When is inbreeding going to be bad?

Vas

I don't think this is necessary. Just because you think it's "disgusting" doesn't mean it should be removed. In the real world, if a brother and sister, let's say cat, mate with each other, the babies will not automatically be blind/weak/mentally unstable. If two creatures both carrying an gene for a harmful mutation mate, the baby will possibly have said mutation. Inbreeding just increases the odds of this happening. The seven billon people alive today could all be descended from ten to thirty thousand. There's a species of bird that managed to survive after having a single fertile female and two or three males.

On 3/2/2020 at 4:10 AM, Vas said:

realism in games does not suck, it only depends on how you do it.

um.... you are aware that in reality, inbreeding doesn't cause any negative effect on genome directly right?
besides, it will be really unrealistic if you actually make creatures in ark suffere from inbreeding:

the way inbreeding affect genome is to cause large (welp, relatively large) fragments of genome (and thus the allele in these fragments) to be identical by ancestry. this is not bad itself, unless the identical fragments happen to carry alleles thats are already mutated to be malfunctional

that being said, generally,  a species organism can only be negatively affected by inbreeding if and only if both condition below are satisfied:
1, there is an alleles that is already mutated to be malfunctional
2, the organism is not haploid

P.S. i think diploids are most negatively affected by inbreeding since there are only 2 copies of genes. having 3 copies will reduce the possibility of all- malfunctional allele combination and 1 copy will just kill (make - unfit) every organism in that species that carries malfunctional allele, thus eliminating that allele

now.... as for creatures in ark........

have you ever seen an malfunctional allele? (ever seen rex with 1 leg or 3 legs? theris with  no claws or full of claws?)
do you think that they are diploids (ever seen any recessive trait when you are breeding? if there is never a recessive trait in your organism........ then it is most likely halpoid)

I also avoid inbreeding but I'm RP.  I am not interested in boss fights or tek.  I like colors.  I like catching.  Avoiding inbreeding works well for my style. 

There are other breeding games that punish inbred.  I do not play Minecraft someone tonight told me it didn't reward inbreeding.  Honestly, they are just a bunch of pixels.  Fun to rp they are real but they heckn arnt.

If I made a game I would love to "punish" inbreeding by making wild looking genetic misfits!  People would inbreed on purpose then just for giggles but it would be neat. 

Archived