Having a real bad time :(

itsmeJosh

Hi guys, looking for a bit of encouragement to keep trying the game. Have only purchased the game today,  tried playing it several times and failed!

I joined up a load of official servers where I start by spawning on players bases, bugging through them and not being able to find anywhere to begin. With this I cannot concentrate because the servers seem to lag and I am rubber banding everywhere even though I am choosing low latency servers. Not sure whats going on there. Checked my internet and it appears ok my end.

I did not want to go to unofficial servers as I really want to play vanilla. Desperate to play I tried some un official ones though the ones which are low enough latency have mods on which wont let me join and some crash/time out.

I really want to be able to sink a load of hours in to the game but can't find an official server I can call home and spend time on.

I'm a new player and having a really bad experience :(

Am I being silly and just unlucky?

Can anyone suggest an EU/UK server I can call home?

Sadly enough, the game isn't actually hospitable to new players at this time. The majority of the time, you will be experiencing horrendous levels of lag and rubberbanding, along with heavily glitched, botched random spawns that will land you in other peoples' bases with no possible method of escape aside from an ignored support ticket or a new character transfer.

Its just the nature of official servers. A lot of people I know just say "yeaaah, no," and move along to another game after getting a refund, but you may yet find that special server if you are dead-set on playing.

Vigilance is key. Always knock upon bridge first before crossing.

Being fresh to the game i heavily recommend learning how to play on single player before testing the waters online. The official servers arent the nicest place to try and learn and asking for help in global chat generally doesn't end well. Unofficial servers are a much better option for place to play in general with lower lag and less toxic player base but can still lack in the community department which some players tend to want.

Whatever way you go keep at it you will get  there.

I had the same issues when I was new, so I ended up player singleplayer for a while. I eventually found an unmodded unofficial server that I liked. You just gotta search until something good comes up.

For some reason new forum members can't receive DMs but if you've got discord I can send you a link to that server if you're interested.

3 hours ago, Rintrahhh said:

I would say to play singleplayer for a while to learn the basics and then try online.

I hit the ground running on PvP the first day I downloaded this game back then.  We knew absolutely nothing. I've gotta say....

....I wouldn't recommend it. It really gives you the feel for how people can truly be when allowed to be themselves in another reality. All nice and terrible. Juuust terrible.

Regretful-yet-fun oddly enough. Diplomacy reigns supreme. 

I had a similar problem. I'm a few hundred hours into the game now but I am definitely behind. People on my server have huge full Tek bases (PVE) with lots of different dinos.

Being that a lot of these servers have been around for years/months without being wiped a lot of the really easy to spot places on the map have already been taken. It doesn't help that people drop pillars around to stop people building too close to them as well. It took me probably 2 - 3 hours of searching to find the place where I ended up building my base. Like all true survival, start small. My base is tall, not large with a small pen for my dino's next to it and a box that I've called my aviary for my fliers haha.

Once you have that starting ground where you can first get your stuff SAFE so that you can come back and rebuild as necessary then you can get your first fast mount (para) and then branch out to find your forever home.

Honestly, a good way to see is to learn the map first. I did that one single player as well as looking at resource maps on various wikis to try and find suitable homes. Keep at it, the first few hours until you get first thatch 2x2 sucks massively. But this is a long-term game and persistence is key, once you hit that first major milestones you'll be hooked and then COVID-19 won't seem so bad.

Hi all

Big thanks for the replies, it has definitely convinced me to try again tonight. I'd prefer to get in to a PVE server however lots of you recommend single player first to learn the ropes so to make sure I enjoy the game I think i best start on single player. I always want that multiplayer online feeling which is why I wanted to jump straight in to a PVE server.

@ArkRage I am playing on PC.

@Thymemy discord is itsmeJosh#1336 please kindly add me.

To be honestt, the way the devs are treating us now, there isn't much fun in the game.
I am sure they work hard, but i feel they let the community a bit down atm with the poopty servers they have.

Seems like they are happy that they got our money and then just let us play in a sinkhole of server. Ready to melt every sec.
Never in my almost 10k hours i felt like i am feeling now about playing the game... i just want to play official on a better quality server... 

In regard to pillars, that is Ark official PVE for you. Always will be that way. 

