Best hardware to run dedicated server

ltstickers

From running some of europes most popular servers, below servers like MTS and Salty bay.

My experience and looking at Unreal Engine 4 forums the servers run all calculations through one single core and thats why single core performance is key to lagfree server.

Ram and Hardrives come second to single core performance but M.2 disks are best, have either  raided or 2 seperate 1 for actual server and 1 for backups.

And Ram i usually calculate 4+ gig per server/70 players it also depends on settings and such.

One thing ive learnt is to check your power scheme on your machine usually its set to balanced instead of high performance and that can have a big impact on your server performance.

Hi , I have some question to about this topic too , So 3 months ago i try to open ark server on my server and i found i big problem on my server is "lag problem"  my ark server use 12 mod and 13 plugin when player online 15+ on 1 map ping will up from 30 to 80-100 and lag every 2-3 min i try to do anything for fix it but It not working for me but lately i think i already found my problem because my cpu frequency too low for get player 30-50 on my ark server , So my question is all problem is my cpu frequency too low right ?

CPU : 2 x E5-2670v2 ( 20Core 40Threads 2.5 GHz)
RAM : 64 GB
SSD : 1 TB
Network : 1 Gbps

Please advise. What should I do? , Thank.

You can see if your cpu is a problem by looking at the task manager CPU graph...

The image shows my 4 core CPU as threads (4 cores = 8 threads).  Cores 0 and 3 are almost idle. 

Core 1 runs my busy map.  If any more people were to join, it would suffer lots of lag.  This is not so good.
Core 2 runs a quieter map - the graph shows about 30% activity.  This is good.

You need the activity to be under 100% because activity increases as people join, or do boss fights, or travel near large bases, or the server does a save.

image.thumb.png.62eadd15b9459d0c36cee072a6fdeb2a.png

22 minutes ago, Larkfields said:

You can see if your cpu is a problem by looking at the task manager CPU graph...

The image shows my 4 core CPU as threads (4 cores = 8 threads).  Cores 0 and 3 are almost idle. 

Core 1 runs my busy map.  If any more people were to join, it would suffer lots of lag.  This is not so good.
Core 2 runs a quieter map - the graph shows about 30% activity.  This is good.

You need the activity to be under 100% because activity increases as people join, or do boss fights, or travel near large bases, or the server does a save.

image.thumb.png.62eadd15b9459d0c36cee072a6fdeb2a.png

yep i see but i want make sure lag it happen from cpu frequency too low or not

649853675_.thumb.png.e3cdc14ef09b859d234e2c890c40a283.png

• 2 months later...

Hi. I would like to Re-open this topic. I want to build a server myself and im considering buying some old server.

Question is: is The xeon 5620 capable to run a server for 30ppl at peak at about 4 maps? 

I tried to run a server on my old ntb with i7 2670qm(Just to try settings and managing) and The cpu run at 4% with no player online. 

Ofcourse RAM was a problem since it had only 8gb so it was over 90% all The time and caused lags. 

I know that I have to have 8gb+ ram per map at least without system requirements. Im Just not sure with The cpu and dont want to waste my money. 

30 players online is The absolute peak and I expect something between 10-20.

Thanks 

• 3 weeks later...

My Experience says Ark Server use two real cores. And use 2 threads at each core.
Core two seems to handle the Network traffic to the server. I Switched to a good Server Networkcard who can take TCP and UDP load from the CPU and if feel smoother in the game. This cards are not cheap. I had one over, but I do not think I should have buy one if I did not already had one. 

To chime in on previous conversations in here, I've run 6 heavily modded servers on both an i7 7700k and more recently a Ryzen 5 3600X. The Ryzen is definitely good enough for a moderate ARK setup so long as you aren't seeing extremely high player peaks, in which case yeah it could be troublesome, but most aren't seeing those peaks so it should be a non-issue for the average community.

On 9/20/2020 at 11:42 PM, GandleALF said:

My Experience says Ark Server use two real cores. And use 2 threads at each core.
Core two seems to handle the Network traffic to the server. I Switched to a good Server Networkcard who can take TCP and UDP load from the CPU and if feel smoother in the game. This cards are not cheap. I had one over, but I do not think I should have buy one if I did not already had one. 

Which model of network card do you use?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived