these Updates are ridiculous

these Updates are ridiculous

I play on Xbox , Maybe the makers should think about all the people that do not have super fast internet within the last two week I have had to download 85 Gigabytes worth of downloads not counting the DLC updates , Three days downloading the first 55 GB only to get on for 15 minutes and have to get off for a server update , next morning I get back on to see another 11 GB update another day of no play,  Now  about a week later there is another 19 GB update so there goes another day of doing nothing but downloading. Be nice to know what is getting updated because I have seen no difference in play, I get booted off just as much after each download, I get about 1 GB per hour download so someone needs to get there &^##& together this is just  ridiculous .I bought the game to play not to watch downloading screens day after day...

• Volunteer Moderator

Well there's no point in people having super fast broadband if companies treated everyone as if they have dial-up internet.

People complain that things don't get fixed and updated and then people complain that things are getting updated too often, it's a lose lose situation.

12 hours ago, DaGoodNamesWereTaken said:

so your complaining your internet is absolute garbage and not really Wildcards fault. How about you PAY FOR BETTER INTERNET lol?? Unless you cant then you are SOL. 

Just so you know I download 19 gigs in less then an hour. Get rekt NERD

People play ARK from different places on earth. Where I live, I have 50Mbps connection and I pay almost $100 for it every month and there's almost no way to get anything better than this. Still even on 50Mbps it takes quite a bit of time to download all these updates so I do share the same feeling as OP does.

13 hours ago, DaGoodNamesWereTaken said:

so your complaining your internet is absolute garbage and not really Wildcards fault. How about you PAY FOR BETTER INTERNET lol?? Unless you cant then you are SOL. 

Just so you know I download 19 gigs in less then an hour. Get rekt NERD

Yes, its not Wildcards fault and yes there is a difference between what people can afford and not afford. 
But bullying and shaming?!?!  Why?

Not wildcards fault ? then whos fault would it be ? everyone is complaining about the constant glitching and I would not complain about a update once in a while but updates bigger than the original game file are a little excessive especially when a day latter they have another big update and not even week after that another with multiple server updates in between  where they kick you off the game. After all the updates game play has just as much lag and glitches no other games I play have this problem..

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 2:16 AM, Bamboleo940 said:

People play ARK from different places on earth. Where I live, I have 50Mbps connection and I pay almost $100 for it every month and there's almost no way to get anything better than this. Still even on 50Mbps it takes quite a bit of time to download all these updates so I do share the same feeling as OP does.

Like I said if you cant get better internet in your area then you are SH*T OUT OF LUCK.

So what would you rather have? The game never progress and patches don't get sent out to fix bugs lol? The reality is your internet is garbagio and its 2020. An age where your internet speed is a quality of life thing. As I said before, 30 mins to download 19 gigs. If its that much of an issue I suggesting moving to a new area so you don't have to suffer these atrocities.

Even on > 100mbps (My Telstra cable peaks at 115mbps or thereabouts) the downloads are excessive and slow especially. I'm only using a single console - throw in multiple Xboxes or platforms and it gets nasty fast (my GF runs up to 3 xboxes at her place) even on 80mbps+ 

Minor updates taking multiple 10GB downloads? One for each DLC Theres only 2 candidates to blame here which are Wildcard and Microsoft. I'm largely leaning towards Wildcard as the likely candidate.

Surely everyone downloading the whole game (DLC and all) and the DLC purely as a licence would make sense if that's an option, also surely differential patches are a thing ?‍♂️ would save a HELL of a lot on downloads even if they can be implemented/calculated for the last 2-3 versions (this is where I'd partly blame Microsoft if they can't facilitate that) 

• 8 months later...
On 3/12/2020 at 9:16 AM, Bamboleo940 said:

Really? I have worse than that mine is around 36Mbps, I download a 10 gig update in a couple of hours, I am not even on fibre im on old copper wiring, where I am seems to have been excluded from the digital age, all the areas around me are on on superfast broadband, annoying as I used to be on 180+ mbps and could download at warpspeed, still, you work with what you have.

Edited by Darkerspire
35 minutes ago, Darkerspire said:

Really? I have worse than that mine is around 36Mbps, I download a 10 gig update in a couple of hours, I am not even on fibre im on old copper wiring, where I am seems to have been excluded from the digital age, all the areas around me are on on superfast broadband, annoying as I used to be on 180+ mbps and could download at warpspeed, still, you work with what you have.

I am not convinced that super fast BB is always what it's cracked up to be.  Now I will admit that I do not know much about how download speeds work, but as I see it, you could pay several hundred for a 2Gbps (yes, Gbps just for the sake of this post), yet if the server you are downloading from will only give up its data at, say, 500Mbps, then despite your fancy 2Gbps internet speed, you'll only receive that data at 500Mbps, tops.

Well definitely some of the slow download is the fault of wildcard.   When I can download movies or television shows of one gigabyte size or bigger in less than two minutes yet it takes 3 hours to download an 11 GB file to update ark.  No sir, it is not only is the owner of the internet connection who is at fault for slow download rates.  But hey trolls will be trolls. 

• Like 1
  • Volunteer Moderator
3 hours ago, Myrm said:

Could it not be due to the way WC build/pack the updates that makes them so slow to download?

I was going to write up a lengthy response to this. Decided this was easier.

No.

Also:

https://store.hp.com/us/en/tech-takes/how-does-the-internet-work#:~:text=The internet is a worldwide,(TCP) [5].