PLEASE make updates faster to download.

captyarrr

Suggestion

8 replies to this server topic

7 minutes ago, captyarrr said:

PLEASE make updates faster to donwload.

Another update, 80% and downloading over 2 hours now. 574Mb.

Imprints where due 90 minutes ago.

Why does it take so long?

Can this PLEASE be fixed?

I am not sure whether WC can make your internet speed any faster.  The size of the updates is what they are.  Either we get the fixes or we don't.  I'd rather have large slow downloading patches than none at all. 

4 minutes ago, Myrm said:

I am not sure whether WC can make your internet speed any faster.  The size of the updates is what they are.  Either we get the fixes or we don't.  I'd rather have large slow downloading patches than none at all. 

It's not my connection, allready pinged it. Downloaded another file (around 3gb in less then 10 mins during the wait).

I get 5% of the update each 15 mins then it stopps. Any other ideas?

And thanks for the facepalm, dunno why, but greatly appreciated.

6 hours ago, Myrm said:

The bottleneck for Ark updates through Steam typically isn't your internet speed. Other games download and update quickly, but Ark is significantly slower.

Just now, captyarrr said:

It's not my connection, allready pinged it. Downloaded another file (around 3gb in less then 10 mins during the wait).

I get 5% of the update each 15 mins then it stopps. Any other ideas?

I can't account for why your update stops, as I have not noticed that at my end.  

I am wondering if the slow download of updates could be simply due to the fact that, because of the current lockdown, a lot of people are stuck at home (people off work, bin lids off school). Perhaps there is a lot more people playing the consoles and PCs at the same time, so when an update drops a lot more people are downloading it at the same time. Perhaps the servers on which the update files sit are just having to deal with a lot more download requests. 

27 minutes ago, Myrm said:

I can't account for why your update stops, as I have not noticed that at my end.  

I am wondering if the slow download of updates could be simply due to the fact that, because of the current lockdown, a lot of people are stuck at home (people off work, bin lids off school). Perhaps there is a lot more people playing the consoles and PCs at the same time, so when an update drops a lot more people are downloading it at the same time. Perhaps the servers on which the update files sit are just having to deal with a lot more download requests. 

Ok, maybe it is a capacity thing or the covid. Perhaps the 2 combined, too bad I missed around 30 imprints.

Like almost each event lately when getting big updates and timing imprints.

Thanks for the reply.

(As soon as I hit enter on this message i got the remaining 22% and install within 6 mins. Pretty funny ikr??)

• Volunteer Moderator
44 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

The bottleneck for Ark updates through Steam typically isn't your internet speed. Other games download and update quickly, but Ark is significantly slower.

ARK is not slower to update than any other games. Updates are pushed through the same network. A network owned by VALVe. Lower rates are most likely to be expected for top10 games at peak hours, but to download 574mb in 2 hours, that means he is like downloading at 80 kb/s which is definitely an issue on his side. I always average 2-10 mb/s when updating.

1 minute ago, invincibleqc said:

ARK is not slower to update than any other games. Updates are pushed through the same network. A network owned by VALVe. Lower rates are most likely to be expected for top10 games at peak hours, but to download 574mb in 2 hours, that means he is like downloading at 80 kb/s which is definitely an issue on his side. I always average 2-10 mb/s when updating.

Agreed! 

I did some testing:

-Average downloadspeed is 500 (ish) Mb/s (now with the nerf on connections due to covid)

-I also changed the downloadserver (maybe this will help in the future)

Is there a way to see when there are peak hours? Also will see look at other games and their downloads, maybe it's my connection otherwise. I had slow downloads before (ARK is mostly the slowest tho) but never over 2 hours on 547Mb.

Archived