Why do we STILL have parking lots?

Duffmek

Why do we STILL have parking lots?

As the title says really, I am a returning player from a year or so ago now when cryopods first came out population of dinos on servers dropped which is ace but having returned i have seen the server i am on full of parking lots again ... huge pointless bases with tons of the same type of dino mainly wyverns so far - so i ask the wider community why? seriously why the clans have to feed these etc so why not just pod them all and have a smaller footprint if its only going to be a parking base, we can name the cryopods etc so it wouldnt be hard to see / organise them either.

I know its a PvE only problem since in PvP we can just 'kill' the opponents dinos but im a casual PvEr 

I both agree and disagree with this on the account that some people use that as a basis for conducting business. Some people are just saying: "Look at all I have to sell! Come on down, and shoot me an offer!" 

Then again, a lot of people are indeed just spamming their cloned creatures everywhere. Does get a tad annoying.

Further there is no cryosickness in pve anymore, so I been meaning to pod some dinos, my tribe mate used to put out 30+ of a dino type he was breeding, and if I put them away he'd get anal about it when he had to unpod them all. And for boss fights some people have a rex army perpetually unpoded, people please put that poop away!!!

Or it could be that they are doing kibble farms, Rex eggs, Yuty eggs, etc etc. I don't keep 500 dinos out but I do usually keep at least 20 good animals out for that purpose. If they could come up with a better way to handle kibble production I'd be more than happy to keep most my dinos podded except during breeding. 

1 minute ago, Rio4201 said:

Or it could be that they are doing kibble farms, Rex eggs, Yuty eggs, etc etc. I don't keep 500 dinos out but I do usually keep at least 20 good animals out for that purpose. If they could come up with a better way to handle kibble production I'd be more than happy to keep most my dinos podded except during breeding. 

They already did.. u only need 1 type of kibble now so drop everything but the yuty farm

1 hour ago, Rio4201 said:

as i said in my OP the main dinos i see are wyvens LOTS of them - I can semi see the 'trade' idea of having them on display BUT many of the tribes are either squares or VERY rarely on eg reset timers so to even deal with them it is a hassle but an egg farm is easy plus i used to have my rex army out 24/7 but that was literally used almost daily if not more depending on the day lol so i can understand that opinion it is literally the huge bases full to the brim with dinos that are not used daily / or even semi regular - i have seen one wyven on my new server flying about so far lol :)

My guess is that those bases are "shops" or supposed to be. Owners main on other maps most of the time, only coming back to refresh and feed so their dinos are just lagging everyone with no other purpose.

They also like to complain about how laggy server is, not realizing they are the reason, among other zombie tribes who keep enormous empty bases because they got attached to those stone wall structures.

Lol, I've seen people complained about others' bases, then people complain others' dinos. These people are always complaining. They don't have the mindset to play PVE and no guts to play PVP.

If you are constantly thinking about killing other people's dinos, PVP always welcome you. If you play PVE, you make friends with people instead. If you don't like anyone at all, just go and play single player.

Maybe they keep them out to avoid the numerous incidents where cryopods end up bugged and deleted tames upon release.  They might be trying to hoard the max tame cap.  Maybe they don't want to worry about cryo timers when the time comes to defend against a raid.  They could also just like their dino collection to be visible.  I don't know for sure, but those are my guesses.  I've been burned by cryopods many times before.  I still get nervous using them with my prized tames.

9 hours ago, DC9413 said:

Lol, I've seen people complained about others' bases, then people complain others' dinos. These people are always complaining. They don't have the mindset to play PVE and no guts to play PVP.

If you are constantly thinking about killing other people's dinos, PVP always welcome you. If you play PVE, you make friends with people instead. If you don't like anyone at all, just go and play single player.

complaining? nope i was simple stating a fact. i have pumped 4k+ hours into this game and seen the devs 'try' to control the parking lots badly its a shame that people like you cannot read and understand what the question was ... also people like you are part of the problem.

