New Player’s Experience

lolmfao

New Player’s Experience

Please hear me out ok, I have only been playing this game for a few months or so since I saw the some of the first genesis trailers. I got excited about such a cool looking game and went and bought it at a very discounted price (not the new dlc though.. for some reason they wouldn’t discount that after being delayed so long?) anyway, that’s besides the point. My experience started on a bad note with starting on a beginner server. The concept is great but its completely broken when you still have supply drops provide high tier blueprints. Just sayin. Thats dumb. Another thing is regarding the customer support for this game. It seems to be a complete disorganized mess where there are pointless topics (i.e: Support link for Missing Items but customer support cannot provide support for missing items?!) Not to mention the responses have a curious automated vibe to them.  Just saying again. Thats dumb ok. So far, the community of players has been nothing short of toxic all around the board. With the exception of a few generous and good willed people out there playing, the community in general is has a great deal of toxicity that seems to have discouraged a large amount of their player base. This is again unfortunate for a potentially good game. Oh well. Lets talk about Genesis. This DLC is for high level players mainly and most of the content will never been seen by anyone but mega tribes and devs. Its mainly a iced topping for all of those people to play with and most casual players will never see half that stuff. Its a lead on to sell a product and basically a sneaky money grab. As a new player, I am utterly disgusted at the toxicity and lack of support surrounding a game community. Cheers and have fun. There’s other better things coming from better devs, trust me. Till then ill be punching trees. Peace.

The toxicity is not unique to this game.  Yes there are quite a few people here just looking for trouble, but for the most part I see people trying to get or provide help on these boards.  The game is poorly managed and that probably leads to a lot of the anger and toxicity you may encounter.  It's unfortunate, but that is the way of things.  Like any other online forum you have to ignore the noise and move on.  Wildcard, and Ark by extension, has quite a few issues and I have resigned to the fact that many of them may never be addressed.  But I would be lying if I said I didn't feel I got my money's worth out of the game regardless.

9 minutes ago, PertySlick said:

The toxicity is not unique to this game.  Yes there are quite a few people here just looking for trouble, but for the most part I see people trying to get or provide help on these boards.  The game is poorly managed and that probably leads to a lot of the anger and toxicity you may encounter.  It's unfortunate, but that is the way of things.  Like any other online forum you have to ignore the noise and move on.  Wildcard, and Ark by extension, has quite a few issues and I have resigned to the fact that many of them may never be addressed.  But I would be lying if I said I didn't feel I got my money's worth out of the game regardless.

understatement of the year right there.   I will say this though, they are good for some laughs.

dr.thumb.PNG.97f52f8d4ceadd3ce50ba514aa16a45d.PNG

dr2.thumb.PNG.ffbe29fef32414ac26b80b81cb5354e3.PNG

The standard response lolmfao is "find a good community within an unofficial server".  There are some around that don't tolerate toxic people.
Look for servers that have been around for a year or more.  If they've survived that long, then they're probably going to survive a good while longer.
Don't be put off if it takes a few attempts.  It is a great game despite the poor customer support.

Try to find a server in your own country, as the ping times will be better for you.

https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/search?sort=rank&game=ark&q=-official

48 minutes ago, SLlCK said:

understatement of the year right there.   I will say this though, they are good for some laughs.

dr.thumb.PNG.97f52f8d4ceadd3ce50ba514aa16a45d.PNG

dr2.thumb.PNG.ffbe29fef32414ac26b80b81cb5354e3.PNG

When I say issues and poorly managed, I am referring to their updates, patches, bugs, glitches, technical support, etc...  When it comes to playing official servers my opinion is you're playing on servers made available for free, and you get what you pay for.  If you want more control over the server or recovery options, spin up your own server.  Otherwise you are subscribing to be at the mercy of "what's best for the community as a whole" and whatever type of enforcement Wildcard wishes to provide.  Which is obviously slim.  They don't support the paid product very well, why would we expect them to support the free product any better?

2 minutes ago, PertySlick said:

When I say issues and poorly managed, I am referring to their updates, patches, bugs, glitches, technical support, etc...  When it comes to playing official servers my opinion is you're playing on servers made available for free, and you get what you pay for.  If you want more control over the server or recovery options, spin up your own server.  Otherwise you are subscribing to be at the mercy of "what's best for the community as a whole" and whatever type of enforcement Wildcard wishes to provide.  Which is obviously slim.  They don't support the paid product very well, why would we expect them to support the free product any better?

I have been waiting to spin up my own server for 2 weeks now.   It still doesn't work, there is no button to host my own server anymore, it went away.  Where is it?  who knows, wildcard sure aint going to tell anyone.  For some reason that is top secret information.

What I posted above is all about the updates and technical support.  One person from wildcard says one thing and someone else says the opposite.  That is beyond comical in my opinion.

Just now, SLlCK said:

I have been waiting to spin up my own server for 2 weeks now.   It still doesn't work, there is no button to host my own server anymore, it went away.  Where is it?  who knows, wildcard sure aint going to tell anyone.  For some reason that is top secret information.

What I posted above is all about the updates and technical support.  One person from wildcard says one thing and someone else says the opposite.  That is beyond comical in my opinion.

Which shows how disorganized they are.  I agree, it's disturbing.  When Cedric pointed out he cannot update patch notes because they aren't even sure what is in each update, my jaw dropped.  As a software developer, that's terrifying!

4 minutes ago, PertySlick said:

Which shows how disorganized they are.  I agree, it's disturbing.  When Cedric pointed out he cannot update patch notes because they aren't even sure what is in each update, my jaw dropped.  As a software developer, that's terrifying!

