Can someone explain why WC keeps having insane boosted events?

Super Fab

Can someone explain why WC keeps having insane boosted events?

I've never seen Ark like this in all the years I've been playing. We get back to back 3x.. well 3.5x coming this weekend. 

I get logically speaking it keeps the player numbers up but what it's also doing is causing serious server issues. My rag server for example has crashed 8 times in the past 12 hours with rollbacks every time. People including myself have lost dinos that they may never get back and structures / blueprints they may never get back. For me, I lost a lot of items I had crafted on extinction along with dinos I had just bought in a trade. 

It might be a news flash for some but this game cannot handle inferior server stats coupled with 3.5x rates! Even 2x rates, even if we never touched 3x we'd still be in this mess. 2x before became whats not considered 1x. I hope they are not about to turn what we consider now, 2x into 1x and then 2x ontop of that. 

I'd just love to know what crack they're smoking. 

The only logical conclusion I can come up with is that if they were coming out with PVPVE servers that they knew most players would flock to but I doubt that's going to happen.. expect certain maps to just be unplayable for months. 

Edit: No duh they're doing this for COVID-19. Still make no sense to ruin servers in the process. 

Edit 2: I love how I keep seeing MORE and more post about servers going down.. but no, cant have anything to do with boosted rates!! ??

as far as I can tell, it's related to a large chunk of the world being in isolation due to covid19.

That being said, Official servers are basically "public" servers and depend on people behaving rationally. If you're building giant bases, unpodding hundreds of dinos and/or have hundreds of eggs incubating at once, you're probably a large contributor to servers crashing and/or being laggy and unstable. tell that to the box tribes though, as a lot of them are doing just that.

I'm personally a bit annoyed because I've lost one toon due to a crash and rollback, and another one of my toons is stuck on island 47 which has been down for over half a day, but on the other hand I'm glad whatever a-holes who are doing what I previously mentioned are at least suffering for their stupidity. Sadly, they're probably box tribes with 500 lvl 1 gigas unpodded (we've all seen them around various servers), and they will just keep crashing servers until WC actually does something limit this behavior on PVE. @cedric I'm looking at you man. This current situation isn't helping people on Official PVE, you're punishing us and causing a lot of negativity with your decisions.

• Volunteer Moderator
35 minutes ago, Super Fab said:

The only logical conclusion I can come up with is that if they were coming out with PVPVE servers that they knew most players would flock to but I doubt that's going to happen.

That's the only logical conclusion you can come up with?

I think the big global pandemic and national lockdowns forcing residents to stay in doors and the boosted rates being an incentive is a pretty big logical conclusion. Also the only logical conclusion why they are suddenly doing this now when they haven't ever before.

Yes i think it's related to COVID, they increased rates since most EU people is isolated
My main server (The Center, not the most played map) crashed 2 times in 1 day and was offline for many hours, lot of rollback even though the played count never exceeded 15 people connected at the same time
Others servers with higher player count on the same map  run a lot better, i don't know why some servers are more unstable than others, maybe huge dino storage bases from foreign tribes...

• Volunteer Moderator

Internet speeds are dropping and there are more connection problems worldwide due to COVID19 with most of the world locked in their homes.

Speeds in New York alone are down by more than 25%.

It's so bad that Netflix and YouTube have reduced their streaming quality by default to take some of the strain off the internet.

1 hour ago, Olympus82 said:

Yes i think it's related to COVID, they increased rates since most EU people is isolated
My main server (The Center, not the most played map) crashed 2 times in 1 day and was offline for many hours, lot of rollback even though the played count never exceeded 15 people connected at the same time
Others servers with higher player count on the same map  run a lot better, i don't know why some servers are more unstable than others, maybe huge dino storage bases from foreign tribes...

I think there should be a building limit that goes in line with how many people are in your tribe or something. You don't NEED three 100x100 foundation, 40 wall tall buildings with a thousand gates around you. This isn't minecraft! D:< 

I would be fully for a stricter dino and building limit. Official servers can't handle gigantic buildings and massive amounts of dinos and they don't need to anymore since they introduced cryopods. 

But people are very selfish and will want their 500 dinos on display and their over structure limit build base. Such things do not belong on official anymore IMO, they can be on privat or singleplayer. When the mass is suffering because of some few individuals, it's time for a change. I remember that one guy crying here some time ago that the GM's wiped half his base that caused server crashes because he abused the structure limit, such bases are on some servers and need to be taken care of.

Also a heavier limitation to the dino limit and structure limit would be very welcoming to me. If you need/want such big things, please build them on private servers or in Singleplayer, you are hurting everyone with what you are doing, it's not your fault but Wildcard not being able to handle the issue but there is nothing else to be done until they maybe change something in the future...

