Ocean platforms worthless

Preditorio

28 minutes ago, TorakWolf said:

I don't think an item needs to add something new to be great. In fact, no one cared about Ocean Platforms until Genesis came out, there was almost 0 hype. Then it came, and guess what, the Ocean Biome is the favorite of many, with platforms being the solution for the limited amount of land it got. Now they are everywhere.

I mean, I and a tribemate were both disappointed when we realized that you could not build a pen under it. But guess what? We just had to build one somewhere else and slap a Teleport. Also, like I said, Tek Turrets make raising small to medium aquatic creatures without enclosing them a possibility.

Can't speak for others but have been hoping for an ocean platform since they announced tek vacuum chambers, I was very hyped with reveal.

Sure things don't have to be great, they can be just ok. Well duh, ofc they are the solution to limited amount of land, there is nothing else.
They could be great with a very slight tweak, just a very slight one and I'm sure a lot of people would be overjoyed and love them.

Here I thought platforms were the greatest thing since sliced bread in your mind. Well guess what, not everyone is going to be able to grab a spot for a pen and slap a teleporter there.

Also, tek should not be the solution to a structure you learn at level 25.

4 minutes ago, Bonecollecter said:

Platforms are a bit buggy and hard to wrap your head around at first. I would avoid building one in super deep water, try building i  an area where you can build up to the platform from the ocean floor. We have a platform with a full water pen underneath.

Also when u place the platform to high (above deep water), u can't place electical cables. I was lucky i had one section of my platform above less deep water, so forced to put my gen there. But it worked so no problems, just good to know.

Love the Ocean platforms and really disagree with the negativity regarding them being useless or wasted. Being able to place a platform is 10x easier then having to pillar/foundation up and looks much cleaner and better.

Though I certainly have to admit that they could've at least give us a ceiling or two on the edges, and at least let us go 4-5 walls down to build underwater.

• 2 weeks later...

It is easy enough to build a pen under them. The under structure should be built prior to placing the platform though. I did mine as a 16x16 set of foundations with Pillars on top to the top of the water. After, place the platform over that. This is the tough part as you have to get it right the first time when placing.

On 3/18/2020 at 7:03 PM, kevbal98 said:

Yeah thats not true. It is true they don't snap but false about the gap. 3rd person and you can clip them inside for a seamless merger between the two and if you arnt shaky you can line the, up perfectly. You can take up all 4 platforms this way. 

Does wild dinos like little fishes (Coelacanth) block for building the second platform?

(REPOST FROM ANOTHER THREAD ON OCEAN PLATFORMS)

I build a nice platform base after playing with one for awhile to see what i could / couldn't do far as building structure pieces, and when it came to placing electrical cables attached to my geny, i couldn't, so i followed another thread where they said to place the geny on the platform itself, which did allow me to attach one cable to it, but couldn't attach anything else to that cable:
B55FFCE99CC9B59081BFE688BF644799639B2F3C

So i destroyed the cable and attempted to attach the 4way to the geny, but, now it wouldn't let me attach a cable to the geny after destroying the first one:

51EF7FFCFE2888DCFA7670FE4D3EAF10F6DC7D35

so anything requiring power, like the chemistry station, or fridges, I can't power on the platform due to this problem with the platforms,  making it just a large umoveable boat, as all the things i could build on it, I can build on a normal boat.

On my genesis server its abit impossible to build in the shallows,  all the shallow spots are pillared and you can't place any where there aren't any platforms already,   my test build was on the island where the water was aprox as deep as the buildable areas that I found on genesis.   Its poor foresight on wildcards part with these platforms, they've basically made them pointless,  large unmovable boats.   Have a feeling if I attempt to put a water tap on that platform im going to have the same problem.  

