Advice on Playing on my First Private Server

Myrm

Advice on Playing on my First Private Server

Hi

I am after a bit of advice, please, on setting up my own server via Nitrado on PS4.

I have watched videos on YT on how to rent and create my own server, so I am okay there. I just have some general server related gameplay questions.

I have played Ark for a couple of years now, but always in local/solo mode, but now I want to have a go at server playing.  I am looking at using Nitrado as I believe I can just pay for one month of server time, without be obligated to continue a new month, enabling me to effectively have a trial with it.

So, my questions are:

1.     Do tamed dinosaurs not starve in local/solo mode? (I have noticed my tames on solo never starve, even if they have no food in their inventory).

2.     Will my tame dino’s hunger meter go down on my server game even if I am not playing?

3.     Does the game continue to run on the server even if I am not playing myself?  Could I or my dinos be attacked and killed when I am not playing?

4.     Will the day and night cycle still progress when I or nobody else is not playing?  

5.     If I stop the server via the Nitrado settings panel, will them game stop for anybody else playing on it?  Will it wipe progress/saves, or will it pick up from where it left when I restart the server?

6.     When WC have their 2x weekends will that effect my server, or is that just their own servers?

7.     I notice that the lowest number of slots I can choose with the Nitrado package is 10.  However, am I right in thinking that I can actually restrict anybody from joining my server if I wished to?

Thanks for any advice.  I know the questions may seem a bit silly or “noob”, but I have never played using a rented server before.

1. Yes they do starve however as the game isn't running while you are offline it is a lot harder to kill dinos through neglect.

2.Yes all stats will be draining even if you are offline as a server is persistent and time passes even with lack of players

3. Yes the game will keep on keeping on even with no players which means unless you have orp wild dinos could attack.

4. Yes as above everything goes on the game becomes a real world on a server and doesn't need players for stuff to occur.

5.If you stop the server it wont appear on the join lists and no one can play it til you turn it back on, time will not pass and when you turn it on it will start from its last save spot. Side note here if you plan on stopping it while not playing then just stick to local as its free vs paying nitrado, the only point to a server is having a constant world.

6. No WC events only effect officials.

7.10 is indeed the smallest server you can host but yes at any point you can ban a player from  it  or even make it password protected so the only people who can play are ones you allow.

Look running a server in ark is great, as long as you can play once every 2 weeks then you have nothing to worry bout in the way of dinos starving to death. Regardless of if you plan on doing PvP or PvE I personally recommend you leave your server without a password and on so it is open to the public 9/10 times you will have a good time with others online and hey if you dont you can always just ban them. 

@FreelancerKnux

Thanks you so much for taking the time to read and respond to my questions.  Your answers were extremely helpful, and just what I was looking for.

With the question about official events, I have discovered that there is a setting on my Nitrado control panel that allows my server to automatically follow the official events values.  However, unfortunately, this option is not currently working, at least on my server (game played on PS4), which is a great shame, but not the end of the world.  When I play on solo/local I manually set the event values to reflect the official event, so I will just have to do the same on my server until WC fix it (if they ever do).

Thanks again for your response, I really do appreciate it. ?

12 hours ago, Myrm said:

@FreelancerKnux

Thanks you so much for taking the time to read and respond to my questions.  Your answers were extremely helpful, and just what I was looking for.

With the question about official events, I have discovered that there is a setting on my Nitrado control panel that allows my server to automatically follow the official events values.  However, unfortunately, this option is not currently working, at least on my server (game played on PS4), which is a great shame, but not the end of the world.  When I play on solo/local I manually set the event values to reflect the official event, so I will just have to do the same on my server until WC fix it (if they ever do).

Thanks again for your response, I really do appreciate it. ?

No worries im glad to help.

Quick thing on the events yep you are right the option to set events is there but it only effects events like easter and xmas (the colours and gifts not rates) not the weekend evo events. On that note though the best part of running a server is you can set the rates to something you are more comfortable with.

Personally I play on an unofficial with 5x tame and 3x Gather because well I work alot and want my playtime in game to be accomplishing things.

Either way have fun

Just now, FreelancerKnux said:

Quick thing on the events yep you are right the option to set events is there but it only effects events like easter and xmas (the colours and gifts not rates) not the weekend evo events...

Ah! Now that makes more sense. In fact, this is the most helpful reply I’ve had regarding this issue. 

One very small thing I have noticed playing on a private server: a couple of times I have been chopping up dead dinos, and nothing seems to be harvested. I keep hitting them and although I hear the noise of chopping, the body seems unaffected. However, a change of my position and I can successfully chop and harvest. I’m assuming that’s because the game is running off my server, rather than on my PS as it does with solo/local. Perhaps the server based game is a bit more fussy. I have an average ping of 17, so I’m not complaining. The game runs smoothly. 

Another aspect of private server play I enjoy is the fact that when I log out, I know my dinos and guy are still vulnerable. When I played on solo, the world would effectively freeze when I log off. But having the world still alive, as it were, when I log out is more exciting. Will my house, dino or other structures still be in one peace when I log in again? Adds a bit more adventure to the game. As I logged out tonight I put my guy on his raft offshore in the hope he won’t be attacked whilst sleeping. 

I’ll probably have my harvesting, taming and XP manually set to reflect the weekend events, and then revert them back to 1x outside of event times. That’s what I do on local. 

Thanks again for your awesome help. It really is appreciated. 

9 hours ago, LEDminer said:

Just a heads up, if there are no other players in the area, then everything will go into stasis. When in stasis, all creatures are effectively frozen and will not do anything. Their stats however, such as food, will drain as normal. Since creatures will not move or attack, your structures are fine.

Unless of course, you have people on your server with PvP enabled, then you'll have to worry.

Ah, that I was not aware of.  I have a password on my server and nobody, other than me of course, has it, so I am the only person on that server.  I may remove the password and allow others on it.  It's only a ten-slot server, at least for the moment as it is my first ever server and I purchased it for a month to try it out, as it were.  I may increase the number of slots later.  It's a PvE server, which generally follows the current official Evolution Events, including the weekend 2x. events.  Outside of those events, the harvesting, taming, XP, et cetera, values are default.  I allow no downloads of characters or dinos either, as I want anybody on my server to start afresh like everybody else did, myself included, so that a new player doesn't have an immediate advantage over others. 

My only concern about opening my server up is that if I go to play on it myself and all ten slots are taken up, then I guess I can't get into my own server, unless there's a way I can reserve a slot for me.  Otherwise it would mean my having to wait for a slot to play on my own server, or I selfishly boot one player from the server so I can play.

Oh, the stress of these life-changing situations. Far worse than any panic currently ongoing throughout the world. ?

Archived