For people who need to leave for awhile

PvtFr0sty

Suggestion

I think there should be a option where if you have to leave for a business trip or military service your stuff can not decay, because I have no tribemate and I cant trust anyone with my stuff, I have to leave soon and I'm scared when I leave I won't have anything when I come back.

19 replies to this server topic

Pack all your blueprints and your best gear on your char, upload your dinos and make a server transfer but do not select a respawn location. Instead kill ARK in the Task Manager when prompted to select a respawn location. By this way your char is safe in the cyberspace-twilight-zone.

OK, you will lose your base and your land, but better than losing anything.

1 hour ago, Logan96 said:

@PvtFr0sty@shadowkyuubi@FreelancerKnux@Xenithar@mattj@Cowgirl@Zapha

Ok...now that I have everyones attention...there are these amazing official servers called offline raid protection servers. I don't know if they exist on PvE but on PvP they are a miracle for fellow players who happen to have a life outside of their moms basement. The way they work is this...you log out and you can still be raided for the next 15 minutes, this stops people from logging out in the middle of a raid to stay safe. During this time your turrets still fire, but after those 15 minutes pass your turrets quit wasting ammunition. Your dinos and base may no longer be damaged by players or other wild dinos and they will stay that way for an entire week, at which point your base will begin auto decaying, but as long as you log in within the vicinity of your base, even if just for one second your timer will reset. Your dinos and crops will still require attention, but when dormant and/or cyropoded your dinos can last up to a month before needing care.

For some people logging in even once a week can be out of the question, especially if your job requires you to travel, but if you simply work 8-10 hours a day, logging on once  a week to refill feeding troughs and generator fuel is a reasonable requirement. I work from 12pm to 10pm on a regular basis with weekends off and have thrived on official offline raid protection servers for years. They also come in clusters, so you can still travel between the different maps and mix things up. As for the hard working players who are incapable of logging in once a week...just know that you have my respect for working so hard and your only realistic solution is non official servers. 

PS: I tried to just quote you all so I can get your names together and mention you all in a tag, but I'm apparently too stupid to figure out how to delete quotes, so now this reply is flaming piece of phioma poop. I hope the quotes obstructing my reply and possible solution to the OP don't bother you all to much...

I am on an ORP server, but I am talking about when someone has to go away for a while, or what if someone ended up in the hospital unexpectedly? 8 days (for dinos) is not a long enough decay timer.  Life is unpredictable and sometimes people have to go places. I haven't gone a week without getting on this game for almost 4 and a half years because I don't want to lose everything I have.

3 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

I am on an ORP server, but I am talking about when someone has to go away for a while, or what if someone ended up in the hospital unexpectedly? 8 days (for dinos) is not a long enough decay timer.  Life is unpredictable and sometimes people have to go places. I haven't gone a week without getting on this game for almost 4 and a half years because I don't want to lose everything I have.

If someone ends up in the hospital unexpectedly they aren't wondering "what about my ark dinos" they are wondering "what about my job?, or what about my school? maybe even what about my family? 

My house burned down about two years ago. The last thing I thought about was Ark. I didn't even think about gaming until maybe 3 months after that, once I had you know a house and all that other poop again. You say that you haven't gone offline for more than week since this game was practically released. Most of us don't have that luxury and when we have to disappear for that length of time we just accept the consequences that come with it. 

If you are an established player with a tribe they will keep things going while you are gone. If you are a solo player then you were either hit by an unexpected life circumstance, in which case Ark is the last thing on your mind, or you planned very poorly based on your work load by not joining an unofficial server. Trust me I understand the frustration. For the last year ive been trying to play with my tribe with an internet speed that averages 30 kbps, off of a mobile hotspot, because I cannot get any internet up to this new house, that I was forced to move to, due to a massive fire. 

Sometimes the unexpected happens, I'm sorry that Ark cant cater to the fact that  "life is UNPREDICTABLE and sometimes people have to go places". Nobody can cater to everyone. 

@Cowgirl I just reread what I wrote and it sounds a little bit disrespectful. Just wanted to clarify that I didn't want to imply that you didn't have anything going on in your own life. I just feel like unexpected life circumstances are exactly that and we can't cater to every single person, me being one of them, who was forced to move to primarily single player due to unforeseeable circumstances. You have my complete respect and I don't want to presume that I know anything about you or your circumstances. 