My tribemate wanted me to build something similar to the test build at the island for a taming pen,  so I build a ocean platform and lined it up with some celings that are overhanging the ocean floor there, and have built a area below the platform that's the same exact size so I can 'mimic' having it outsite the base, but a normal ground up build sense its proving to be useless elsewise. however when i was snapping ceilings for the area below on the ground, the entire thing I was connecting together became 'part of the platform, including the walk way, and foundations attached to the shore - glad it wasn't attached to the main structure.  The foundations on the shore I can't even put anything on now, as they say 'too far from platform',  now im thinking if i destroy that platform, all those pieces i put down are going to go with it.

moving where I put the first one is kinda out of the question,  there's 400 walls & floors used on the build to see what I could do with it.  a lot of materials that are going to go to waste now, I figured at least it was near a cave so it could be used as a dive point for the cave at the least, so its just sitting there, with minimal crafting / food setup inside... probably will plop down some preserving bins (hopefully They will work) so we can at least store food there when were going for the cave.

I was able to drop the center area down 3 walls deep, and put a floor across the bottom of it using a stairway as a snap point to the lowest walls bottom, so at the least, perhaps they could be built into a taming pen.  but even that is a issue with how wildcard setup these patforms, as 2 sides can't have ceilings snapped strait down them, while the other two sides can, so you have to go in at least one ceiling over the hole to put walls all the way around on the inside.  The platforms collision stops you else wise.  

Another flaw with the platform is you can't snap anything out from the out ledge, not even a ladder so you can climb up from the outside if you wanted to seal off the inside,  I haven't tried a rope ladder yet, as I have yet to return to scorched earth to 'relearn' my engrams from there sense their engram wipe to fix the bug they produced with the mindwipe tonic.  

The platform has bugs, its nice for building but, could use the ability to build down at least 5-6 walls, so you could snap a dino gate on the inside to allow some dinos to be able to swim inside at least,  one could put a trap door on the bottom I suppose allowing manta, eel, dolphin, angler and other smaller water mounts to swim in.  It would be even better if 12 deep was as far down as you could go, so you could do a behemoth gate.  I doubt they will do either though.

While the ocean platform is a new interesting idea, in its current state, its really nothing better then a glorified large stationary boat.

thats my take on the ocean platform after working with it for over 36 hours.

So I got a two level greenhouse that has running water.  Looks terrible but works.  Electrical might work the same way.  Try putting one cable on your generator.  Then go place a cable where you want an outlet to be. Then try connecting the two with flexible cables.  Then you should be able to place outlet on the cable.  That's at least how my pipes worked.

3 hours ago, caleb68 said:

while that may be a workaround that may work, it would look aweful sloppy in the structure itself, wildcard needs to fix this....

here's what I built so you can get a idea of why I say it would look sloppy:

90E7ECB229DFD1EFBBE35BE6AFBB0BC67C8AA463

I built the same base,. But I'm using Tek generator to power it.  Yeah it won't look nice using a lot of flexible cables.  But wildcard probably won't fix this issue.  Cliff platforms also have this issue in certain areas. 

29 minutes ago, OutlawFirebird said:

I built the same base,. But I'm using Tek generator to power it.  Yeah it won't look nice using a lot of flexible cables.  But wildcard probably won't fix this issue.  Cliff platforms also have this issue in certain areas. 

doubt its the same one, probably looks simular and some parts are the same but, I watched a youtube video of someone buildnig it on unofficial.  and made changes where approprate, the front for instance is a gateway, so a boat can be parked there, dino's offloaded.  the inside, and top are also very different, as well as the back section you can't actually see too much of.  it was a nice design though even though his structure couldn't be built on official... Aarron something was his youtube name, can't recall off the top of my head.

6 minutes ago, caleb68 said:

doubt its the same one, probably looks simular and some parts are the same but, I watched a youtube video of someone buildnig it on unofficial.  and made changes where approprate, the front for instance is a gateway, so a boat can be parked there, dino's offloaded.  the inside, and top are also very different, as well as the back section you can't actually see too much of.  it was a nice design though even though his structure couldn't be built on official... Aarron something was his youtube name, can't recall off the top of my head.

I watched the same video,. And modified some of it, I got turrets under the middle section to guard water Dino's. With some other modified parts

4 minutes ago, OutlawFirebird said:

I watched the same video,. And modified some of it, I got turrets under the middle section to guard water Dino's. With some other modified parts

always gotta make modifications ;).  I was thinking about putting plant species up on the corners but with the electric line problems and water line problems it just complicates things.

