Best hardware to run dedicated server

ltstickers

For better networking, you'll want 2 cores for each map. Also yes, clock speeds make a huge difference.

I've got a Dell R710 with two X5680's @3.33GHz, 64GB RAM, and 4 SSD's in RAID-0. (Two for Windows, two for servers) Having no issues with 4 Ark servers in a cluster, 2 Conan servers, 1 Empyrion server, and my media server on it. Cost of the server with the drives was close to $600.

CPU clock speed, as much RAM as you can chuck at it and disk I/O performance. Number of cores is less important if you're only going to run two or three servers as Ark only uses one full core (two threads) anyway for each server.

Spec wise for mine, I currently run an HP Z820 workstation with dual Xeon E5-2643 (3.3Ghz per core) CPUs (8 cores/16 threads total), 64GB RAM and run the Ark servers on a RAID 6 array of Western Digital Black drives. I run eight Ark servers currently (not busy ones) completely lag free.

Forgive the crappy phone pic:

20200128_170257.jpg

6 hours ago, NAHAK47 said:

Hello! I currently have a server with 3 cluster maps limited to 40 players (ping from 80 to 100 server full)

I want to improve the ping, change the cpu to a more current one, I was thinking about the ryzen 5 3600x, what do you think?

Now i have a fx 8350 32gb ram ssd

Though the R5 3600X will be a definite improvement over the 8350, it is very lacking on single-core performance. Which is something you care about a lot for hosting an Ark server.

2 hours ago, NAHAK47 said:

What other cpu do you recommend?
Is the i7 7700k better than the r5 3600x?
o i5 8600k ?

o r7 2700x ?

The i7-7700k at a glance is slightly lower performance when it comes to gaming than the R5 3600X. However, it makes up for that greatly in single-core performance, and this is largely due to a higher base clock and the Intel Speedstep technology.
The i5-8600k is not going to be a significant difference from the 7700k in single-core speeds, so the choice would really boil down to overall cost.

If you wanted to stay on the side of AMD with the R7 2700X, I really couldn't advise it compared to the previous three we've covered. You'll be about 10% below the performance of R5 3600X, and almost 25% below the Intel chips.

And quite honestly, for the money you'd spend on a CPU, motherboard, and RAM... You could grab an entire server. Something like this would work nicely and could run 12 Ark servers without an issue.

This site is good for comparing processors...
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-X5690-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/m16752vs3958

Sylen has a good point regarding AMD.  Their chips generally have slower per-Core speed. 
I almost went for AMD because of the high-Core count (meaning I could run more maps and dedicate a CPU-Core per map).  However, AMD needs a higher-wattage PSU meaning AMD's daily running costs would be higher than Intel's.

IanHighlander (above) has long-term experience of running Ark servers.  He's spot on too.

1 hour ago, NAHAK47 said:

Sorry, I do not understand much, so the xeon are good for ark?
E5 2690 dual xeon from aliexpress will go well?

link -> Kllisre X79 Dual CPU

sorry I'm from Argentina I use the translator

E5 2690 will be ok. 
32GB RAM  is enough for 4 maps.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-E5-2643-0-vs-Intel-Xeon-E5-2690-v2/m3389vsm13436

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-8600-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/m477251vs3958

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-3600-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700K/4040vs3647

1 hour ago, NAHAK47 said:

Sorry, I do not understand much, so the xeon are good for ark?
E5 2690 dual xeon from aliexpress will go well?

link -> Kllisre X79 Dual CPU

sorry I'm from Argentina I use the translator

Yes, that would be similar to the CPU in the server I recommended from Ebay.

Considering costs. I have two of those Dell R710's I listed above. (with slightly different specs) The two of them together plus a monitor cost me about $25 a month to run on the electric bill. They use less than 200 Watts together.

• 2 months later...

Good afternoon, I write here so as not to create a new thread with almost the same information.

I've been managing small Ark servers for 2 years with moments of up to 70 players. Last week I decided to take the step to invest in a workstation. Hp 620 with dual Xeon 2696v2 and 64Gb of Ram, I also added a Samsung 970 Evoplus. My surprise comes when I launch 2 Ark servers and with 80 players they are in 150/200 ping. What am I doing wrong? I have been so disappointed that I am about to return everything and continue with my small server.

Thank you in advance to everyone who can help me. Excuse me if my English is bad, I have to use google translator.

28 minutes ago, Larkfields said:

What is the cpu on your "old" server.

Each Ark server will use a single core (2 threads) of a CPU, so adding cores doesn't necessarily help.

Have a look at task manager (assuming the server is on Windoze) to see if there are any obvious bottlenecks.

My old server is a Ryzen 5 1600 X with 32Gb of ram. It has managed to support this past week 2 Crystal Isles servers with 140 players but the ping was already very unstable with peaks of 150/200.

Looking at the task manager of my new Workstation I see that the servers consume 2% of CPU and 7Gb of Ram per server. The typical. The problem is that with 50/60 players the Ping is already shot reaching 150. I don't know where the problem may be.

51 minutes ago, Larkfields said:

I use the non-ATM port. But I don't understand how with only 2 servers on Ram's 64Gb workstation my players go to 150 ping.

1 hour ago, Larkfields said:

Are the network ports set to 100Mb/s full duplex or auto-detect, and is your router's port set to 100Mb/s?

If any are on 10Mb/s, or half-duplex then you might have a bottleneck.
Also check your cables are Cat 5 or better.

A faulty cable could reduce the traffic throughput.

I have all the default settings, as they are when you install Windows. I've never needed to touch anything to make it work well. I have 600M symmetric. The capture that I am attaching is with 1 single server and 16 people.

https://gyazo.com/5ed0742b18e65827a3af211a0f4319d8

Archived