Ocean platforms worthless

Preditorio

Ocean platforms worthless

Who else thinks the ocean platforms are worthless.  They could be really great if you could build down far enough to at least put a behemoth gateway, so you could make a decent base and underwater dino pen. Most places in the ocean biome are too deep to really make an water dino pen that's not in a mission zone and in an area to make an above water base. So please let's see this change and make something great out of this good idea of a new platform. 

1 hour ago, gojinki said:

Can't build down or away from the platform naturally. The ones you've seen have used some fancy building tricks.
The platforms are cool to build a base on but that's it, just a base without any water dinos since you can't build a pen for them.

Wasn't anything fancy to be honest, they built floors across the large hole then put ramps down into the water from those floors.

so if you build floors out over the hole, you can't attach walls below to extend below? I'm just trying to understand.  Or is it that if you build under x segments below there is no foundation support so you can't close the floor off?

2 hours ago, caleb68 said:

Wasn't anything fancy to be honest, they built floors across the large hole then put ramps down into the water from those floors.

so if you build floors out over the hole, you can't attach walls below to extend below? I'm just trying to understand.  Or is it that if you build under x segments below there is no foundation support so you can't close the floor off?

Oh my bad, thought you meant ramps going out, away from the platform.

Correct, if you fill the hole and try to build ceilings down you'll get a "structure too far away from platform" message and it won't allow you to place it.
The platform is basically 1 wall high (downward) from the  snap points around the hole so either 1 foundation or 1 ceiling + 1 wall is all you can build.

Correct, if you fill the hole and try to build ceilings down you'll get a "structure too far away from platform" message and it won't allow you to place it.
The platform is basically 1 wall high (downward) from the  snap points around the hole so either 1 foundation or 1 ceiling + 1 wall is all you can build.

well that is pretty lame... you'd think that they'd allow you to build down far enough to actually build a pen that way (staying within the confines of the platform) course all build limits on ark are controlled by spheres... so if they used that with the platform they wouldn't of been able to restrict the out edge building.   Don't know why they avoid using a cubic build limit for things like these, perhaps they themselves don't have some of the original coding for the game..

20 hours ago, gojinki said:

You can build down a couple walls, im breeding basilos in our platform.

I snapped the ceilings to the bottom of stairs, because that way you can go one lower than when you would use walls.

Ocean platforms don't snap together either.   There is always going to be a gap between them.   Most times you can walk over it, but occasionally you get stuck or fall through the gap.

They should allow you to go one ceiling tile PAST the outside of the platform... you could cover the gap that way.

I agree you should be able to go down at least 14 tiles below the bottom of the platform to allow a behemoth gate and floor for water pen.

On 3/16/2020 at 5:11 PM, Cyclops said:

Ocean platforms don't snap together either.   There is always going to be a gap between them.   Most times you can walk over it, but occasionally you get stuck or fall through the gap.

They should allow you to go one ceiling tile PAST the outside of the platform... you could cover the gap that way.

I agree you should be able to go down at least 14 tiles below the bottom of the platform to allow a behemoth gate and floor for water pen.

Yeah thats not true. It is true they don't snap but false about the gap. 3rd person and you can clip them inside for a seamless merger between the two and if you arnt shaky you can line the, up perfectly. You can take up all 4 platforms this way. 

7 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

We built up from the ground after placing the platform.  You can build to the point no one can get in between and it’s possible to make it seem perfect while just winging it.

From the bottom of the ocean all the way up to the platform? At that point the platform isn't needed at all imo.

Not being able to build away from the platform or snap multiple together, fair enough it limits building mega big bases that wreck the server. However I was hoping to be able to build 5-8 walls down to make a pen without too much hassle and it wouldn't be too big either.

We have 3 platforms lined up next to each other with a huge base on them + a water pen. 
It works fine and we are having fun with it. 

I agree that it would be nice to be able to build 12-15 structures down. But it's not worthless. I could also see some potential to grief other players by allowing them to build down, so it might not be that bad. 
If you want water-dinos to stay around your platform, you can just use the dino leash. It works perfect. 

10 minutes ago, TraXz said:

We have 3 platforms lined up next to each other with a huge base on them + a water pen. 
It works fine and we are having fun with it. 

I agree that it would be nice to be able to build 12-15 structures down. But it's not worthless. I could also see some potential to grief other players by allowing them to build down, so it might not be that bad. 
If you want water-dinos to stay around your platform, you can just use the dino leash. It works perfect. 

Water pen as in built from the platform itself? If so I do want to see what it looks like and how you've done it.
It's not about having the dinos by the platform, it's about keeping them safe and/or have a place for them to breed without the hassle of open sea.

Indeed not worthless, just not delivering a good experience for what a bunch of people hoped for.

On 3/18/2020 at 2:48 PM, SubaruImpossibru said:

You also cannot place a generator on it and expect the electrical cables to go very far, the cables have the same distance restrictions if they are coming off a generator that's placed on the platform

i have electrical cables run all around the entire platform so not sure what you're talking about with that one

They are fine building platforms, the benefit of building in the middle of the ocean and the cheap foundation area far outweighs the shortcomings of structure placement. It's also possible to place some Tek Turrets to defend your tames, but don't expect to build a Mosa/Tuso breeding pen on one of them, or even 4 in a square. Basilos will be ok, but you'll need to catch yourself a Coel in the ocean to exclude them on the Tek Turrets (Bog Coels do not work), so you don't waste your ammo on them, among other things like Carbos and Megachelons.

