What’s the silliest thing you’ve wasted time on in Ark?

mattj

Starting over and over and over... I've lost track of how many bloody times I've made a new character and had to punch trees. Part of it was because pvp, part of it was those awful "great migrations" that they did with poor communication and one of them right after implementing the 15min transfer timer, so lost everything tribe rage quit, months later we were rebuilding and I just went with a new character. Switched to single player made a new character. Switched to small tribes, new char.. Switched pve so had to obviously make a new character. Made multiple characters for all my pve maps so transferring wouldn't be necessary. Then lost a character while trying to transfer anyways, made a new character. Got sucked into genesis thought I had to make a new character, tribe mates were lvl 100 ?cause they knew btr… lol.

Oh, well, too much to list so lets shorten it to newest stuff.

- fishing with net. Gives no loot, only fish meat. Fish can run away without any noticeable way to prevent it.

- trying to beat beta wave ray 64 that obviously wasn't tested, while you can do alpha difficulty with no problems in some other missions

- tried to knock out a lvl90 x-anky with slingshot

and last but definitely not least, not genesis specific but most fruitless way to waste time:

- trying to get response from devs on official forums

Two big time wasters come to mind...

1) Trying to tame a Galli by shooting it with tranq arrows as it ran around my over sized taming pen.  By the time I finally landed a hit the torpor effect from the previous hit was all but gone. Finally I got smart and trapped it inside a 1x1 square of door frames first.

2) Taming a Galli at all. 

17 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

Starting over and over and over... I've lost track of how many bloody times I've made a new character and had to punch trees. 

This is what I love about a private non-clustered server. You can play on a map for months and build up a lot of tames and resources, etc, then when your server group switches maps you just transfer it all to a local non-dedicated session where you build an 'archive' base. Then transfer some stuff to the new maps to 'seed' your start there. Rinse repeat. After a while you have tons of stuff stockpiled in the non-dedicated session. I never have to grind any more. 

Painting diplos. Takes time, effort, lots of paint (even if it's just white swirls and lines on whatever is the diplo's natural color), and is absolutely useless. The rest of silly things I do usually ends up being somewhat useful: my failed attempts on getting color-mutated dodos produce eggs, my equally failed due to wrong mutations (oxygen, stamina, weight. But at least the colors are cool!) allos take care of anything that sneaks into the base and starts making trouble... But painted diplos? They just look pretty, that's all. Actually, I guess taming them in the first place can be considered a waste of time, even though sometimes I ride them.

Building or taming too much too early on official pvp. I love playing solo and it took me a few long, miserable attempts on small tribes to realize how much i could accomplish with a tiny, well hidden metal shack and no defenses and how amazingly liberating it is to not have to spend so much time building and maintaining. Id spend a week or two building a metal fort and have it get blown to bits and get frustrated and quit for a while then come back with a new strategy.

I once built a huuuuuuge ladder like 20 walls high to get to the top of a pillar cuz i didnt feel like just taming a damn ptera xD. On official pvp no less lol. I planned on building my base up there but got bored just after i finished. That was like attempt number 2 or 3.

Being brand new on an extinction server right after it released. All i had was a lowly level 80 iguanodon, a crossbow, some hide armor and like 100 tranqs and for some silly reason there was a mana in sanctuary that ganked me and I spent about an hour spinning around on the iguanodon trying to tranq it. I managed to knock it out right before my iquanodon died and then spent another hour in a mad dash trying to keep it. End of story? I had a lvl 120 ish managarmr on day one of extinction and iguanodons became one of my fav tames ever because they dun lose stam in running mode.

Trying to shoot an ichthyornis with tranqs instead of just bola and clubbing it unconscious. I have a serious love/hate affair for the damn pelicans. On one hand they are super useful utility tames but on the other they are some of the most annoying things ever. They hunt you down, take ur stuff, kill ur nekkid ass and have stupid hitboxes.

Archived