Help with PC Server Start Up

Calico45

So a few friends were finally convinced to join Ark around Genesis and I have been trying to do an Island run with them on a server I hosted to get them through the tutorial stage before ramping up to other maps. I would love to host a dedicated server, but I repurposed an old desktop just to do the hosting and its limit seems to be nondedicated server. Fine.

The problem is, somehow, she cannot find my nondedicated server. It doesn't show up. We were in the same room. I checked by friends, nondedicated, and every other category in case there was a mistake. Nothing was right. What is the recommendation to do this properly?

Also, though I have heard good things about renting servers, for people that just got the game heavily discounted and aren't sure if they like it, it is a little too much to ask.

4 hours ago, Calico45 said:

So a few friends were finally convinced to join Ark around Genesis and I have been trying to do an Island run with them on a server I hosted to get them through the tutorial stage before ramping up to other maps. I would love to host a dedicated server, but I repurposed an old desktop just to do the hosting and its limit seems to be nondedicated server. Fine.

That doesn't make sense, for the following reasons.

* If you're running a dedicated server on a computer, then the only thing that computer has to do is run the server.

* If you're running a non-dedicated server on a computer, then that computer has to run both the server and your client, which is much more work than just running a dedicated server.

Why is it that you think that this old desktop is 'limited' to running a non-dedicated server?

26 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

That doesn't make sense, for the following reasons.

* If you're running a dedicated server on a computer, then the only thing that computer has to do is run the server.

* If you're running a non-dedicated server on a computer, then that computer has to run both the server and your client, which is much more work than just running a dedicated server.

Why is it that you think that this old desktop is 'limited' to running a non-dedicated server?

Because it crashes whenever I run dedicated and doesn't whenever I run nondedicated.

21 minutes ago, Rio4201 said:

... yet I don't see a single thing mentioned about what he's asking.. 

So, you've set it up, it's running, but your friend cannot see it? 

First thing that comes to mind is making sure the ports are open, firewalls have exceptions, etc.. Is this on a LAN? 

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Honestly, I don't know all the details about my friends' laptops if their systems are a problem.

2 minutes ago, Rio4201 said:

How long are you waiting for it to actually boot up? A server on bare minimum spec hardware can take quite a long time to come up, it'll start to boot, and go right back to desktop and look like it's doing nothing, then suddenly out of nowhere you see the server is up and running.

Honestly, I would wait all day, but it crashes into an error textbox pretty quickly. It will not even load.

9 minutes ago, Rio4201 said:

Have you tried using the Ark Server Manager?  I'd download that and set it up and give that a shot, there's another one as well but I can't remember the name of it.  Worse case, I've had better luck using a linux based server setup than Windows based, but that's up to you.  

I'll give the manager a shot. Thank you for the suggestion.

3 hours ago, Rio4201 said:

... yet I don't see a single thing mentioned about what he's asking..

There's this little thing called "troubleshooting", maybe you've heard of it. It's a process in which you follow a logical series of steps in order to try to diagnose a problem. And when there is information that doesn't make sense for the troubleshooting process you begin by resolving anything that doesn't make sense before proceeding to the next step.

The biggest problems in troubleshooting are misunderstandings and misinformation, the first step should always be to clear up anything that doesn't make sense.

5 hours ago, Calico45 said:

Because it crashes whenever I run dedicated and doesn't whenever I run nondedicated.

This doesn't make any sense. The dedicated server requires less from your system than non-dedicated would. It's not going to touch the GPU at all.

Logs would be helpful. And no offense, but that CPU is extremely dated. A 3rd gen Intel can run circles around it. RAM speeds are something like 1200 or 1333 on that system?
Recommended would be a 5th gen Intel, and you're pretty far below that. In fact, they specifically state to avoid old AMD processors due the the poor single-core performance.

Might take a look at this thread...

https://support.survivetheark.com/hc/en-us/articles/360008242814-Troubleshooting-and-Common-Solutions-

15 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

This doesn't make any sense. The dedicated server requires less from your system than non-dedicated would. It's not going to touch the GPU at all.

Logs would be helpful. And no offense, but that CPU is extremely dated. A 3rd gen Intel can run circles around it. RAM speeds are something like 1200 or 1333 on that system?
Recommended would be a 5th gen Intel, and you're pretty far below that. In fact, they specifically state to avoid old AMD processors due the the poor single-core performance.

Might take a look at this thread...

https://support.survivetheark.com/hc/en-us/articles/360008242814-Troubleshooting-and-Common-Solutions-

No offense taken. Like I said, I repurposed an old thing I had around the house rather than using my main thing. I don't really plan to upgrade the computer myself, but I am in the process of replacing my main computer so this is what I have for now.

Archived