Black pearl advice

wizard03

Black pearl advice

Ok guys, tried asking for some help from the community, had my post moved into bugs? weird. Anyways, looking for some help on the black pearl issue that's looming ahead in the distance. Im looking for a way to farm up industrial amounts of black pearls. However it seems more and more like Im trying to dive into the deep end without even knowing how to swim, as all of my underwater encounters have been very very problematic. Iv lost a plesiosaur, couple dunks, an entire army of sharks, and am now pondering as to what I should do, where should I go, which dino to tame...….At this point in time, Im looking for a underwater goliath to tame up, but am unsure which creature to tame....is it a squiddy? A mossa?  Anyone got some solid advice?  And keep in mind, this is all in a quest for the black pearls. Its not for oil, silica pearls, or anything other than the black pearls.

Iv had some luck using a dunk on the underwater scorpion guys, but gamepedia website says a grappling hook + Therizinosaur = profit? If so, I think im going to get a boat together with a pen, and maybe a manta to make a high speed delivery and harvesting system. Maybe I could avoid the underwater scene altogether. 
Also alpha mossa and squiddy is a big pay out, but Im not having much luck being aggressive while underwater. I found a wild squid, but lost a small shark army and a lvl 65 dunk I was using. {I know that it was not a crazy high lvl, but it was against a lvl 4 squidy, so yeah I thought it would work, but apparently not} So advice on how to deal with an alpha mossa would be nice...…underwater homering mine maybe?

Thanks for any help and sorry for the wall of txt. x.x

1 minute ago, Cowgirl said:

My advice is A if you have the ability tame/breed (or buy) a black pearl gacha or two. OR if that is not possible tame a good basil and use it to eat squids. I don't attack alpha squids though.

Im currently playing offline, on the island, and super vanilla. No admin commands, all settings have not been touched, ect. ect. And why a basil? Whats the reasoning? When I had my high lvl dunk and sharkies, I was tearing them up fairly easy. o.o

Here are a few of the options available.

By hand/whip :
- Ragnarok, near the SW spawn. There are a dozen clams to be collected by hand.
- Aberration, on the shores of the element lake all the way down the rad zone (next to drake nests).
- Genesis, inside the volcano. There are a few spots during the trip down to magmasaur nests as well as surrounding said nests.

Killing :
- Dolphin is immune to torpor and thus a good way to easily farm eurypterids.
- Mass murdering trilobytes in aberration green zone rivers.
- Basilo and farm alpha mosas in the easy underwater cave on the Island. (West one). These stupid IAs hardly ever attacks you and the whole cave respawn within 15 mins.
- Basilo to kill alpha squids on any map with an ocean.

5 minutes ago, Darkholis said:

Here are a few of the options available.

By hand/whip :
- Ragnarok, near the SW spawn. There are a dozen clams to be collected by hand.
- Aberration, on the shores of the element lake all the way down the rad zone (next to drake nests).
- Genesis, inside the volcano. There are a few spots during the trip down to magmasaur nests as well as surrounding said nests.

Killing :
- Dolphin is immune to torpor and thus a good way to easily farm eurypterids.
- Mass murdering trilobytes in aberration green zone rivers.
- Basilo and farm alpha mosas in the easy underwater cave on the Island. (West one). These stupid IAs hardly ever attacks you and the whole cave respawn within 15 mins.
- Basilo to kill alpha squids on any map with an ocean.

Just on island for now, but the info on the itchy/dolphin is very usefully, will tame on of them up instead of the manta! Does me more justice if I do the floating eurypterid harvesting raft!
My current black pearl collection is mostly from the trilobytes, used the sloth guy while bug hunting....does an ok job, but dang is it slow.

and ok, two people concur with the basilo...Still unsure why, I must have tore threw 10 of em with that dunk I had earlier, but if nothing else, I know its easy enough to get one.

