Disable Mutations During Breeding Events

Swordguy

Suggestion

Disable Mutations During Breeding Events

I suspect that for many of us playing Official PVE, a breeding event means we can get around to raising those Gigas we've had on ice for a while, or to raise a backup boss army of Rexes or Theris.

But, there are some players that abuse these events (many of them appear as [][][][] in chat) in order to mass breed thousands of dinos across multiple servers, contributing to the server instability and crashes. It's not just the 100's of dinos they have out, but the 100's of fertilized eggs incubating that count as dino population. 

There have been other suggestions to reduce tribe dino limit, or to reduce structure limit, but none of these ideas address the core problem as these mutation breeders simply spread their operation across more servers. Wildcard and snail games clearly don't care about enforcing region locks with official servers, so that's off the table as well.

By disabling mutations during breeding events, you would deter most of these breeders. That being said, they could simply save up the eggs during a breeding event, and then hatch them all after the event is over, but that's a small inconvenience for them in order to make the game playable for the rest of us. You could in fact add a Boolean property to fert eggs that is set to 0 if the egg is incubated or created during an event, which disables any chance of mutation. Once event is over, those eggs are still unable to get a mutation, while eggs created during 1x and that weren't incubated during an event still have a property of 1 and can get mutations. problem solved. 

As I've mentioned, a lot of us are raising dinos during these events out of convenience and to save time, and not because we're trying to get mutations. Why bother? the box tribes already have breeding operations set up that would leave us in the dust. Most of our dinos are already maxed out, but with new expansions always in the works there are more and more dinos to be mass bred for mutations, and more breeding events ruined by crashed servers and intolerable server instability caused by excessive breeding. This is as much a problem of bad game design because you wouldn't have these mass breeding operations taking place if it didn't require hundreds of eggs to get a mutation. But that's a discussion for a different thread I suppose.

4 replies to this server topic

I don't agree with this at all.

There's zero abuse. Such a stretch of the term. Reduced mating times is intended to get more eggs or else they wouldn't include it.

There have been more breeding events than normal and the pandemic is contributing to more players but if you want to play with the official community then just get use to it. 

Edit: Just for clarification, as I no longer breed heavy, I raised about 5 dino's over the last 2 events and my tribe of 11 people has a tame limit of netween 100 and 120 at any given time. So I'm not opposed for me or my tribe. I am opposed to the idea itself.

23 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

I don't agree with this at all.

There's zero abuse. Such a stretch of the term. Reduced mating times is intended to get more eggs or else they wouldn't include it.

There have been more breeding events than normal and the pandemic is contributing to more players but if you want to play with the official community then just get use to it. 

Edit: Just for clarification, as I no longer breed heavy, I raised about 5 dino's over the last 2 events and my tribe of 11 people has a tame limit of netween 100 and 120 at any given time. So I'm not opposed for me or my tribe. I am opposed to the idea itself.

we're all free to our opinions. I believe you're wrong, but you're free to believe what you want.

So you are suggesting that a "Breeding Event" which was specifically added to give the players and incentive to play.... should remove one of the reason's people to use said incentive? 

I am not saying I don't understand where you are coming from. I was on a server with a capped limit on dinos out before and I totally understand the lag and pain that having that many dinos out can cause... but really... Even then I too would say no way (and this was after cryo's). Did I want to breed my creatures and boss fighters because I finally had the time... Yes. But I understood that this event applied to all and it simply wasn't in the cards for me that time around. 

An wide spread - public event should not have limitations on an in-game concept (in this case breeding) so that the event can benefit a portion for the method in which they play they game over another. 

It is a "Breeding Event" open to everyone who plays official, not a "Raise-the-time-consuming-creatures Event" open to prioritize those who wanted a cut in raising for some of the larger, far more time consuming beasts, they normally may not have the time for. 

Besides, breaking up the events to have it set for "specialized" scenarios like you wish would probably do more harm than good. Because if you had a breeding event without mutations, it would only be fair to have one with mutations. And what if you need the first but had to work and could only participate during the second? Not to mention the eventual lag that would come with each. As players figured out how to work the scenarios the lag would return, but you would be up against those doing the same thing as you are.. and where would that leave you but right back where you are? Just imagine the number of large creatures that would be out and about on the maps... That lag would be something to fear.

Whereas leaving the events as is, you have a chance to get done what you need regardless of which weekend you work and do not, and everyone can continue using the events in ways that suit the way they play.

Not to mention all the coding just to set it up for "specialized" events.... omg. Lets not throw any more code at WC than they can handle right now. 

So while I understand what you are saying, I too will have to say no thank you. 

The code is not a bad idea, and could be used to create specialized events... but that may be a better setting for something in the unofficial world to play with where how you play is a be more flexible and sometimes more fitting per the individual that the standardized version of the game. 

But those are just my thoughts.

Archived