ArtoriasParker

Split Screen Issues

My wife and I have been playing splitscreen ever since Ark was released on console. We play on a ps4 pro currently. It has been a very buggy and frustrating experience. It seems like none of the splitscreen issues have been addressed at all since launch as I have seen zero improvement. I never complained when the game wasn’t finished since bugs are to be expected in early access games. 

When either player accesses their inventory, acceses a storage container, or moves items from an inventory to a container or vice versa, the game freezes and has to catch up. It is very frustrating if we are trying to use our inventory at the same time. It will ignore commands and buttons have to be pushed multiple times for it to register. We jumped back into the game with the recent release of extinction, but were quickly reminded of our past frustrastions with splitscreen. If these issues were fixed then splitscreen would be amazing. 

A few other issues with splitscreen:

Both players are forced to be in either first person or third person when riding a dinosaur. We cannot have one player in first person and another in third when riding a mount. 

When a weapon skin is applied, it is shown hovering infront of the player when viewed by the other player. 

If a creature is on your shoulder (otter for example) it cannot be seen by the other player unless the player who is carrying the creature goes into third person. 

Player two cannot see underwater unless player one is underwater. 

We have a 55” inch tv and it is still difficult to read the a lot of the information on screen (not a big issue).

The big issue with splitscreen is the inventory freezing that I mentioned first. The other issues aren’t a huge deal, but it would be a 10/10 if all these issues were  eventually patched.  

I know these issues are not exclusive to us because we recently upgraded to a ps4 pro and are experiencing the exact same issues. 

• Like 1

I don’t mean that kind of freezing. I guess “freezing” is a poor choice of words on my part. Whenever one person just simply opens their inventory/ storage container/ or even moves something into their inventory via mining/ chopping/ picking, it causes the game to mess up for the other person. If the other player is gathering wood while im trying to put something in a storage container, I have to ask the other player to stop gathering so I can complete this task or I have to mash the button quickly and most likely move more items than I intended. There are many hiccups when both players are accessing inventory or even while one player is gathering and the other is accessing invtory. Its much more frustrating than I can explain and you will know what I am taking about if you play split screen on ps4. I cannot say if this problem persists on xbox. 

• Like 1

I've been having the same issues since early access. A few more are:

- if either player goes to type it pulls up the keyboard on the entire screen making the other player walk uncontrollable or screen to spin unless already still before keyboard opens

- on the Center if player 2 touches any water source they are teleported to player 1 unless player 1 is touching the water. (even if player 2 is on a dino)

- either player being kicked out or unable to open scissor menu if the other player opens any menu

and of course the same issues as you with:

- player menu inputs conflicting with eachother causing freezing or button promps to not read or incorrectly prompt (i find this one to be the most common and frustrating)

- invisible shoulder pets

- first and third person affecting both screens when prompted 

- player 2 not being able to see underwater unless player 1 is under water

Wildcard seems to not support solo or splitscreen players at all as i've posted these issues for almost 2 years with no attempt from them to address any of them.

Yeah, I believe you are right about solo/ splitscreen players being low on WC’s priority list. I went on playing with these frustrations because I knew WC had to fix a lot of other things. But the game is out of early access and they are apparently finished with dlc. Maybe now the priority list is getting shorter and split screen will get a patch or two. 

Give me Structures Plus on console and  you won’t hear me complain about split screen problems!

I was playing on my Xbox with my friends.  I was on split screen with my brother and we were on a non dedicated server.  I keep on freezing and the death respawn music is playing.  I couldn't equipt anything, I couldn't move, look around.  Then, when I'm back to normal.  I'm killed by something invisible.  Please help! 

Posted (edited)

Same here. PS4 split screen graphics are a major issue at the moment. 

I just bought ARK a little over a week ago, specifically for split screen co-op and was excited to give it a try with my girlfriend. Big WOMP WOMP so far...

It appears the shadows from player 2 are being duplicated as an extra layer over the half for player 1, rendering the experience basically unplayable. Any update on a fix in progress would be much appreciated.

Edited by jdublx

On 3/11/2020 at 2:53 PM, Dariuswiiiii said:

I have a problem with split screen

I have a problem with the split screen while playing with my friend.

in my screen appears with shadows what my friend sees in his screen.

I dont know what to do, i hope you can fix it.

On 3/11/2020 at 3:26 PM, Tyrant12121 said:

Im having this same problem

On 3/14/2020 at 11:29 AM, MashedPanda said:

Same problem here as well, Split Screen on PS4. 

13 hours ago, Dulcimosin said:

Yep mee too. Just keep submitting these to the forms till its fixed!

13 hours ago, ciggynz said:

Same here

Hello can anyone of you please test this cheat command I don't have a PS4 so can't test it myself. If it works can you let us know so we can share it with everyone still struggling to play.

Someone found this on Reddit 

cheat prevviewmode and cycle through, This should help you turn off the shadow overlay.

17 hours ago, SnowboundGem said:

Hello can anyone of you please test this cheat command I don't have a PS4 so can't test it myself. If it works can you let us know so we can share it with everyone still struggling to play.

Someone found this on Reddit 

cheat prevviewmode and cycle through, This should help you turn off the shadow overlay.

Hi! Yes can confirm this one works just have to press it a few times to get it to look good. The graphics are mildly odd but it’s totally playable!! :) no shadows. 

• Like 1

Two years later my girlfriend and I are also playing this game a lot because we love it but the amount of lost time and frustration due to it is insane. Now after the release of genesis we are playing ragnarok and discovered that the first player gets all the shadows, from the second player moving around, in their screen and also the first player some times just can't swap stacks of any item to a storage unit, dino or where ever. Not to mention the immense amount of lag, and when you try to fly over water together it pulls player two to the bottom of the river/sea, losing your flyer, attracking all sorts of monster resulting in frustration and having to regain all you've worked for. Trying to give ark bug reports is impossible since they don't seem to care about paying customers on consoles.. You can only report a bug, glitch or crash for the pc. 

I'm having a big problem in my split screen game

I play ark on ps4, host local, and I cant play split screen because when I connect the second controller the other screen tells me to create my survivor again and when I create my survivor the other screen tells to create my survivor again, and idk why that's happening, I already updated it. I dont know if it's a bug or something but I really need help please.

On 3/19/2020 at 11:38 PM, KisaHitora said:

Hi! Yes can confirm this one works just have to press it a few times to get it to look good. The graphics are mildly odd but it’s totally playable!! :) no shadows. 

Are you sure this worked? tried many time different combination and looks like it doesn't do anything