I would say, fixing the lateral and inferior placements are good ideas, but saying that the platforms are worthless is plain lie that I doubt even you believe on. So far they have proven to be the most useful addition in PvE building since... Forever.

4 hours ago, TorakWolf said:

They are fine building platforms, the benefit of building in the middle of the ocean and the cheap foundation area far outweighs the shortcomings of structure placement. It's also possible to place some Tek Turrets to defend your tames, but don't expect to build a Mosa/Tuso breeding pen on one of them, or even 4 in a square. Basilos will be ok, but you'll need to catch yourself a Coel in the ocean to exclude them on the Tek Turrets (Bog Coels do not work), so you don't waste your ammo on them, among other things like Carbos and Megachelons.

I would say, fixing the lateral and inferior placements are good ideas, but saying that the platforms are worthless is plain lie that I doubt even you believe on. So far they have proven to be the most useful addition in PvE building since... Forever.

Sure worthless is an exaggeration, the wooden one is a decent craft to build a base on.
What are the merits of building in the middle of the ocean? Without a pen it all seems like a demerit to me.

To place turrets you're going to need a tek generator which is quite a leap from the level of a wooden ocean platform.

Sure worthless is an exaggeration, the wooden one is a decent craft to build a base on.
What are the merits of building in the middle of the ocean? Without a pen it all seems like a demerit to me.

To place turrets you're going to need a tek generator which is quite a leap from the level of a wooden ocean platform.

The advantages of building on the ocean are the same as having a private island. It's misleading because it tempts to make you think that it is adequate to use it as a underwater pen, when it's better as a land base.

And... You don't have a Tek Generator? Like, both the Generator and Tek Turrets are really cheap, altho the Tekgram for the Turret isn't exactly a piece of cake to get.

Finally, forget the Wooden Platforms. They are smaller, easily damaged and, of course, ugly AF. In fact the ammount of materials you save by using Metal ones is so great you have no reasons other than personal preference to build somewhere else. Did I mention that they offer a perfectly leveled terrain?

22 minutes ago, TorakWolf said:

The advantages of building on the ocean are the same as having a private island. It's misleading because it tempts to make you think that it is adequate to use it as a underwater pen, when it's better as a land base.

And... You don't have a Tek Generator? Like, both the Generator and Tek Turrets are really cheap, altho the Tekgram for the Turret isn't exactly a piece of cake to get.

Finally, forget the Wooden Platforms. They are smaller, easily damaged and, of course, ugly AF. In fact the ammount of materials you save by using Metal ones is so great you have no reasons other than personal preference to build somewhere else. Did I mention that they offer a perfectly leveled terrain?

So it's an island you can place where you want. Except most private islands have a spot where you can build a decent dino pen.

*Flashback to Diablo Immortal* "Don't you have phones?"  I don't mean resources or a transferred character. Wooden platform is learnt at level 25, tek generator is quite a leap in progress from that.

Ok so wooden platform is worthless and should never have existed at all, gotcha. Metal platform, the same as a private island but with leveled terrain and no dino pen. At the end of the day ocean platforms have brought nothing new to the table and there is hardly any difference if they didn't exist at all.
A slight tweak to them would make them awesome though.

3 minutes ago, Teo96 said:

When i started i also was thinking they are useless but once i got enough resources to try something ugly but functional i changed my mind, now i raise land and water creatures with the same tek troughs :)

Don't mean to discredit your work (that looks nice all things considered), you could however have made something similar without the platform.
Don't hate the platforms, was hoping for a tiny bit more is all. Being able to build down a tiny bit more to make that (even in a deep part of the ocean), not having to make a million behemoth gates rising from the depths.

7 minutes ago, gojinki said:

Don't mean to discredit your work (that looks nice all things considered), you could however have made something similar without the platform.
Don't hate the platforms, was hoping for a tiny bit more is all. Being able to build down a tiny bit more to make that (even in a deep part of the ocean), not having to make a million behemoth gates rising from the depths.

Well i see them as an alternate choice to making a pillars and ceilings foundation, indeed they could have been better but even like these they are not that bad.

10 hours ago, gojinki said:

So it's an island you can place where you want. Except most private islands have a spot where you can build a decent dino pen.

*Flashback to Diablo Immortal* "Don't you have phones?"  I don't mean resources or a transferred character. Wooden platform is learnt at level 25, tek generator is quite a leap in progress from that.

Ok so wooden platform is worthless and should never have existed at all, gotcha. Metal platform, the same as a private island but with leveled terrain and no dino pen. At the end of the day ocean platforms have brought nothing new to the table and there is hardly any difference if they didn't exist at all.
A slight tweak to them would make them awesome though.

I don't think an item needs to add something new to be great. In fact, no one cared about Ocean Platforms until Genesis came out, there was almost 0 hype. Then it came, and guess what, the Ocean Biome is the favorite of many, with platforms being the solution for the limited amount of land it got. Now they are everywhere.

I mean, I and a tribemate were both disappointed when we realized that you could not build a pen under it. But guess what? We just had to build one somewhere else and slap a Teleport. Also, like I said, Tek Turrets make raising small to medium aquatic creatures without enclosing them a possibility.

Archived