Dinos won’t lay eggs

AirplaneSlider

Dinos won’t lay eggs

I have a small kibble farm set up. It has about 4 turtles, 5 pteranodons, 4 iguanodons, 5 dilos, and 3 dodos. I get lots of eggs from the dodos, but I used to get a lot of eggs from the others too except the turtles. Now I barely get any eggs from any of them. What can I do to fix this? Thanks 

I don't know how much you know about the mechanic so I'm going to go into some details you may or may not know.

The first thing to understand is how the egg laying works. Each dino has an internal egg laying interval. What this means is that once that timer has reached the end of it's cycle the dino will have a chance to lay an egg (I haven't dug in deep enough to know exact timers). To increase the chances of a dino laying an egg there are 2 things that you can do. First, you should have them mate boosted by having a male of the same species in the same area (you will see a heart icon when you look at them to make sure they are within range). Second, you can have a tamed oviraptor nearby to further increase chances (a flashing egg icon will appear when within range). The oviraptor must be set to wandering for the boost to work and it's best to weigh the oviraptor down with stone (or other materials) so that it doesn't actually wander around your base. Combine both mate boosting and oviraptor for best results. (Dodos are completeley different as instead of a timer the just have a chance to lay an egg every time they poop).

There are 2 other things to look at if you are not getting egg production. First is the egg laying interval in the server settings (if you host your own server or play single player). It can bea little confusing when adjusting this setting and I have seen people go the wrong way. The default setting should be 1 and if you want eggs to be produced faster you will want to lower that setting as that will reduce the timer (for example a dino has a chance to lay an egg every 5 minutes at default setting, adjusting to 0.5 will change that to every 2.5 minutes while adjusting to 2 would change it to every 10 minutes). The 2nd thing to notice is time spent with the dinos in render distance. If a tamed dino is not in render distance it will not lay eggs, so when you are away from base and come back nothing will be there. When I'm in need of eggs I will usually just go afk while around those dinos and check back every so often to pick up eggs, if I'm not just doing stuff around the base.

1 hour ago, OMCWILDCAT said:

I don't know how much you know about the mechanic so I'm going to go into some details you may or may not know.

The first thing to understand is how the egg laying works. Each dino has an internal egg laying interval. What this means is that once that timer has reached the end of it's cycle the dino will have a chance to lay an egg (I haven't dug in deep enough to know exact timers). To increase the chances of a dino laying an egg there are 2 things that you can do. First, you should have them mate boosted by having a male of the same species in the same area (you will see a heart icon when you look at them to make sure they are within range). Second, you can have a tamed oviraptor nearby to further increase chances (a flashing egg icon will appear when within range). The oviraptor must be set to wandering for the boost to work and it's best to weigh the oviraptor down with stone (or other materials) so that it doesn't actually wander around your base. Combine both mate boosting and oviraptor for best results. (Dodos are completeley different as instead of a timer the just have a chance to lay an egg every time they poop).

There are 2 other things to look at if you are not getting egg production. First is the egg laying interval in the server settings (if you host your own server or play single player). It can bea little confusing when adjusting this setting and I have seen people go the wrong way. The default setting should be 1 and if you want eggs to be produced faster you will want to lower that setting as that will reduce the timer (for example a dino has a chance to lay an egg every 5 minutes at default setting, adjusting to 0.5 will change that to every 2.5 minutes while adjusting to 2 would change it to every 10 minutes). The 2nd thing to notice is time spent with the dinos in render distance. If a tamed dino is not in render distance it will not lay eggs, so when you are away from base and come back nothing will be there. When I'm in need of eggs I will usually just go afk while around those dinos and check back every so often to pick up eggs, if I'm not just doing stuff around the base.

Thank you for your advice. I currently do have all my dinos mate boosted and have an oviraptor boosting them too. I’ll try going afk too and see how that goes. Earlier I did just mate all the dinos to get a bulk supply of eggs. 

Archived