• 2 weeks later...

All this talk is great and all but the fact remains they are pointless which really is a shame!! I’ve been dying to build on one of these but for anything other than PVE they’re pointless! If I come across a base like this in PVP all it takes is a wooden/metal raft with a small build on it to shelter me from turrets and I can use c4 to blow everything to pieces because the boat building is broke! I can literally have my walls on my raft go through any of yours on your base and I just place c4 down drift back a safe distance and blow... alternatively I could have a door and just enter your base bypassing all your turrets because structures pass through structures! I cannot come up with a way to defend against such things so if anyone can let me know if I’m missing something that would be really great. 

D7A6D3909534F08C300DB38F242CC816DBF2F31E

Carno island was totally covered in pillars by a tribe, and my mate wanted a taming pen to work with there, so i built this for him, it has a argy taming pen on top for taming them, and a larger pen at the bottom with a 1 wall spacing from the argy pen, so you could knock out a argy first, then pull any of the land dwellers into the lower pen.   the house has a area for crafting and making food, storage for dinos while your taming, a feeding trough that covers the full buliding area.  Stuck a transmitter and a cryofridge in the building for him as well.  each side of the platform i made spots to park boats, for offloading/on loading of things. and sense the inside is completely covered, i stuck rope ladders on the outside at the boat parking spots, luckly you can stick the portable ones and non on the outside edge of the platform, they clip into the side of it, but you can climb up them without a issue.

286A3FD46E43349268F2A9EBA8324A90E719DC51

its also fully powered and lit so he doesn't have to worry about seeing things at night.  lining up the little front spot on the island for the dino's to get on there was abit complex but it worked out alright.  so with the pillaring that goes on, ocean platforms work good for situations like that, allowing you to build something easier then you would normally be able to, so there is that plus to them.

sadly however both the wood one and the metal one can not be placed in most rivers on the maps as they collide with the land.

On 3/29/2020 at 12:28 PM, solemnviper said:

i have electrical cables run all around the entire platform so not sure what you're talking about with that one

The issue is if you're over deeper water where the platform is above the build height limit, it wont let you snap together dedicated storage, or electrical wires or pipes once they are connected to a generator. It says "too high above ground". Also, if you place a gate onto the celings, it wont let you place the door unless the gate is placed directly on the platform itself.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2067961995

31F213A218F8E65C38BF0C0A4D8B158171DF71A8

They are useless as is, unless your character is a very high level and you've already gathered high end tames.

"But it's flat and I can build way out in open water and not get raided"

You still need to get back and forth from where your gathering materials, so a motorboat,( level 57) with a bed on it, when my game crashes and I'm driving by the time I log back in I've usually slipped off and died.

Making a base on water without being able to make a decent water pen is like having a land base where dino's can't stand on foundations/ceiling tiles or pass through gates. It's short sighted.

How to fix it:

~Height and depth limits, just as motorboats can't have a ceiling more than 7 or 8 off the deck, limit ceiling tile placement to 12 above and 12 below, this allows the placement of behemoth gates and make it regardless of ocean depth.

~Allow them to be snapped together, you're allowed to have 4 in an area anyway. At least us OCD types can have everything nice and neat,

~Allow 2 ceiling tiles out, as with traditional foundations, then we can make a dock to pull up to with a raft/boat.

~If you build it as part of a land base, stop it from interfering with placement of things that are on the land based part,

~Have 4 inventory slots where you can put a a motor boat (unrecoverable). Each boat slotted 20% raft speed.

As someone mentioned earlier, you can run 3 ramps down and get 2 walls high of water level. You'll will require a behemoth hatch frame to get large critters in and out.  It takes me 1 or 2 attempt to get the basilosaurus out due to shallowness. navigating inside the enclosure is a bigger headache with nothing else in there, wait until you have a few tames to get around.

2045826668_oceanpen.thumb.jpg.1d012c9b35d32e1853d92af41122e6c5.jpg

Archived