I have dealt with a lot of developers over the years and I have to say these guys are the absolute worst, I have never seen anything like this before, and I have seen some bad devs.  I have also seen brand new start up devs that were way more put together than these guys.  Someone needs to take a closer look and start clearing house.  As a business owner myself I know I wouldn't put up with half this crap.  Do your job or pick up your last check on Friday.

9 minutes ago, SLlCK said:

I have dealt with a lot of developers over the years and I have to say these guys are the absolute worst, I have never seen anything like this before, and I have seen some bad devs.  I have also seen brand new start up devs that were way more put together than these guys.  Someone needs to take a closer look and start clearing house.  As a business owner myself I know I wouldn't put up with half this crap.  Do your job or pick up your last check on Friday.

Wildcard: "Lets release this Ugly sweater Skin this patch" all along Xbox Controller users still cant control the damn automatic "whistle one" command.  Windows 10 users whistling non stop, only to get relief from someone who found a temporary fix.  Indeed, after the immense response after the game caught traction, during early release, the game creators chose to buy new toys with their new found cash instead of hiring qualified people that could continue development at a professional level.  WildCard was way over their heads, and like I said 3-4 years ago, the most incompetent software company I have ever had the displeasure to be sucked into.  I quit back then,  rejoining just a month ago hoping things had changed.  The concept/idea of Ark is incredibly awesome, its just to bad,  one of the better triple A studios couldn't have been the ones to create and or finish its final 1.0 release.

"Seriously,  its hard to hold back,  and not fly off into a 5 page rant"

20 minutes ago, SLlCK said:

Ha!  Definitely not the worst but not great for sure.  You have to admit they have a product and it's still making money despite the problems.  And for what it's worth I do think most, if not all, of the devs do care and try.  It just seems like the company as a whole lacks the organization and communication a game as ambitious as Ark would require.

20 minutes ago, PertySlick said:

Ha!  Definitely not the worst but not great for sure.  You have to admit they have a product and it's still making money despite the problems.  And for what it's worth I do think most, if not all, of the devs do care and try.  It just seems like the company as a whole lacks the organization and communication a game as ambitious as Ark would require.

They have a good product.  It's a great game and a great idea.  I have said a bunch of times, this game has more mechanics and detail than most,  but they are half assing it,  "good enough" seems to be the standard for these guys.   They have no organization, no idea how to run a company, and seem to be afraid of their customers.

On 3/10/2020 at 12:36 PM, PertySlick said:

true but i have been playing online games for a long long time (since the original  warcraft 1 and 2) not to mention I played my share of MW2 which was said to have the most toxic chat in the global gaming community... however its very sad that toxicity in the ark gaming community takes the cake. Maybe not to the profane extent that Mw2 held but still.. just sayin. Ill try the UO Server options as they look way more fun any. But then are you not at the mercy of who ever is paying for the server? Its a loose loose, you just play the game, get arked in the rearend and continue to absorb the daily punishment i suppose.. or quit. what evs. 

On 3/11/2020 at 5:36 AM, PertySlick said:

at this point the only reason it is making money is because it has no competition, i am hoping another bigger and better company will knock WC into their place soon. this may give them a wake up call and make them actually fix their game. 

On 3/11/2020 at 6:40 AM, SLlCK said:

They have a good product.  It's a great game and a great idea.  I have said a bunch of times, this game has more mechanics and detail than most,  but they are half assing it,  "good enough" seems to be the standard for these guys.   They have no organization, no idea how to run a company, and seem to be afraid of their customers.

half assing it would be them giving it their all at this point. their standard is using their ass to do the work, sitting on the keyboard and wiping their ass along the keyboard is their standard. at this point they can never actually fix ark, the only way to save it is to sell it to a bigger company, hell even then it would take alot of time and money to fix it.

1 hour ago, lolmfao said:

true but i have been playing online games for a long long time (since the original  warcraft 1 and 2) not to mention I played my share of MW2 which was said to have the most toxic chat in the global gaming community... however its very sad that toxicity in the ark gaming community takes the cake. Maybe not to the profane extent that Mw2 held but still.. just sayin. Ill try the UO Server options as they look way more fun any. But then are you not at the mercy of who ever is paying for the server? Its a loose loose, you just play the game, get arked in the rearend and continue to absorb the daily punishment i suppose.. or quit. what evs. 

ah but that is where you are wrong my friend. my friend runs a server cluster and he is one of the best hosts i have ever played with. he runs a democratic system where if something is suggested he lets the server vote. he helps all players new or veteran, young or old. he accepts no levels of toxicity. he does not host the servers for his sake, he hosts them for the players sake. we both have played on a lot of clusters before he opened his. a lot of them were great and fun. unofficial hosts are honestly better than WC as they deal with situations.

On 3/10/2020 at 12:00 PM, PertySlick said:

that coupled with the end comment to them fixing their math on the overspawning dino's in valguero, that one just blew my mind... "Math is hard, yo!"  i seriously thought, if math is hard why are you writing code?!

1 hour ago, lolmfao said:

you will run across some toxic UO Servers, but i think the biggest problem with them are some only hang around for 3-6 months, then poof they are gone without warning, you go to log in one day and it just isn't there, and never returns.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to shout out a thanks everyone for the input and advice to me and other new player to better their experiences with ark. I hadn’t considered just sticking it out on UO to see if the toxicity leaves and how especially about server hosts are generally good willed. Much appreciated for the perspectives. Ill hang in there for a bit longer and give it a chance. Its fun no doubt when you do encounter a decent group of players. 

As a subnote: At this point I am more likely to stop playing the game because of its ridiculous glitching, crashing, inconsistencies with interface (ie. genesis hex menu), losing items in ark data, falling though the map (ie genesis, val), constant memory leaks (ie. extinction), etc..etc.. 

I have not been this frustrated with a video game since Mario Bros 2, legit. 

Archived