Single player is for testing builds in god mode and messing with lvls not the actual game design, i have a tribe i enjoy playing with other people BUT when u cannot understand the squares or they do not communicate with others at all and simple use the server as what i said they are doing 'storage units' to circumnavigate the tame limit it seems then i asked the question to see if the community still sees it as it is or has other views - so far its the same - thank you to all the normal constructive feedback and thanks to the rest for proving the community is still a human cesspool at times :)

tell me again...what's wrong with parking lot now?

why can't people have a base with 500 dinos?

pods don't keep warpaint and the name of the original tamer

pods also allows tribe mates to steal the dino

pods also don't allow the dino to have anything on them besides the saddle

wyverns are also low maintenance dinos they eat like once a month

is this a holier than god kinda post because its certainly looks like one

I keep my adult dinos not podded because

1: if I pod them, I might actually forget about them and that just wouldn't do. Because if I forget, I won't breed them and if I don't breed... Well, nothing really would happen, but waiting to see what hatches out of a new egg is one of my main sources of excitement in this game.

2. Some are painted. Single color (white on whatever is the dino's natural ones), but annoying to load back onto them.

3. I'm too lazy to make enough pods. I have a bit less than thirty overall, with at least five of them occupied nearly always by babies I'm saving for later and one occupied permanently by my megalodon because I like him, but not enough to find a place for a water pen, build the pen and regularly visit the megalodon to feed him.

4. The number of my dinos is always below 80. Can't imagine them creating that much lag, I would have noticed that first (my computer is not exactly the strongest one)!

Got one solution for anyone complaining these kind of things. Make some special PVE servers, limit tame cap and building cap both down to 50. Oh well, let them have the ability to download items from normal official servers, I can imagine that no breeder will play on these servers, so let them trade dinos from breeders. But disable upload to normal servers, so they commit to their play style, not just wasting servers. Also, increase food consumption rate for adult dinos up to 50x, so everything will starve to death in one day, and no one will leave dinos out of cryopods.

Just replying to OP's doubt, I personally know lots of builders and breeders in ark. Some people just enjoy building their dream structures. And some people just want to log on and see their favourite dinos standing alive in front of them. If you have the right mindset to play PVE, you should be able to make friends with them. If you are just toxic, you can't accept different play styles, you should play PVP, there are tons of mega tribe with even more dinos standing around waiting for you to kill.

For server lag, that's more like a development issue. I've seen many servers went from normal to unplayable, then back to normal with all the tribes stayed the same. If you play this game long enough, you should remember those days when every PVE servers constantly stayed on server tame cap. Are we hitting the server cap anymore? Are servers faster these days? That's questionable. If anyone is actually abusing game mechanics, the server should crash consistently. If server lagged and crashed randomly, that's more like a server issue.

20 hours ago, PertySlick said:

Maybe they don't want to worry about cryo timers when the time comes to defend against a raid.

@PertySlick

As mentioned by op, this is pretty much only a pve problem. If someone manages to build up 500 tames on pvp and keeps them out for this reason, more power to them I say lolz. But your point is moot in pve which is what this post is about so...

8 hours ago, AllOfTheAllos said:

3. I'm too lazy to make enough pods.

@AllOfTheAllos

You're probably not part of the problem if you don't have that many pods, seems this is more about mega tribes...

8 hours ago, HiImZech said:

tell me again...what's wrong with parking lot now?

why can't people have a base with 500 dinos?

pods don't keep warpaint and the name of the original tamer

pods also allows tribe mates to steal the dino

pods also don't allow the dino to have anything on them besides the saddle

wyverns are also low maintenance dinos they eat like once a month

is this a holier than god kinda post because its certainly looks like one

What's wrong/ why can't people have it? -Well tbh as long as the game allows it, ya can! But it's a little selfish. It causes an extreme amount of lag when someone with a pc on the lower end of the recommended specs, even approaches your base.

pods don't keep warpaint/ name of original tamer -on this I have no comment, other than personally I don't care about those functions of the game enough to stop me from podding my tribe mates tames... :D

allows tribe mates to steal -err hmm correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't they be able to just make a  pod and pod it and steal it? Or is that blocked by some admin setting.. idk.

I have a pretty good PC and we had one guy who is thankfully not playing anymore on our server who had all his dinos on display. Probably 400-500 spinos and wyverns, every time I came across his base my FPS dropped heavily. 

