Ridiculous Startup Times

ArthurJan

46 minutes ago, IanHighlander said:

How many mods are you running, what hardware are you running on, what else is running on the system at the same time.

I run seven servers on the same system and they can all start up simultaneously in around 130 seconds or faster. Am running, CKFR, S+ and Platforms+ mods on all servers.

0 mods. 1 server. 

im using a i7-4790K at 4GHz, GTX 970, with plenty of RAM 16gb.
no idea why it is taking to long as well. The past startups took 700 seconds or 1400 seconds as well.

1 minute ago, ArthurJan said:

0 mods. 1 server. 

im using a i7-4790K at 4GHz, GTX 970, with plenty of RAM 16gb.
no idea why it is taking to long as well. The past startups took 700 seconds or 1400 seconds as well.

Graphics card is irrelevant for a dedicated server and as you say the rest of the spec is fine. Ark server relies on two things primarily, CPU core speed (and it only uses one core/two threads, it wont use more than that) and disk I/O. Those would be the only other things that would affect it really. Are you running lots of other things on the same machine? Are you playing Ark on the same machine too?

Somewhere along the line, something in your spec is slowing it down ridiculously, an Ark server should start up in under a minute on that spec as long as the Hard drives are fast ones and not heavily in use by something else.

12 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

More cores helps too. With 6 cores it took me half the time, with 12 was about 1/4. That's just for the first couple of startups though. After you've started the server a few times it loads a lot faster.

Not true at all I'm afraid. Ark servers only utilise one core (two threads) and don't even utilise the second thread fully. Almost all Ark server processing is done by the first thread, with some control stuff on the second. Ark servers never use more than one core each.

You can add -usecache to your start up command which will (after two or three starts) help a bit.

18 minutes ago, IanHighlander said:

Not true at all I'm afraid. Ark servers only utilise one core (two threads) and don't even utilise the second thread fully. Almost all Ark server processing is done by the first thread, with some control stuff on the second. Ark servers never use more than one core each.

You can add -usecache to your start up command which will (after two or three starts) help a bit.

Yes though it only really appears to use one core, I received better results the more cores I had. The 6-core CPU is at 3.2GHz, and the 12-core CPU (two 6-core chips) is at 3.3GHz. 

This comparison was done with a fresh creation of TheIsland map.

Just now, SylenThunder said:

yes though it only really uses one core, I received better results the more cores I had. The 6-core CPU is at 3.2GHz, and the 12-core CPU (two 6-core chips) is at 3.3GHz. 

The clock speed will be what made the difference, even the slightest increase in clock speed will make a big difference to Ark servers. Core count does not.

4 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

Yes though it only really appears to use one core, I received better results the more cores I had. The 6-core CPU is at 3.2GHz, and the 12-core CPU (two 6-core chips) is at 3.3GHz. 

An admittedly old quote from Ark devs but still the case as they have previously also stated that they are unable to update to the newer UE4 engines because of the work that would be involved.

The ARK Server also only uses 2 threads on the CPU. This is because the version of Unreal that we built the game on did not support multi-threading/paralellization. We have integrated Paralellized animation, and networking, so our networking overhead and cost of animation work are done on a 2nd thread. We're doing more work to try and thread more elements of the server, but it is incredibly complex and difficult work to do.

Archived