Cakewalk Moeder: scaling broken?

N601J

Cakewalk Moeder: scaling broken?

I wrote in this post about how ridiculously hard the alpha brutes are: https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/513680-failed-alpha-hunt-mission-scaling-broken/
In this post, I would like to describe how absurdly easy the Moeder fights are. I don't actually know what a cakewalk is, but if it means blowing away all the cakes within seconds of starting the walk, then Moeder is a cakewalk.

This is on a private unoffical server with boosted breeding/taming/gathering rates but the same rates as official in all other respects. There are two of us playing on this server.    We love Ark and are enjoying Genesis, so this is not a rant; this is constructive criticism with hopefully enough background to put it in context.

When we set out to do this fight, we understood that Moeder was a major boss (maybe this is wrong?). We decided to do the fight with mosas, the biggest and toughest of the sea creatures available. We tamed five 150s and bred our army from them. We decided to start with 10 mosas because they are a pain in the ass to move as a group. After some work, we had a group of 10 bred and imprinted mosas of roughly level 270 with healths ranging from 40k-45k and melee damage ranging from 630%-700%. Two of them got platform saddles with about 100 armor that we'd gotten from missions. The rest got saddles from eco's Primordial Saddles mod with 352 armor (love that mod). We had read about the eel minions, which was the reason for the platform saddles. On those we placed a tek gen and 4 tek turrets each. Mosas have poor maneuverability, so we thought the turrets would help with the little eels.

We rode the mosas with the platform saddles so that the rider bonus would make up for the lesser armor and also so that we could control the positioning of the turrets. We each had 4 of the other mosas following us. We eventually got everybody to the mission start and began our gamma attempt.

Which was over in seconds. I barely had time to even see Moeder. We put the mosas on aggressive on entry and each piloted our turret mosas towards eels. And then it was over.
Thinking that this was just because it was the gamma attempt, we immediately ran beta. Same thing. Then alpha. On this fight, I had time to get to two eels before it was over. However, the alpha fight was still over in less than a minute.

This is great, I guess, for farming the mission for loot. However, it was a poor challenge and not fun at all. We expected a glorious battle where we'd see our mosas struggling to defeat the master of the ocean, and instead we barely even saw her. We expected to fail on this attempt and learn something useful for future attempts.

I think this is further evidence of major problems with difficulty scaling in the new missions and hope that this report will help with fixing them.

I believe you are employing many tactics that are not possible on official servers, such as 300+ armor saddles, Turrets on platforms, and generally speaking breeding such a large Mosa army so early (while possible) is not such an easy feat under normal settings.  Of course you beat it easily all other issues aside, even if the boss is working as intended you would still smack it with that kind of firepower.  If you don't want things to be easy don't make them so easy for yourself.

Archived