How long for a magmasaur forge to starve itself

sjskdjkfa

I read that they basically are a useless forge because their food goes down to fast, and they smelt to slowly. What I haven't read is whether or not leaving the stone in their inventory mitigates the first problem, ergo the second problem via loading them up and forgetting about them for a day. In other words can you take them out and swipe a few metal nodes and enable smelting and take off on them and come back to ingots, or will you come back to a starved to death magmasaur??

Id say that if you turned the forge on and left it with a few stacks of stone in its inventory, you wouldnt come back to a dead magma but you would come back to only like 10 ingots lol. The food drain isnt incredibly fast as I thought it was going to be based on others reports and force feeding it like 50-100 stone would fill its food bar very quickly, but the speed at which it cooks metal is outrageously slow imo.

I have been trying to be careful because I had 4 magmas but 3 of them were recently lost. The one remaining one I took out and swiped some nodes right before posting this. Here is some notes I've been taking on my experiment:

magmasaur has smelted 90ingots , its 7:40am im leaving render with 3 full rows of ore in inv, 1row plus 253 stone
-time now 8:05, 186 now in first stack, 97ingot, no stone missing yet
8:47 one stone down, 105 ing smelted
slow af but now i got a hundred ingot i didn't have before, food bar is still full 

A new question arises. I don't think I was with it for that long for it to smelt the 90 initial ingot. Does leaving it alone reduce the smelting rate? Ima afk right next to it this time.

37 minutes ago, Markdh31788 said:

It’s not really worth it to smelt metal only time I use forge mode is when I’m loaded with prime from killing magmas one thing to be careful with about it though while in forge mode 1 searing spit will deplete all your food regardless of how much it has 

Worth is relative. For example if I overburden it taking it away from my indi forge, it might be "worth it" to me to just enable smelting and leave it where its at. But only if it doesn't kill it. Now that I'm testing it, it doesn't seem to be killing it. Either they've changed something, or everyone has been exaggerating about the food depletion? So far it's eaten 2 stone this morning. And I've got more than a full stack of ingots. If I were ingot starved yea I'd need it to smelt a little faster, and yea this is pretty poop. But it's not useless.

saw this on the wiki.

There seems to be a sporadic bug where the Magmasaur will eat 10x what it should when in Smelting mode. It will empty it's food bar completely when doing so even with an inventory full of meat.

• A fix may be feeding the Magmasaur until it is 100% full which resets the rate at which it is consuming its food bar.

On 4/3/2020 at 3:51 PM, Piffguru said:

saw this on the wiki.

There seems to be a sporadic bug where the Magmasaur will eat 10x what it should when in Smelting mode. It will empty it's food bar completely when doing so even with an inventory full of meat.

• A fix may be feeding the Magmasaur until it is 100% full which resets the rate at which it is consuming its food bar.

Seems for a feature dino of this DLC, they really dropped the ball.    Bugs right away... like did they even bother to test anything or just shove it out the door unfinished?

This is one of the three dinos that should of been in a solid state before release. Come on..... No excuses in my opinion.

There is one "little" additional bug that no one is talking about. The magmasaur will eat anything in his inventory. If you have berries and meat his food will constantly drain until zero even in the volcano (it does not have stone as priority as food - no matter the order you put things in his inventory, he always left stone for last). This means you need to clear his inventory every time you harvest a corpse (remove meat and berries every single time).

And about "temperature" i only saw it influencing the "charge" mechanic - that is instant during an eruption. Even in the volcano, swimming in lava, the food was going down fast smelting (so, if this feature is real, was poorly implemented like all the rest). Without enough stone, it surely will starve anywhere, no matter the temperature.

On 4/3/2020 at 1:17 PM, sjskdjkfa said:

Worth is relative. (...) If I were ingot starved yea I'd need it to smelt a little faster, and yea this is pretty poop. But it's not useless.

No they are not, same for every dino in the game. BUT Magmasaurs are supposed to be the Rock Drakes/Wyverns of Genesis. And they chose to made a crippled catapult for PvP instead of a cool dino. All this crap design is made to be bad just because he have a single utility for PvP that probably will never be used... You saw that they put weight reduction for ingots and not stone? He is not supposed to be used to harvest, but as a "war machine". That's mildly infuriating in a PvE perspective (i was expecting the ultimate anky)... and kinda funny because they surely did their best to make him useless just because his balls can damage metal and tek...

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2020 at 3:31 PM, sjskdjkfa said:

I read that they basically are a useless forge because their food goes down to fast, and they smelt to slowly. What I haven't read is whether or not leaving the stone in their inventory mitigates the first problem, ergo the second problem via loading them up and forgetting about them for a day. In other words can you take them out and swipe a few metal nodes and enable smelting and take off on them and come back to ingots, or will you come back to a starved to death magmasaur??

I know ambergris is a great foodbar filler, has anyone tryed that whilst smelting?

for example when the magmasaur is getting hurt in fights ambergris is better than any meat or stone to use if you want it to heal fast!

Here are a few things to note about Magmasaur's smelting ability:

• They are great for on-the-go melting of ores to ingots or cooking meat, but if you want to replace them for any of the existing forge, don't bother. Their smelting are slower than those two, and are only better for smelting in the event you can't craft a forge nearby, or just want quick ingots for their searing spit ability in case you ran out of it in their inventory.
    • Funny thing is that phoenix can still smelt/cook without food worry.
  • These drains food more rapidly than when they are not smelting, and don't get me started by the fact that doing anything that drains stamina eats up food by a lot, including searing spitting with it it (had a magma drain to 0 food when doing that mistake fast). If you are cooking meat, it will autonomously eat the raw meat after berries, so best to force feed them stone when possible. Ambergris has to be force fed, since they won't eat it autonomously as adults.

My word of advice? Only use their smelting when you are on the go with no extra ingots nearby for travelling to spit at others. Just use them as metal pack harvester and mule for industrial forge.

Archived