Can't use generator on ocean platform?

Skeeze12

Can't use generator on ocean platform?

I recently built a metal platform in the ocean. I have spent few days building a base on it. After I place the generator I cannot snap a cable to it. It says to high above ground. Are  they not allowing generators or dino gates(says too high above ground) or is this just a glitch. 

Edit: figured it out. Have to place directly on metal and not on ceilings. I covered my platform with ceilings.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, BVKnight said:

This might help: 

So maybe make sure your platform is not above a deep trench?

well on my genesis server that's a bit impossible,  all the shallow spots are pillared and you can't place any where there aren't any platforms already,   I test build was on the island where the water was aprox as deep as the buildable areas that I found.   Its poor foresight on wildcards part with these platforms, they've basically made them pointless,  large unmovable boats.   Have a feeling if I attempt to put a water tap on that platform im going to have the same problem.  

My tribemate wanted me to build something similar to the test build at the island for a taming pen,  so I build a ocean platform and lined it up with some celings that are overhanging the ocean floor there, and have built a area below the platform that's the same exact size so I can 'mimic' having it outsite the base, but a normal ground up build sense its proving to be useless elsewise.

moving where I put the first one is kinda out of the question,  there's 400 walls & floors used on the build to see what I could do with it.  a lot of materials that are going to go to waste now, I figured at least it was near a cave so it could be used as a dive point for the cave at the least, so its just sitting there, with minimal crafting / food setup inside... probably will plop down some preserving bins (hopefully They will work) so we can at least store food there when were going for the cave.

I was able to drop the center area down 3 walls deep, and put a floor across the bottom of it using a stairway as a snap point to the lowest walls bottom, so at the least, perhaps they could be built into a taming pen.  but even that is a issue with how wildcard setup these patforms, as 2 sides can't have ceilings snapped strait down them, while the other two sides can, so you have to go in at least one ceiling over the hole to put walls all the way around on the inside.  The platforms collision stops you else wise.  

Another flaw with the platform is you can't snap anything out from the out ledge, not even a ladder so you can climb up from the outside if you wanted to seal off the inside,  I haven't tried a rope ladder yet, as I have yet to return to scorched earth to 'relearn' my engrams from there sense their engram wipe to fix the bug they produced with the mindwipe tonic.  

The platform has bugs, its nice for building but, could use the ability to build down at least 5-6 walls, so you could snap a dino gate on the inside to allow some dinos to be able to swim inside at least,  one could put a trap door on the bottom I suppose allowing manta, eel, dolphin, angler and other smaller water mounts to swim in.  It would be even better if 12 deep was as far down as you could go, so you could do a behemoth gate.  I doubt they will do either though.

While the ocean platform is a new interesting idea, in its current state, its really nothing better then a glorified large stationary boat.

I know this post is old. But for anyone trying to build electric cables and get the message "Too high above ground" - Turn off or on your generator, then you are able to place them. It's super weird, if it's already on, you have to turn it off. Visa versa.

Gates cannot be fixed. And tek storages cannot be stacked aswell when it's on too deep water. Such stupid game mechanics.  

21 hours ago, TraXz said:

I know this post is old. But for anyone trying to build electric cables and get the message "Too high above ground" - Turn off or on your generator, then you are able to place them. It's super weird, if it's already on, you have to turn it off. Visa versa.

Gates cannot be fixed. And tek storages cannot be stacked aswell when it's on too deep water. Such stupid game mechanics.  

im gonna hop on and see if that will work for me :) thanks traks

Edit In: This worked... sorta

If the geny wasn't directly on the metal platform, still couldn't get any wires to connect to it.

But with a geny on the platform, all I had to do was stick 1 gas in it and it started letting me snap cables to it, didn't even have to toggle it on :D,  it was difficult getting power to the upper floors but I got it done using flex cables to connect each floor to the lower level, and I was able to start putting down cables again sense they were connect to the geny line with the flex cables.

18 hours ago, caleb68 said:

im gonna hop on and see if that will work for me :) thanks traks

Edit In: This worked... sorta

If the geny wasn't directly on the metal platform, still couldn't get any wires to connect to it.

But with a geny on the platform, all I had to do was stick 1 gas in it and it started letting me snap cables to it, didn't even have to toggle it on :D,  it was difficult getting power to the upper floors but I got it done using flex cables to connect each floor to the lower level, and I was able to start putting down cables again sense they were connect to the geny line with the flex cables.

Awesome that you figured out a solution. I really do hope they will look into this, aswell as all the other bugs with the platform :)

4 hours ago, TraXz said:

Awesome that you figured out a solution. I really do hope they will look into this, aswell as all the other bugs with the platform :)

yeah me too, the platform has so much potential but some of the bugs really make it frustrating to get things done on it, like the power.  thanks fhough, i would of never though about gassing up the geny to get it to work lol.

Archived