What are your thoughts on Ark Genesis?

QuietDubstep

3 hours ago, QuietDubstep said:

What are your thoughts on Ark Genesis?

It's ok. I always like new terrain to explore, but I'm not a fan of the map set up with zones and teleportation. 

The whole hex thing is not my taste. I always liked having to go on expeditions to gather specific resource needed for certain things. This is a cop out in my eyes. 

New Dino's are great.

It hasn't given me enough to abandon my main base on another map though.

I feel like there were alot of good ideas that fell just short of the mark.

i'll start with the bog, blood stalkers shouldn't be able able to yank you off other blood stalkers, kaprosuchus spawn weight should be turned down. insect spawn rate should be turned down.  there should be a weather event where the fog clears but it gets really hot and insect swarms should only appear then as bad as they do, otherwise make them a rare occurence.

ocean biome, they should either relable it's difficulty or up the difficulty in the ocean.  I like the adjustments they made to swimming but i think it was a bit too much. I have yet to even worry about oxygen in that biome.  for such an easy biome there are alot of rare things accessible there.

arctic, this is where i actually started and it's mostly nice.  my major complaint is the lack of accessible water and the god forsaken east side of the map, the troubles in the snowstorm are not really overcomeable through skill and progression as it's just plain old sensory deprivation.  it makes the map alot smaller because nobody in their right mind goes in there for anything.

volcano, I feel like there should be a more reliable warning system for the volcano eruptions.  i've not died to them yet but i've seen a number of tribe mates do so. they said sometimes there is a warning but alot of the times not.  also the spawns of magmasaurs everywhere makes it a bit annoying. overall the biome is not terrible

the lunar biome isn't bad persay it just really shows off the bad dinosaur physics in the game that are normally not as prevalent, like the way dinosaurs bounce oddly off of terrain like solid bouncey balls. i've just used a procoptodon to kick everything off of the islands and it's worked fine.

overall it's not been TERRIBLE but i've also yet to tame any of the new creatures due to various bugs involved or the difficulty involved in it, the latter point is not a negative.

I think i could have enjoyed it more if i was not 104 levels into weight with no way to change it even with admin commands.  fix the mindwipes.

the hex thing was a good idea for like.. advanced rewards and stuff like blueprints, etc, but selling basic resources... i can't say i like but i can't say i dislike it enough to mod it out. it's just kinda there and it's kinda handy sometimes but i understand there are people who rely on it heavily which seems against the mood of the game.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2020 at 4:59 PM, Kaprosuchus said:

I feel like there were alot of good ideas that fell just short of the mark.

i'll start with the bog, blood stalkers shouldn't be able able to yank you off other blood stalkers, kaprosuchus spawn weight should be turned down. insect spawn rate should be turned down.  there should be a weather event where the fog clears but it gets really hot and insect swarms should only appear then as bad as they do, otherwise make them a rare occurence.

ocean biome, they should either relable it's difficulty or up the difficulty in the ocean.  I like the adjustments they made to swimming but i think it was a bit too much. I have yet to even worry about oxygen in that biome.  for such an easy biome there are alot of rare things accessible there.

arctic, this is where i actually started and it's mostly nice.  my major complaint is the lack of accessible water and the god forsaken east side of the map, the troubles in the snowstorm are not really overcomeable through skill and progression as it's just plain old sensory deprivation.  it makes the map alot smaller because nobody in their right mind goes in there for anything.

volcano, I feel like there should be a more reliable warning system for the volcano eruptions.  i've not died to them yet but i've seen a number of tribe mates do so. they said sometimes there is a warning but alot of the times not.  also the spawns of magmasaurs everywhere makes it a bit annoying. overall the biome is not terrible

the lunar biome isn't bad persay it just really shows off the bad dinosaur physics in the game that are normally not as prevalent, like the way dinosaurs bounce oddly off of terrain like solid bouncey balls. i've just used a procoptodon to kick everything off of the islands and it's worked fine.

overall it's not been TERRIBLE but i've also yet to tame any of the new creatures due to various bugs involved or the difficulty involved in it, the latter point is not a negative.

I think i could have enjoyed it more if i was not 104 levels into weight with no way to change it even with admin commands.  fix the mindwipes.

the hex thing was a good idea for like.. advanced rewards and stuff like blueprints, etc, but selling basic resources... i can't say i like but i can't say i dislike it enough to mod it out. it's just kinda there and it's kinda handy sometimes but i understand there are people who rely on it heavily which seems against the mood of the game.

Okay then thanks, I guess?

My biggest gripe with the dlc, is that it feels like they've mashed a bunch of successful things people have said they enjoy together and voila - Genesis.

The previous Dlc had believable ecosystems, that's something that really sold them for me. I'm not getting the "Ark" vibe from Genesis.

I enjoyed missions for a while, but once you've done one of that "type" of mission, it becomes same poop, different biome for all the others and gets stale.

That's ignoring the constant crashing, bugs and flood of Chinese.

The volcano looked cool?

Archived