Suggestion: Tek saddle update

TriloByte

Suggestion

Suggestion: Tek saddle update

Before I start, I just wanna say that I am not a PvP player and I only recently got into Official PvE a few months, so I apologize if any of these ideas seem unbalanced as I am not sure what the current meta is like or anything like that, these are just ideas I've had and I figured I'd share them.

This particular idea is for an update centered around tek saddles. The current tek saddles have never really seemed that worth it to me; they are expensive to craft, their armor value is worse than even some ramshackle blueprints, and they are also completely oriented for use in PvP. This update would flesh out tek saddles to give them many new uses and also make them more useful in PvE situations. 

• More tek saddles
    •  This one should be obvious, but if we're gonna be fleshing out tek saddles, they might as well make more of them! 
      • Reaper Tek Saddle (Module slots: 3)
      • Trike Tek Saddle (Module slots: 2)
      • Wooly Rhino Tek Saddle (Module slots: 2)
      • Wyvern Tek Saddle (Module slots: 3)
      • Giganotosaurus Tek Saddle (Module slots: 4)
      • Griffin Tek Saddle (Module slots: 2) 
      • Snow Owl Tek Saddle (Module slots: 1)
      • Karkinos Tek Saddle (Module slots: 3)
      • Spinosaurus Tek Saddle (Module slots: 2)
      • Mantis Tek Saddle (Module slots: 1) 
      • Direwolf Tek Saddle (Module slots: 1)
      • Direbear Tek Saddle (Module slots: 2)
      • Roll Rat Tek Saddle (Module slots: 2)
      • Rex Tek Saddle (Module slots: 4)
      • Tapejara Tek Saddle (Module slots: 2)
      • Megalodon Tek Saddle (Module slots: 3)
      • Mosasaurus Tek Saddle (Module slots: 4)
      • Rock Drake Tek Saddle (Module slots: 3)
      • Astrocetus Tek Saddle: (Module slots: 5)

• Tek saddle modules
    • Similar to the Mek, tek saddles now have their own modules! However, unlike the Mek modules, saddle modules are tekgrams, not engrams. Also unlike the Mek, different tek saddles can support different amount of modules. Here are some of the tek saddle module ideas I've come up with:

Blaster Module: Exactly the same as the current guns already equipped on tek saddles except now, they are considered a module and be unequipped to use other modules. No passive ability, usable by all tek saddles.

Cockpit Module: This module requires element to run and encapsulates the rider in an energy field that protects them from damage as long as it is powered. Passive adds slight damage resistance and is usable by all tek saddles. Cannot be used in tandem with the Passenger Module.

Passenger Module: This module does not require any fuel source of its own, but instead adds a second seat to the tame. No passive, usable by all tek saddles that don't already seat multiple riders. Cannot be used at the same time as the Cockpit Module.

Turret Module: Exactly the same as the gun turrets on the Astrocetus tek saddle, now in module form! This module can only be used on tek saddles with a passenger seat. No passive. Cannot be used in tandem with Passenger Module

Defense Module: This module resembles a mask/helmet that fits over the tame's head. Tames equipped with this module would look like they have the head of a tek variant, and would grant extra armor and protect the tame from headshot damage at the cost of element. The tame's head would have a shimmering graphical effect so creatures that are already tek variants can still be distinguished as wearing a Defense Module. Passive grants slight boost to melee damage of tame, usable by all tames with tek saddles.

Shield Module: This module resembles a collar around the tame's neck and turns the tame into a support role. When activated, a vertical, translucent, rectangle-shaped energy barrier appears in front of them at the cost of element. This shield is about 5 walls high and 6 foundations wide, giving enough room to cover the tame, the rider, and perhaps ground troops standing beside them. When the shield is deployed, the tame will be unable to sprint. No passive, usable by ground tames with tek saddles.

Jet Module: This module resembles the jet on the back of the tek chestpiece and requires element for fuel. When activated, pressing shift will cause the tame to enter a static "glide" animation and the jet will propel them forward, allowing them to soar at great speeds. Pressing spacebar will create a burst that can be used to strafe, gain altitude, or dive similar to the Managarmr, but will cost a bigger chunk of the Element percentage. When the Jet Module is in use, the creature will not use extra stamina. Passive is slight increase in movement speed and is only usably by flyers, aquatic tames and gliding tames.

Power module: This module would arguably be the most powerful, but its use would be restricted to tames that have a charge or dive attack, such as the Wooly Rhino or Snow owl. When equipped, a simmering energy-effect covers the front of the tame and the rider. Once the charge-dive is initiated, it will start consuming Element for power and the shimmer effect becomes more pronounced, and they deal more damage the faster they go. Once they've reached their top speed, they can also knock down trees and smash through rocks, and will also do extra damage to structures. Passive grants resistance to damage that scales with speed and as stated before, is only useable by tames with charge/dive attacks. Cannot be used on a tek saddle that is currently equipped with a Jet Module.

Freight Module: This module adds 3 special slots to your tame's inventory. Whatever you place into these slots will grant the tame 75% weight reduction for that item as long as it is equipped. Passive perk allows tames to continue walking even when encumbered at the cost of element, similar to the tek leggings. Can be used with any tek saddle.

Charge Module: This is the only module that does not require element to run, instead consuming charge batteries. When the module is equipped, the lights on the tek saddle will glow much brighter and will emit charge light. Accessing the radial menu will allow them player to toggle the range of the charge light, with power draw scaling accordingly. No passive, usable by all tek saddles.

All modules are powered individually be dragging element over them on the mount's inventory screen.

• All tek saddles now have durability
    • However, this durability acts differently than other items. Instead, the durability determines the amount of features available to be used.
    • All tek saddles can have full fabricator, smithy and mort and pestle functionalities at full power.
      • At 100%-75% all functionalities will work.
      • Below 75% the fabricator functionality will stop until repair.
      • Below 50% the smithy functionality will stop until repair.
      • Below 25% the mortar and pestle functionality will stop until repair
      • O% renders all modules inoperable and the tek saddle becomes just a fancy saddle until repair.
    • Tek saddles do not receive damage from attacks and only from consuming element for fuel

Constructive criticism is always welcome!

4 replies to this server topic

So besides the nay sayers in here just being rude and unsupportive. I like the idea a-lot honestly. Some creatures really need saddles and I think Tek is a perfect answer, plus the module system sounds fun. Even if it is a little broken balance wise I like it lol. Would definitely make a good mod. 

They may not implement all of this but maybe they will get some ideas from it for a later update.

Not sure we need to change Tek saddles too much, though I do think we need some way of getting ones with higher defense(OSD's and tougher Genesis missions, or boss drops from stuff like the King Titan). 

If the "modules" were to be added along with more Tek Saddles, I do have a list of creatures I think should have a Tek Saddle aside from the creatures that already have one(Rex, Megalodon, Astrocetus, Rock Drake, Tapejara, Mosa)

Tropeognathus

Griffin

Diplodocus(This thing REALLY needs something to give it some oomf)

Quetz

Bloodstalker(Like the Iron Spider from the MCU, think it would be cool)

Enforcers

Megalosaurs(Could be cool if the saddle extended how long they can be awake for, or removed "Grogginess" until they are at 120/120 sleep depravation)

Mammoth

Giganotosaurus(This would only work as a standard Tek Saddle, no modules or anything. High end blueprints of these can only be used once or twice before disappearing). 

Archived