Stats issue based on core stats?

Xenithar

Got a strange issue. We have a line of rexes which dates back to 2015. They have over 800 mutations. Melee and health are not both at 255 out of the egg. Here's the issue though. When the stats were 253, we could add 73 levels to either one. Now that they are 255, we cannot add a single level. This appears to be a bug, but I want input before I file a report. Being that I can do 253 plus 73 to get a total of 326 levels in a stat, it seems to be broken since I cannot do 255 plus 73 to get 328.

This cripples well bred dinos. It means that a hatchling at 253 melee can get well above 3,000% damage but a hatchling at 255 melee is stcuk at like, 1948% melee. Something is fishy here...

34 minutes ago, GerBear said:

Wait 1948% is the max for melee?

No , 255 points is 1625.2% , + 20% imprinting bonus and he's hitting 1948.6% ... and he can't add any points into the stat, so those are frozen there.

Now if he had bred using an even #, it could have reached 254 w/out any problems.

the max points in any stat is limited by 2^8, or 256.  0-255 is the number sequence of that 256.  Basically , he's reached the upper limit and WC can say one of 2 things:  It's a bug, or it's a feature.

If it's a bug, good luck waiting on that to get fixed.

If it's a feature, then the big takeaway would be that the best stats to mutate would be even #s, since 254 shouldn't have the same problems.

The information put out on the #s is far from a mathematical proof, but if I were to read the rules, I don't see a statement making it clear.  IF they said, up to and including the upper limit, then I'd assume 255 is fair game.  BUt they *(just read up the page) do say stop at 254.

1. Stop if your creature reaches level 361 – The Official Server creature level cap is level 450 (included), 449 - 88 = 361. Any creature that reaches level 450 (included) will be deleted by the game (official servers). Every species is different and may benefit from fewer domestic levels in certain stats. Some math will be required to figure out the optimal distribution of stat levels for your species.
  2. Stop if you reach 254 levels in specific stat – Ark will prevent a stat from being leveled if the wild level count for that stat is 255 but not if it is lower and not if the stat's wild levels plus the stat's domestic levels meet or exceed 255.[4]

*taken from https://ark.gamepedia.com/Mutations

It would seem they have updated this, creatures used to be fine existing at lvl 450.  BUt i would suggest people test this.  I'm told right now , only x-dinos are working w/ the 88 lvl added limit.  All other older existing creatures were not getting 88 lvls from what I was told 2 days ago.

Grumpybear, I do have a bloodline that stopped at 253 or 254. The damage went up to 4,335.3% on that bloodline. Haven't had the luck of one that stopped on 254 yet. However I do quite understand the issue. The issue is that each stat only uses a single byte of memory (unsigned char or unsigned byte data type) and I understand the range well. The thing is, the two stats (core at 253 or 255 and the second being what the player puts into it) are separate. The ever-so-slightly weaker bloodline has 326 points in melee total. If you have some that hit 254 and you can throw on 73 more, then 255 should allow for that also.

Also, the level 450 warning is only for officials. I do not even know of a way to enforce that magical deletion stuff on an unofficial cluster like ours. I believe somebody once said that the level cap was put in-place on officials to prevent alpha tribes from being completely unstoppable. We have had dinos well beyond 450 for years. Also, perhaps I have missed it, but I believe dinos only gain 73 additional levels? Do they ascend now and get an extra 15?

On 4/1/2020 at 8:35 PM, Xenithar said:

Got a strange issue. We have a line of rexes which dates back to 2015. They have over 800 mutations. Melee and health are not both at 255 out of the egg. Here's the issue though. When the stats were 253, we could add 73 levels to either one. Now that they are 255, we cannot add a single level. This appears to be a bug, but I want input before I file a report. Being that I can do 253 plus 73 to get a total of 326 levels in a stat, it seems to be broken since I cannot do 255 plus 73 to get 328.

This cripples well bred dinos. It means that a hatchling at 253 melee can get well above 3,000% damage but a hatchling at 255 melee is stcuk at like, 1948% melee. Something is fishy here...

It's not a bug. It's a well known fact. 255 is a hard cap for stats. Once you have a stat at 255 it cannot be leveled.

It is something to do with the data type that stores that information. Stats from leveling are stored separately.

If breeding for mutations stop before 255, so either 253 or 254. 

OK, if the data type (unsigned char or byte) is the issue, why can it be levelled at 254 73 more times? That equals 327. You see there are two separate unsigned bytes here. One is the core and it isn't "capped" at 255, it simply does not hold enough bits to go beyond that. So on the left of your screen you have the core stat at 254. On the right side you have 73 levels and assume I put them all into melee. This combines into another variable elsewhere in the engine (likely a short or int) which gives us the 327. The point is, since the two are entirely separate, why prevent levelling at 255 as opposed to 254. Either way 254 plus 73 goes well beyond the capacity of an unsigned byte, but so does 255 plus 73. Clearly a short (-32768 to 32767) or some kind of integer is being used for the combined calculation, so preventing the use of your 73 levels on a maxed out stat is completely useless and is junk code.

In other words, somebody felt the need to prevent a user from levelling his or her dino if said user did a good enough job to mutate a stat to 255. 254? Oh, that is fine! But not 255. As such, I want to know what variable-type maxes out at 327 and cannot go to 328. I have been programming since 1986 and have yet to find this elusive variable-type.

I am not chewing anybody here out, but I am going to file a bug report and include a logical explanation as to why this is just plain stupid.

Archived