As far as one server after another becoming unplayable due to rollbacks and now once again even with cryopods - dinocaps, yeah blame that on WC. I know community mods will defend WC tooth and nail but the reality is they will never learn how to run a game properly. 

Did they know this influx of players was about to hit them? I mean for a bit, yes. They also have control over new servers for those new players too among many other things but you talk to their fanboys and welp its totally out of their control! Literally nothing they can do about it! If you dont like it, dont play official! And that mentality is why part of the community is the way it is too. 

There are some unofficial servers that've been around for years.. just gotta do your homework. A lot of my oldest Ark friends that've played for 5 years now have all gone to unofficial, they will NEVER touch official. I prefer official due to trade and volume of servers plus I hate the idea of some 14 yr old on a powertrip destroying everything I've worked months on because his friend said he doesnt like you. 

Anyways Ark is very much a love hate situation. I think once you accept all of the endless BS this company spews out, its a one of a kind game unlike anything out there. 

If you want that sense of online community I would suggest to look around on server recruitment threads on forums like this and reddit. Most of them post their server settings so you can find one better suited to your wants and often will have ways to contact the server admins to get a feel for what the community is like. I know you said you want to get the feel of vanilla settings but IMHO there's not much difference between a vanilla server and a slightly boosted server. You will still need to learn how to do things and can still hve a lot of fun on 2x-3x servers. Boosted stats (player and dino) and boosted loot drops are what really kill the enjoyment. Happy hunting

17 hours ago, Masurao said:

Sadly enough, the game isn't actually hospitable to new players at this time...

Utter nonsense!

16 hours ago, Rintrahhh said:

I would say to play singleplayer for a while to learn the basics and then try online.

Yes, I agree, this is probably the best way to learn to play the game, unless you have friends online who will help you.

20 hours ago, itsmeJosh said:

Having a real bad time :(Hi guys, looking for a bit of encouragement to keep trying the game. Have only purchased the game today,  tried playing it several times and failed! I joined up a load of official servers where I start by spawning on players bases, bugging through them and not being able to find anywhere to begin. With this I cannot concentrate because the servers seem to lag and I am rubber banding everywhere even though I am choosing low latency servers. Not sure whats going on there. Checked my internet and it appears ok my end. I did not want to go to unofficial servers as I really want to play vanilla. Desperate to play I tried some un official ones though the ones which are low enough latency have mods on which wont let me join and some crash/time out. I really want to be able to sink a load of hours in to the game but can't find an official server I can call home and spend time on. I'm a new player and having a really bad experience :( Am I being silly and just unlucky? Can anyone suggest an EU/UK server I can call home?

Hate to say it bro, but I was in the exact same boat as you. Official servers was just crap...sorry bud, best advice I got is to go offline. 

Its a damn shame its that way. I love the gameplay, love the idea of getting going and lvling up, taming new dinos, and getting new engrams to build with. But hate the overcrowding. 70 people a server...needs to be 30. And maybe different servers per ascension. 

Just now, Myrm said:

Or play on a/host your own non-official server. 

Only got one xbox, and yeah. There is a small group of us trying to get something going.....hate the fact you got to dedicate a entire unit to host another unit. We all own one unit that can play each, and since everyone is B.A.F. we can't afford a second unit. :P
Wish there was a method that would tie all the units together for processing power to host WHILE we was also playing it without tethering

On 4/4/2020 at 3:58 PM, itsmeJosh said:

Hi guys, looking for a bit of encouragement to keep trying the game. Have only purchased the game today,  tried playing it several times and failed!

I joined up a load of official servers where I start by spawning on players bases, bugging through them and not being able to find anywhere to begin. With this I cannot concentrate because the servers seem to lag and I am rubber banding everywhere even though I am choosing low latency servers. Not sure whats going on there. Checked my internet and it appears ok my end.

I did not want to go to unofficial servers as I really want to play vanilla. Desperate to play I tried some un official ones though the ones which are low enough latency have mods on which wont let me join and some crash/time out.

I really want to be able to sink a load of hours in to the game but can't find an official server I can call home and spend time on.

I'm a new player and having a really bad experience :(

Am I being silly and just unlucky?

Can anyone suggest an EU/UK server I can call home?

I would look for an unofficial cluster to join. Check the rates etc... that fits your play style. Official is so laggy not worth the time to invest in for new players. You will have a much better gaming experience if you give unofficials a try!!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived