[v307.56] Green Circle/Ring - S+ Tek Trough Issues

Gelantious

18 hours ago, GP said:

My posts represent my own thoughts as a player like the rest of you. It is also commonsense to understand that a Modder accepts the fact that their Mod(s) could become broken with any core game update until the Dev Kit is updated. Ask any modder and i'm sure they will agree that they understand this before creating their mods. Now that is not saying it is their fault at all, unless you don't understand the definition of "fault".

I'm sure the Devs do their best to not break Mods, but the only way they can ensure 100% that they do not break mods is by NEVER updating the game.

I fail to see how anyone can not understand that. Yet instead you try and spew lies about official responses saying it's the modders fault when not a single person has said it is the modders FAULT.

You cannot post your own opinion under the auspices of being a moderator, no one will be able to separate official statements from personal ones. Everything you say reflects on WC, how can you not know this? Even that jerkwad Sapience from Turbine understood that. Make a separate non mod account for personal use. Even a volunteer has standards that have to be met. I'm sure that was explained to you. If not, WC is not exercising due diligence. I'm sure you don't want people to think WC agrees with any off the cuff responses to posts.  FYI, I'm about to launch with the changes in game. ini and see where that gets me.

UPDATE - still getting cryosickness, code does not work in single player mode whether in game.ini or gameusersettings.ini. Not sure what to do with that now.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to try and help explain things to the devs in the hope that they read this thread. 

• This issue seems to apply to all mods using some variant of the vanilla feeding troughs.
  • So far I've confirmed this issue is happening on S+, Super Structures and Automated Ark.
  • The issue is with both normal feeding troughs and tek troughs.
  • The patch notes makes it sound like the range was supposed to be only for tek troughs but it is present on the feeding troughs as well.
  • The mod creators say they cannot fix this issue until the Ark dev kit is updated.

I couldn't find where anybody submitted a bug report for this, so I made one here:

https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/pc-bug-reports/trough-visible-range-update-has-broken-mods-r31180

To whomever said that "this is the problem of relying on mods that are not maintained" - I have two words for you: backward compatibility.  This is a basic principle of software engineering, and I am hopeful that Wildcard will make this small change to avoid having every single mod author with a trough have to make changes to their code.

1 hour ago, hip3pop said:

I couldn't find where anybody submitted a bug report for this, so I made one here:

https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/pc-bug-reports/trough-visible-range-update-has-broken-mods-r31180

To whomever said that "this is the problem of relying on mods that are not maintained" - I have two words for you: backward compatibility.  This is a basic principle of software engineering, and I am hopeful that Wildcard will make this small change to avoid having every single mod author with a trough have to make changes to their code.

as long as their content is not bugged they have no obligations to make anything compatable with user generated content. Backwards compatability is indeed a concept, but it doesn't really apply in this case.

5 hours ago, Kaprosuchus said:

as long as their content is not bugged they have no obligations to make anything compatable with user generated content. Backwards compatability is indeed a concept, but it doesn't really apply in this case.

That bit (in italic) sounds like a joke.

Also, S+ is not some garbage with a pokemon face in the workshop (have you heard of the Homestead update - the building parts - and from where it came?). 2,619,057 people have it installed right now. Is this number of people somehow irrelevant to WC?

And they do have obligations with the mod community - the sponsored mods program is about that, helping even financially the development of mods (S+ was one of the first mods in the program back in 2017). And let's not forget that every single one of the biggest "promoters" of the game have S+ installed right now promoting Genesis in streams and youtube... Breaking S+ (even so slight) will only help the ratings to go even further down.

4 hours ago, Kwikwilyaqa said:

That bit (in italic) sounds like a joke.

Also, S+ is not some garbage with a pokemon face in the workshop (have you heard of the Homestead update - the building parts - and from where it came?). 2,619,057 people have it installed right now. Is this number of people somehow irrelevant to WC?

And they do have obligations with the mod community - the sponsored mods program is about that, helping even financially the development of mods (S+ was one of the first mods in the program back in 2017). And let's not forget that every single one of the biggest "promoters" of the game have S+ installed right now promoting Genesis in streams and youtube... Breaking S+ (even so slight) will only help the ratings to go even further down.

yes and the s+ mod was discontinued by the original creator and made open source if i am not mistaken. mod developers are expected to update their content to be compatable with wildcard's changes, like every mod. the sponsorship is a program where they pay real money to modders they like to continue developing their content. We can argue about this as long as you like but in the end they are allowed to do whatever they wish as long as everyone keeps paying them for it, as long as they are transparent to the consumer, which they are.

1 hour ago, Kaprosuchus said:

yes and the s+ mod was discontinued by the original creator and made open source if i am not mistaken. mod developers are expected to update their content to be compatable with wildcard's changes, like every mod. the sponsorship is a program where they pay real money to modders they like to continue developing their content. We can argue about this as long as you like but in the end they are allowed to do whatever they wish as long as everyone keeps paying them for it, as long as they are transparent to the consumer, which they are.