5 hours ago, GP said:

That's the only logical conclusion you can come up with?

I think the big global pandemic and national lockdowns forcing residents to stay in doors and the boosted rates being an incentive is a pretty big logical conclusion. Also the only logical conclusion why they are suddenly doing this now when they haven't ever before.

LOL right so boost rates when people have nothing else to do, have more time than ever to play. Boost rates so much that its rapidly causing more and more servers to crash and rollback. So no, the fact that people can play more than ever does not conclude that its actually more logical to have 3.5x rates that're ruining the servers compared to regular 2x on weekends, 1x during the week. 

Perhaps you dont play on official so you might not be able to wrap your mind around servers that were perfectly find just a couple of weeks ago having crashes and rollbacks 8+ times in a single day. 

• Volunteer Moderator
50 minutes ago, Super Fab said:

LOL right so boost rates when people have nothing else to do, have more time than ever to play. Boost rates so much that its rapidly causing more and more servers to crash and rollback. So no, the fact that people can play more than ever does not conclude that its actually more logical to have 3.5x rates that're ruining the servers compared to regular 2x on weekends, 1x during the week. 

Perhaps you dont play on official so you might not be able to wrap your mind around servers that were perfectly find just a couple of weeks ago having crashes and rollbacks 8+ times in a single day. 

I don't play officials no, so I never comment on server performance, however, I am stating that these higher rates are due to the global pandemic and lockdowns currently happening around the world. I don't need to play official servers to know that. They also had other higher rates recently for smashing their CCU on Steam to more than 150k as a thank you to players.

Now, your topic title asked "Can someone explain why WC keeps having insane boosted events?" which my explanation gives you the answer you asked for.

Also, I see every single week people begging for 2x this, 3x that... every single week. Every single regular EVO I see people asking for breeding event this, breeding event that. Now they are players that play on official servers, yet every single week they are there asking for higher rates.

2 hours ago, GP said:

I don't play officials no, so I never comment on server performance, however, I am stating that these higher rates are due to the global pandemic and lockdowns currently happening around the world. I don't need to play official servers to know that. They also had other higher rates recently for smashing their CCU on Steam to more than 150k as a thank you to players.

Now, your topic title asked "Can someone explain why WC keeps having insane boosted events?" which my explanation gives you the answer you asked for.

Also, I see every single week people begging for 2x this, 3x that... every single week. Every single regular EVO I see people asking for breeding event this, breeding event that. Now they are players that play on official servers, yet every single week they are there asking for higher rates.

There are also endless people asking for official servers to be wiped yet they don't. I assume as a volunteer to these forums you arent in contact with the GM's that restore peoples characters which is why you dont understand how bad this is hurting players on Official PVE. I gurantee you there is a massive uptick in tickets. A guy right before writing this lost his 130 character due to a rollback and he was not the first one to lose his character. 

If you look at the schedule for getting a character restored its well over a month just to get someone out. I lost my character a month ago, it will still take another month just to have a GM come out. I hear openings are pushed back even further now.

How about this, you go on Ragnarok 408 for a day then report back an honest opinion. Would you be willing to do that? 

The higher rates just increase issues that were already there. I remember how greatly our ragnarok server ran before april 2019. Two weeks before the event in April and all the massive issue with the rollbacks it started lagging and only got worse. I don't know what the reason for that was since there was nothing big before the event. 

The servers don't only lag on event times, it just get's worse and that's why I would implement methods to keep the servers somewhat healthy. 

Reduced structure limits, reduced dino limits could probably already help with many issues. An upkeep system for bases like in Rust could also be of help. There needs to be restrictions to unburden the servers since the servers are very likely not going to improve....

yes the eggs and babys are the reason for the insane lag, we saw that today because the breeding was about to end, everyone on the server cryod their babys and no fert eggs were incubating anymore and we got no dc's and we got fluent gameplay with a ping at 100-150, and that happened 3 or 4 hours before the event has ended.

the days before we just had insane lags like good old lagnarok with 255 ping

the next easter event is a rip for many servers...

and please do something about boxtribes on EU servers WC

even more annoying they decided to boost more than just harvesting to 3.5x this evening, causing us to lose a bunch of very expensive eggs. I mean, I appreciate 3.5x incubation but ffs give some warning before hand. We were under the impression that Official was 1x rates and 3.5x harvesting until the evo event kicked in on Friday. This game had better communication from Wildcard back in early access, it would be funny if it weren't so sad.

11 hours ago, Super Fab said:

it keeps the player numbers up...
it's also doing is causing serious server issues......
My rag server for example has crashed 8 times in the past 12 hours with rollbacks every time.
People including myself have lost dinos......
this game cannot handle inferior server stats coupled with 3.5x rates! Even 2x rates 
The only logical conclusion I can come up with

So. Lets have a look at all of your logical 'conclusions' or 'claims' one by one.....