This should be good enough of a reason to limit dino limits further on officials since Cryopods are available now. I understand that everyone enjoys the game differently and that is totally fine but those people are affecting others as well. Some people crashed when the flew over that guys base and such things shouldn't really be a thing anymore since you could just cryo them. He wasn't even playing the game, he logged on to feed his dinos every few days, logged off and that over 8 months. I have probably seen him online 4-6 times over 8 months. His base was what OP probably meant, an abomination of old ARK days, where everyone had their dinos outside and used them as base decoration. 

Times change and pods/updated made it possible to not have 500 dinos outside your base who DIRECTLY affect other players on your server.  This is just my opinion and I don't really care if it get's changed or not because everyone can play how they want but it's an abomination in my eyes to see such a base and those people should maybe think about the others on their server.

13 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

What's wrong/ why can't people have it? -Well tbh as long as the game allows it, ya can! But it's a little selfish. It causes an extreme amount of lag when someone with a pc on the lower end of the recommended specs, even approaches your base.

pods don't keep warpaint/ name of original tamer -on this I have no comment, other than personally I don't care about those functions of the game enough to stop me from podding my tribe mates tames... :D

allows tribe mates to steal -err hmm correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't they be able to just make a  pod and pod it and steal it? Or is that blocked by some admin setting.. idk.

no you can't pod the dino if the personal owner is set to someone else

that is if your tribe settings allows it to have personal owner

which is the better way if you're partnering up with people on the internet otherwise you're going to get insided

and extreme amount of lag is subjective. dino renders are CLIENT-SIDE. if you don't want a certain group of people to come to your base or whatever that should help

also wc introduced some new rendering measures to combat dino massing. you should try that.

4 hours ago, HiImZech said:

lag is subjective. dino renders are CLIENT-SIDE

Not sure what your point is, you saying you don't care if it affects the lower end of the clients spectrum? Yes it is client side, that is the whole point, the amount of dinos you are allowed to have out, and the megalithic size of the bases you can generate, disproportionately affects the player base. And THAT is why those who have the recommended specs, but their computer poops a brick if they accidentally wander to close to certain bases, feel like they are being marginalized -whilst they are not a small margin, but even if it were what is acceptable? Everyone with a 1k $$ computer and above is the preferred clients? lol. The game needs to cater to everyone who meets the recommended specs. As for the pod settings that seems like a separate issue, so I gather if you tame/ raise a dino under certain admin settings you own that dino and have certain protections to keep tribe mates from stealing it? But podding it would forever axe that? That is just retarded. Wc needs to recode the cryopods to keep the protections?

6 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

Not sure what your point is, you saying you don't care if it affects the lower end of the clients spectrum? Yes it is client side, that is the whole point, the amount of dinos you are allowed to have out, and the megalithic size of the bases you can generate, disproportionately affects the player base. And THAT is why those who have the recommended specs, but their computer poops a brick if they accidentally wander to close to certain bases, feel like they are being marginalized -whilst they are not a small margin, but even if it were what is acceptable? Everyone with a 1k $$ computer and above is the preferred clients? lol. The game needs to cater to everyone who meets the recommended specs. As for the pod settings that seems like a separate issue, so I gather if you tame/ raise a dino under certain admin settings you own that dino and have certain protections to keep tribe mates from stealing it? But podding it would forever axe that? That is just retarded. Wc needs to recode the cryopods to keep the protections?

nope. completely don't care. why do I want to have so many people coming over to my base? what do they want to do in my base? my base is not an airport neither is it a community structure. my server has a bunch of those built around places with rich resources they can use the free porter to get there and make it an airport.

they can thank the ark gods I have not set all my plant x to strike nearby players. they can also thank the ark gods I did not set my overladen bee to be on aggressive high range and the rest of my base on neutral. i didn't make my base in the middle of nowhere without a purpose. don't render in my base or suffer. you may think this is a very snobish thing to do but you have to understand how people in pve play pvp with each other.

the game does not need to cater to everyone. the game only needs to be marketed to everyone so they know such a game exist. the game does not need to bend over backwards just because someone can't afford a decent pc to run the game on low. ark has always been a resource intensive game, and it is good that it remains this way. people who often do malicious stuff on pve runs on these specs. I'm not going to name names or countries but you should get the idea.

wc does not have to make anymore adjustments to the cryopods. either you adapt to it or you get insided. this is a survival game. you survive whatever's thrown in your face. or go get your money back from steam.

and fyi 1k computers = run on low.

the recommended spec has been a lie 5 years running.

Archived