern's size and maneuverability, it will be taking some damage on the way out almost guaranteed.

Agreed 100% on the Mantis. It may be the most versatile mount in the entire game, just not providing you with what a Thorny Dragon/Castoroides/Flying Mount could.

I'll try to work on shifting these tiers and adding in the new stuff.

Spoiler alert: Titanosaur won't rank very high. While a massive tank and damage dealer, having it for a very limited time and not being able to collect anything or level up makes it well... almost a waste of materials. Only useful for wiping out an enemy base or two. In PvE, it's uses are pretty much... none? Maybe taking out an annoying alpha or nearby Giga? Other than that the resources needed for it's platform saddle and knocking it out aren't worth the reward at all.

Silly me, There is an S tier so I moved the Mantis to S tier. 

I would also like to point out that Wyverns suffer from another weakness, particularly to PvP. They are not worth it. The issue is that they are balanced, but also the most difficult to obtain animal in the entire game. They cant breed either so if your wyvern dies it's a really feelsbadman situation. Way more than it ever should be. For PvE the difficulty of obtaining one is acceptable, but for PvP,  they should be able to breed or you should be able to put milk in the fridge. PvPers dont have time to deal with difficult "balanced" tames when there are more powerful fliers that are WAY easier to get. People are going nuts over them right now because they are new, and because dragons, but it will fade, and wyverns will likely nearly disappear entirely from PvP servers in favor of the easier to obtain and more powerful pteras. I absolutely love the combat design of the wyverns, and,  I don't want to see wyverns disappear so i'm going to advocate for difficulty nerfs.

6 hours ago, Igloo said:

Silly me, There is an S tier so I moved the Mantis to S tier. 

I would also like to point out that Wyverns suffer from another weakness, particularly to PvP. They are not worth it. The issue is that they are balanced, but also the most difficult to obtain animal in the entire game. They cant breed either so if your wyvern dies it's a really feelsbadman situation. Way more than it ever should be. For PvE the difficulty of obtaining one is acceptable, but for PvP,  they should be able to breed or you should be able to put milk in the fridge. PvPers dont have time to deal with difficult "balanced" tames when there are more powerful fliers that are WAY easier to get. People are going nuts over them right now because they are new, and because dragons, but it will fade, and wyverns will likely nearly disappear entirely from PvP servers in favor of the easier to obtain and more powerful pteras. I absolutely love the combat design of the wyverns, and,  I don't want to see wyverns disappear so i'm going to advocate for difficulty nerfs.

Must've forgotten the S tier myself! Was probably thinking of another tier list I worked on where it didn't reach S tier ranks.

Agreed, and with the Tapejara coming to Scorched Earth their use in PvP is going to drop drastically. With Tapejara and Argentavis as easier alternatives, the Wyverns are really just going to be vanity creatures in PvP due to them being difficult to obtain. Even more so than Rock Elementals which are way more useful in the PvP setting.

1 hour ago, Reshkrom1153 said:

I would put the dodo up a tier or two in both categories.

PVE: Starts a long kibble chain, lays eggs frequently, easy to tame so new players won't starve to death.

PVP: 3 words: Suicide.Bombing.Dodo. Also kibble chain once again.

Kibble isn't taken into consideration, I stated so at the bottom. It just screws with the order and makes it that much more difficult to rank them.

Also, I updated the tier list. View it, criticize, and discuss!!!

I would definitely put the pteranodon in A tier at least. It's easy capture, high speed, ability to pick and drop players, and devastating barrel roll make it the most used dino in pvp. Also, I don't think the direwolf pack bonus has been added yet. Galli probably belongs down in C tier, it's role as a fast hit and run striker is severely limited by its atrocious health and carry weight.

2 minutes ago, GulliverFoyle said:

I would definitely put the pteranodon in A tier at least. It's easy capture, high speed, ability to pick and drop players, and devastating barrel roll make it the most used dino in pvp. Also, I don't think the direwolf pack bonus has been added yet. Galli probably belongs down in C tier, it's role as a fast hit and run striker is severely limited by its atrocious health and carry weight.

I would put Pteranodon in A tier, but it does what the Tapejara does, but not as well. Tapejara had the air maneuverability, wall landing, and three seater saddle advantage.

And like I said, if something performs too similarly to something else, but one is better than the other, they won't be in the same tier(Until, for some, we end up need to have A+, A, A-, etc...) unless they're basically the exact same.(Trike and Stego for example)

I could've swore that the pack bonus for Direwolves was added in, might be thinking of something else, but if that's the case it may need to swap tiers with the Saber.

As for the Galli, I see your point. May need to gather other opinions, but I can put it on a testing rack for now.

3 minutes ago, Reshkrom1153 said:

You're thinking of the allosaurus pack buff. Direwolves don't have any alpha/pack leader buff.

I think I was actually thinking about the mate boost they commonly have in the wild, but yeah they don't.

Fixed it. Until they get some sort of boost, Sabers will be better due to the saddle bonus.

Archived