1.it keeps the player numbers up...
What proof / publicly available data do you have to backup this claim?

2. it's also doing is causing serious server issues......
Unfounded claim linking server issues with 3x.

3. My rag server for example has crashed 8 times in the past 12 hours with rollbacks every time.
Unfounded claim linking server issues with 3x.

4. People including myself have lost dinos......
Unfounded claim linking dino issues with 3x.

5. this game cannot handle inferior server stats coupled with 3.5x rates! Even 2x rates
Not only is this completely incorrect, its far from the truth, there are many pvp servers running 50x or even 100x with no issues.

6. I'd just love to know what crack they're smoking.
Unfounded allegations of drug use by wild card staff.

7. The only logical conclusion I can come up with
The only thing logical here is that none of your claims are logical, none of them have any evidence or anything to backup the claims.

I get how annoying this all can be but you can't keep adding limitations onto this game. That will take the fun out of it.

I do think tame limit can come down. PS4 Legacy shortly before official release, we had 250 and it was plenty. With cryopods and the removal of cryo timer, this could definitely be implemented. It would not inhibit gameplay while drastically improving performance.

Structure limit I can't get on board with. Yes, I hate big and laggy boxes but I think having multiple bases across the map for different purposes is just natural.

I also don't think, tribe size should factor. I am a more relaxed player now and am part of a 11 man relaxed tribe. I got a lot more done when I was solo and a more hardcore player. I needed that extra room as I was breeding the top weight stat Argy on the market for PvE PS4 at the time. Now, I don't need that specialized breeding building nor does my tribe. 

So yes to decreased tame limit, no to tighter structure limits.

On 3/30/2020 at 10:57 PM, yekrucifixion187 said:

I get how annoying this all can be but you can't keep adding limitations onto this game. That will take the fun out of it.

I do think tame limit can come down. PS4 Legacy shortly before official release, we had 250 and it was plenty. With cryopods and the removal of cryo timer, this could definitely be implemented. It would not inhibit gameplay while drastically improving performance.

Structure limit I can't get on board with. Yes, I hate big and laggy boxes but I think having multiple bases across the map for different purposes is just natural.

I also don't think, tribe size should factor. I am a more relaxed player now and am part of a 11 man relaxed tribe. I got a lot more done when I was solo and a more hardcore player. I needed that extra room as I was breeding the top weight stat Argy on the market for PvE PS4 at the time. Now, I don't need that specialized breeding building nor does my tribe. 

So yes to decreased tame limit, no to tighter structure limits.

Well they are trying to address structures.. it's structures, not dinos for most maps that's causing the issues. Like on mine over 70% of all bases are either 100% empty or there is a single flyer in the base for timers. What they've done so far:

• Increased slots in most structures including forges, fridges, vaults over time
  • Created large walls which renders what'd be 4x walls to 1x thus rendering it in much faster 

I think they need to keep pushing with structures, its a great idea but I think matching a large wall to 4x smaller walls exactly is a mistake. If it was 10% cheaper, I think more people would bite. Nobody I know uses them. I'm only using them for the first time on  3x ocean platform.. I don't want to be part of the problem but I also am not wanting to pause while my base renders in. 

One guy on my server used tek gates for the walls of his base (not sure I'd use tek gates.. but still) and regular ceilings. His base is MASSIVE yet it renders in just fine. Why? Because the gates are single objects verse many objects so even though they are large, the game doesn't see them that way thus a base 4x larger than a regular comparable base will load in faster, not slower if designed properly. 

Anyways glad to see not everyone is blinded fanboys of WC where they can do no wrong while theres reports every single day (right now even) of peoples official servers going down for 6+ hrs. But totally nothing to do with 3x! lol 

1 hour ago, Super Fab said:
  • Created large walls which renders what'd be 4x walls to 1x thus rendering it in much faster 

Just trying to clear up a misconception: Rendering probably doesn't have anything to do with it. When it's the same object being rendered many times you can use a technique called instancing which makes it super cheap. I'd be very surprised if that wasn't used. However, they still need to do collision checks on each part individually (as they, of course, are in different places) and that's where the performance hit most likely stems from.

You yourself is providing anecdotal support for this in that the guy on your server doesn't have much lag in his base due to fewer, bigger structures.

Personally, I uses the 4x walls (and S+ 12x walls) a lot and found it made an insane difference in FPS so I think they're definitely worth it even at the same price as a corresponding amount of normal walls. I think the resource cost makes sense.

I'd love to see like 2x2 foundations - I think that would help as well :) 

Archived