Strange then that they hired the guy and his mod gets turned into Open Source fodder, and not even fully integrated into the game in the same fashion. So what, they see something they like, buy the person off and then make sure they stop working on it? Seems contradictory to me.

42 minutes ago, Probitas said:

Strange then that they hired the guy and his mod gets turned into Open Source fodder, and not even fully integrated into the game in the same fashion. So what, they see something they like, buy the person off and then make sure they stop working on it? Seems contradictory to me.

He's not wrong. They are paid to help the development of the mod (and cut out of the program if not showing progress) - not for continuity. A long ago the mod author state that the mod was finished (so old and new bugs was not going to be fixed) and made it open source so anyone could use the code (so the community could fix or continue his work). Nobody is bound for life to update/work in modifications.

Big problem is nobody can "fix" this right now because the devkit is not updated yet (i not even know if a fix will be needed because the patch notes for this change are weird - the feature was put in the game full of bugs). There was never a need for a indicator for troughs anyway - and the damn ring is almost as thicc as the range...

1 hour ago, Probitas said:

Yes, that's pretty much it. the guy who made the center map, and the guy who made s+ were both hired on at wildcard, i think the s+ guy is working on atlas at grapeshot now. correct me if i am wrong.

6 minutes ago, Kwikwilyaqa said:

He's not wrong. They are paid to help the development of the mod (and cut out of the program if not showing progress) - not for continuity. A long ago the mod author state that the mod was finished (so old and new bugs was not going to be fixed) and made it open source so anyone could use the code (so the community could fix or continue his work). Nobody is bound for life to update/work in modifications.

Big problem is nobody can "fix" this right now because the devkit is not updated yet (i not even know if a fix will be needed because the patch notes for this change are weird - the feature was put in the game full of bugs). There was never a need for a indicator for troughs anyway - and the damn ring is almost as thicc as the range...

thisss man i would love the devkit to come out :(

I dunno, since I'm using mods, I just used a mod as a workaround. I use creative mode so if you don't, this workaround would be pointless for you:  put down a bunch of vanilla tek troughs, use the modded endless trough.  Put it down, refill all tek troughs with it, when done, pick up the endless trough or destroy it.  It's up to everyone how much they want to mod and to what extent, but if something breaks modded content that will no longer be updated, my solution is to use mods heavily to fix it.  It's better than grinding again or putting up with the blinding circles.  I do agree that the circles are annoying and I'd like them gone.  So I'm on board with the removal of them.  I just thought I'd share a solution some might want to use in the meantime, so their cool builds don't look all crappy.

Just noticed something else related to this annoying issue - turn off the HUD and that stupid ring is still there. (At least for me in Single Player mode) How the heck is this abomination coded into the game in such a way as to override turning off the visual interface? It's worse than I thought, they broke the interface with this console kissing farce.

Also noted the new patch notes make no mention of fixing this, at least I found none.

So I think everyone can agree that: 

1.) This is a problem, both between the community who love playing this game, and the moderators struggling in this forum to justify the implementation of a feature request from us, the players of said game.

2.) S+ should definitely have consideration in any and all changes made to the game because like many have said already, most of us use the mod. Mostly because it's better than what WC could deliver as far as building mechanics are concerned. It is superior to vanilla in almost every way.

3.) I'm actually pretty miffed about this myself, having just come back to Ark after 2 years of not playing. The solution implemented for showing the vanilla feed range by WC is:

A.) Definitely a poor UI/UX choice mainly in that it essentially engrosses everything it touches, not just that it won't go away for modded servers. It's visually overpowering even in it's vanilla toggle state. S+ definitely shows feed range in a far less invasive way than the brighter than the sun green circle does. It is far to bright and too high. A thin green/red/blue line would look way better. And it certainly should be in an off state unless otherwise dictated by the player through a wheel menu, period, no questions asked, even if we use mods.

B.) Unfriendly to the vast community that relies on S+ (including myself) to create a better playing experience for themselves and those they play the game with.

C.) Probably not even what console players wanted. I mean that is a really green, really terrible, hard to do anything around circle when it's toggled. It sucks.

4.) I would encourage WC to release their devkit ASAP so the community can collaborate to fix S+ because this bug is not okay. 90% of us on non-official servers, that many of us pay for (myself included), are dealing with this and it's ruining our experience playing the game.

5.) And finally, to the moderators, there isn't much you can say to justify WC's implementation of this. They could've given us a hook or something for our config file to turn it off, but they didn't. Or really a number of options. Point is, they had literally 0 consideration for anyone playing on an unofficial server with mods.

Okay, I said my peace. Good luck to everyone else struggling with the green circle of doom. Live long and prosper and such.

• Volunteer Moderator

Thought i'd just mention here that the green circle issue on modded troughs does not require a dev kit update and can be fixed by Modders.

The Modder behind SuperStructures (SS) which is the mod that took everything from S+ to continue development on it has resolved the green ring issue.

Our servers changed over from S+ to SS a few weeks ago, which is possible without losing any old S+ structures. Highly recommended if people want S+ development without losing anything.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1999447172

Archived