SOLVED - How do I disable transfers from single player to my own Rented server

Rinkora

How do I disable transfers from single player to my own Rented server

I just discovered that on my ARK Genesis server people can enter a single player world and upload items and dinos from their single player save. Then download them onto my pve server. This is a function that I do not want to have.

How do I disable item and dino transfers from single player to my rented server?

I know that there should be a setting called -NoTransferFromFiltering that I have used before on my previous host. But they had a clickable setting for it. Where should this setting be placed for it to prevent downloads from Single Player? And is it even this setting that prevents it?

I have for now disabled Tribute downloads on my server so people cannot download anything. The way I want it is that players should only be able to upload and download things from within my Genesis server. Not from any other place.

Can anyone please help me with this or maybe point me in the right direction?

The host Im using is HostHavoc.

I sent a ticket to my host and explained my problem but their solution did not solve it.

They told me to add the -NoTransferFromFiltering setting in their additional parameter box.

I have now put the setting in the additional parameters but I can still download my items from my single player world into my HostHavoc server. So im not sure anymore what setting it was that prevents players from downloading items and dinos from ARKdata in the obelisk.

I thought it was -NoTransferFromFiltering but I was wrong.

I have still disabled Tribute downloads on my server so people cannot download anything. This is not optimal.

Anyone knows what server setting prevents single player downloads?

from my understanding notransferfromfiltering requires two settings:

-NoTransferFromFiltering -clusterid=mycluster123

where the value for -clusterid= some unique identifier for your server 'cluster'.   this should only allow servers who are part of that id to upload/download items but not bring in any from other servers/single player games.

6 hours ago, caleb68 said:

from my understanding notransferfromfiltering requires two settings:

-NoTransferFromFiltering -clusterid=mycluster123

where the value for -clusterid= some unique identifier for your server 'cluster'.   this should only allow servers who are part of that id to upload/download items but not bring in any from other servers/single player games.

Thanks for answering.?

The thing is that my server is a standalone server with no cluster attached, can I still use this -clusterid=mycluster123 in my additional parameters?

1 hour ago, Rinkora said:

Thanks for answering.?

The thing is that my server is a standalone server with no cluster attached, can I still use this -clusterid=mycluster123 in my additional parameters?

here's my understanding of how it works Rinkora

the -NoTransferFromFiltering sets it up so that transfers for that single (or multiple) server configuration can have items uploaded to the oblelisk.  When the items are uploaded they are assigned the name you included with the -clusterid, now by default the items have no name assigned to the uploaded items, and is why individuals could bring in items from single player games.  with the name assigned to them, this will prevent people from taking dinos and items off your server to other peoples servers, and prevent them from bringing them in from others servers.  If you ever rented a second server you could then assign the same -clusterid to that server and be able to transfer dinos between the two servers.

1 hour ago, Larkfields said:

You can, it won't cause any problems.

10 minutes ago, caleb68 said:

here's my understanding of how it works Rinkora

the -NoTransferFromFiltering sets it up so that transfers for that single (or multiple) server configuration can have items uploaded to the oblelisk.  When the items are uploaded they are assigned the name you included with the -clusterid, now by default the items have no name assigned to the uploaded items, and is why individuals could bring in items from single player games.  with the name assigned to them, this will prevent people from taking dinos and items off your server to other peoples servers, and prevent them from bringing them in from others servers.  If you ever rented a second server you could then assign the same -clusterid to that server and be able to transfer dinos between the two servers.

Thanks for all your input it means the world to me. I will now try the settings out and see if it works.?

• Rinkora changed the title to SOLVED - How do I disable transfers from single player to my own Rented server
2 hours ago, caleb68 said:

just don't use that example id (mycluster123) else others will be able to figure out your clusterid for the server pretty easy and be able to sneak dino's and items in.

It doesn't matter if the cluster ID goes public.  All Ark uses it for is to create a cluster specific directory on your server.
My cluster ID is cat2020  Upload to my cluster if you can!

The -NoTransferFromFiltering command line arg keeps you separated from single player transfers.

2 hours ago, Larkfields said:

It doesn't matter if the cluster ID goes public.  All Ark uses it for is to create a cluster specific directory on your server.
My cluster ID is cat2020  Upload to my cluster if you can!

The -NoTransferFromFiltering command line arg keeps you separated from single player transfers.

then there must be another command somewhere to make a cluster setup like official? where you have the servers running on different machines? 

Servers on different machines need to share the cluster directory across the network.  There's no need for any extra commands within Ark.
Servers will use NFS or Window's file shares or similar to "mount" the remote file system locally.

Some unofficial server owners have done this with varying degrees of success.

9 hours ago, Larkfields said:

Servers on different machines need to share the cluster directory across the network.  There's no need for any extra commands within Ark.
Servers will use NFS or Window's file shares or similar to "mount" the remote file system locally.

Some unofficial server owners have done this with varying degrees of success.

sounds abit like a pain in the butt for the servers. imagine trying to setup ones on different networks to link together that would be a major hassle.  

I could setup a cluster easy enough across multiple servers here at my house using the shared directory, but far as say.... just as a for instance... linking them with one on a hosted service would be painful. 

5 hours ago, caleb68 said:

sounds abit like a pain in the butt for the servers. imagine trying to setup ones on different networks to link together that would be a major hassle.  

I could setup a cluster easy enough across multiple servers here at my house using the shared directory, but far as say.... just as a for instance... linking them with one on a hosted service would be painful. 

I completely agree with you.

There are several ways of sharing file systems across networks, but they're mostly used within corporate LANs.  Sharing across the internet introduces so many points of failure that it's probably not worthwhile for individuals.

I've used NFS and SAMBA on departmental networks (approx. 100 machines), but I'd never have considered them for use across the internet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_distributed_file_systems
https://www.samba.org/

Archived