Hosting Dedicated Server Xbox/PC

Hosting Dedicated Server Xbox/PC

I asked the below question to Ark Support but their reply was to check this forum for answers, which is a disappointing response.  I couldn't find anything helpful yet on the forums.  Please help if you know how to make this work.

I would like to host a dedicated server so that my wife and I can play Ark together privately on Xbox One console without being teleported due to the tethering restrictions when playing Ark on Local or Non-dedicated server. In addition to my Xbox One console license for Ark, I recently purchased a Ark license for PC through Steam for the purpose of hosting a dedicated server on my PC Steam account so that we can join the dedicated server from my Xbox One console. However, on my Xbox One console I can not find the dedicated server that I am hosting from my PC Steam session. I understand that Ark supports cross platform gaming so why can't I join my PC Steam hosted dedicated server from my Xbox One console? Does it not work because one is running off of a PC Steam account and the other from Xbox? If so, I have an additional Xbox One console. What would be the most cost effective method for setting up the dedicated server on Xbox One Account and then playing on that Xbox One hosted dedicated server from my second Xbox One console? Would that require purchasing 3 copies of the game (1 for the server, 1 for me, and 1 for my wife)? Would that also require 3 Xbox Live account subscriptions for each respectively?

XboX and Steam versions are not compatible nor do they communicate or play on same servers.

XboX account "A" has an XBoX gold or whatever they call it now.  Sets one XboX as their home Xbox and then another account can log into that xbox and run same games.  So server would run on "home" xbox and you play on the other.  The other account, wife's, would then have to have their own version of XboX Gold and an XboX to play on.  Have the Game Account that you used to log into the "home" xbox and add both you and wife as friends.  Then start in dedicated server mode and you would join game account game via xbox friends list.

The PC version you can get is via the Microsoft App Store and download to pc and run it there.  I have not done that though it intrigued me because of the utter lack of support or updates that gets.  So you end up with different versions between xbox and pc app version and can't play.  Now unless you happen to have 3 xboxes tethering may be best thing for now as they seem to have gotten what they wanted from consoles and have basically forgotten about fixing or even having it possible to run dedicated servers on other xbox.

Archived