1 hour ago, wizard03 said:

Im currently playing offline, on the island, and super vanilla. No admin commands, all settings have not been touched, ect. ect. And why a basil? Whats the reasoning? When I had my high lvl dunk and sharkies, I was tearing them up fairly easy. o.o

Others have provided the answer, but I do want to add that if you didnt know this watch your basils health because they take hits when too deep BUT they regen health really really fast and that is also super helpful for dealing with the squids. You can get like a 20k hp and 400+ mele basil fairly easily and they can eat a squid. 

8 hours ago, gojinki said:

The basilo has a lot of health and can't be grabbed by squids or stunned by jellyfish making it a good choice for just about any underwater endeavors.

HOLY CRAP! If I had known that, Id probably would have tamed 100 of them up by now. XD The anti grabbing for the squiddies is meh, but the jellys and the eels are a super pain in the ass, knowing that Id have gone for one of them right away!

7 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

Others have provided the answer, but I do want to add that if you didnt know this watch your basils health because they take hits when too deep BUT they regen health really really fast and that is also super helpful for dealing with the squids. You can get like a 20k hp and 400+ mele basil fairly easily and they can eat a squid. 

Well keep in mind, Im playing a very vanilla game thus far. Most typical dino lvl for me is 10-20. Low 30s is....unusual, but happen occasionally. But still, a lvl 30 basil should be comparable, especially against a lvl 4 squiddy Id bet?

5 hours ago, Gelantious said:

As others have mentioned, getting a basil or a squid would be the way to go.

BUT I'd also really recommend you look into moving to another map as the island is the worst for black pearls.
Ragnarok is the easiest by far, or Extinction for gachas. Can bring one back with you to the island :)

Well,  for right now Im sticking with the island.....never played ark before hand and Id like to get through things "normally' before doing any sort of map jumping or whatever it is.
Literally just started bout a month ago, just kinda "poof here it is," kind of scenario for me, and after putting it off for a minute, decided "what the hell" and fired it up....In love with this game thus far. At least the offline version. XD

You can also leave out baryonyx on wander agressive inside leashes on the beaches.  THey will kill all the thingys on the beaches that drop pearls.  IF you did this on a large enough scale, you could have all the black pearls u need.  Baryonyx only eat fish so this would keep them fed forever and all you have to do is go by and clear out their inventories.

Trilobites that's what i was thinking of.  Keep the baryonyx leashed over their favorite spawn points and let them do all the work.

6 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Well keep in mind, Im playing a very vanilla game thus far. Most typical dino lvl for me is 10-20. Low 30s is....unusual, but happen occasionally. But still, a lvl 30 basil should be comparable, especially against a lvl 4 squiddy Id bet?

Oh yea, that should not be a problem at all. I play official (vanilla) but the levels are a lot different, max basil/squid level on vanilla official is 150, I figured you were going by that difficulty xD

On 3/28/2020 at 3:25 PM, GrumpyBear said:

You can also leave out baryonyx on wander agressive inside leashes on the beaches.  THey will kill all the thingys on the beaches that drop pearls.  IF you did this on a large enough scale, you could have all the black pearls u need.  Baryonyx only eat fish so this would keep them fed forever and all you have to do is go by and clear out their inventories.

Trilobites that's what i was thinking of.  Keep the baryonyx leashed over their favorite spawn points and let them do all the work.

I have not learned the "leash" engram yet? Is it even available on the island without DLC?
But yeah, that sounds like a casual way of farming up black pearls. However since Im offline, would they still continue to farm when Im gone? AK, are they still doing their thing if they are not within render distance?

On 3/28/2020 at 4:27 PM, Cowgirl said:

Oh yea, that should not be a problem at all. I play official (vanilla) but the levels are a lot different, max basil/squid level on vanilla official is 150, I figured you were going by that difficulty xD

Nah, the only thing I have messed with is the ability to feed a titanasour…..literally first thing I ever seen when I started this run was the titanasour cruising around the top of the little hill by the middle easy spawn with the little river inlet and cove. Thought to myself, "wow that's a cool looking bronto" figured out later it was actually a titanasour and went decided we needed to tame him. So I checked off that one little marker so that when we do tame him, we can keep him fed and alive. :P

Archived