Why is ARK taking up 280 gigs of drive space?

Moonie1

Why is ARK taking up 280 gigs of drive space?

With the coronavirus forcing companies to have their employees stay home, I began looking at how much drive space ARK is taking up since I will be using my game computer to work from. I have a 500 GB SSD that I have WIndows and Ark on. Nothing else is on it. Everything else is on a 3 TB HDD. Ark is taking up around 280 GB of space on the SSD. Only 4 GB is for Mods. The rest is for the official maps. Most of the space is taken up by two folders in the C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\ARK\ShooterGame folder. The Content folder is 149 GB and the SeekFreeContent is 128 GB.

Yet when I look at the requirements the numbers dont add up. Here is what the System Requirements are for each of the maps according to their store pages on Steam:
Base Game: 60 GB
Scorched Earth: 10000 MB (10 GB)
The Center: 3000 MB (3 GB)
Ragnarok: 3000 MB (3 GB)
Aberration: 20 GB
Extinction: 20 GB
Valguero: 20 GB
Genesis: 40 GB

Thats 196 GB.

Where is the other 84 GB at? Thats a big amount to be off by according to the system requirements.

I use a tool called "Space Monger" It will give you a visual representation of every file and its size on your drive. I find it extremely useful when troubleshooting storage issues. 

Be cautious when downloading apps like this online though There are many copies in which nefarious ne'erdowellers have hidden element corrupted programs inside.

I recommend scanning the file before opening.

http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/LFWV/SpaceMonger.html

Archived