As a mainly solo player it would be cool if they had that, if you can, I recommend making a bunch of pods and basically sticking your most important stuff in a metal base in pods, things like your best BPs and extra gas (DO NOT open your cryo fridges without powering them first if you get back online and they are not powered) make extra electric wires and outlets and all that, and keep them in a box in your metal shack. That's what I have set up for emergencies. it is only good for a little over 2 weeks (keep track of the box timers though) but it's better than losing everything. You could also bring a friend into your tribe, someone you have known a long time if you dont want to do the metal box. It's better than (for sure) losing everything.

15 hours ago, shadowkyuubi said:

reduced decay timers

I feel it would be awesome if there was an Official Server with much longer decay timers.
On Boundless, the lowest timer (outside of tutorial campfire) is about 4 weeks. People who pay for gleam club can have that timer boosted up to... well... infinite. I have bought 25 weeks personally.

Ovipets has a vacation mode for up to 6 months, but Vmode Pets isnt as debilitating on a community as Ark structures could be.

For people with lives that tear them away, and some suddenly (no time to pod everything) I think a "vacaton mode" or an option to extend timers would be a fabulous idea.

Maybe even specialty servers. Ohhh that would  be so  nice imo
Unofficials I have never seen stay around for very long. Officials are more reliable, more persistent.
singleplayer isnt the preferred choice for some social creatures.

What if instead, have everything that autodecays give a bonus to your account, when you can come back you spend the bonus points to generate a special 2x, or 5x, or 10x if you had an alpha base, etc. event for yourself. That would inspire people to come back, yet allow auto decay to clean up abandoned bases clogging up the land and causing lag.

7 hours ago, PvtFr0sty said:

I think there should be a option where if you have to leave for a business trip or military service your stuff can not decay, because I have no tribemate and I cant trust anyone with my stuff, I have to leave soon and I'm scared when I leave I won't have anything when I come back.

6 hours ago, shadowkyuubi said:

Its a decay timer for all or a decay timer for none system sadly

4 hours ago, FreelancerKnux said:

Yep that system exists mate its called single player 

4 hours ago, Xenithar said:

Incorrect. The system is called unofficial. We turned that crap off. IF a player messages an admin and explains what is going on we make sure it is there when he gets back. Simple.

4 hours ago, mattj said:

Official is not for people who have normal lives.

2 hours ago, Zapha said:

Pack all your blueprints and your best gear on your char, upload your dinos and make a server transfer but do not select a respawn location. Instead kill ARK in the Task Manager when prompted to select a respawn location. By this way your char is safe in the cyberspace-twilight-zone.

OK, you will lose your base and your land, but better than losing anything.

4 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

As a mainly solo player it would be cool if they had that, if you can, I recommend making a bunch of pods and basically sticking your most important stuff in a metal base in pods, things like your best BPs and extra gas (DO NOT open your cryo fridges without powering them first if you get back online and they are not powered) make extra electric wires and outlets and all that, and keep them in a box in your metal shack. That's what I have set up for emergencies. it is only good for a little over 2 weeks (keep track of the box timers though) but it's better than losing everything. You could also bring a friend into your tribe, someone you have known a long time if you dont want to do the metal box. It's better than (for sure) losing everything.

@PvtFr0sty@shadowkyuubi@FreelancerKnux@Xenithar@mattj@Cowgirl@Zapha

Ok...now that I have everyones attention...there are these amazing official servers called offline raid protection servers. I don't know if they exist on PvE but on PvP they are a miracle for fellow players who happen to have a life outside of their moms basement. The way they work is this...you log out and you can still be raided for the next 15 minutes, this stops people from logging out in the middle of a raid to stay safe. During this time your turrets still fire, but after those 15 minutes pass your turrets quit wasting ammunition. Your dinos and base may no longer be damaged by players or other wild dinos and they will stay that way for an entire week, at which point your base will begin auto decaying, but as long as you log in within the vicinity of your base, even if just for one second your timer will reset. Your dinos and crops will still require attention, but when dormant and/or cyropoded your dinos can last up to a month before needing care.

For some people logging in even once a week can be out of the question, especially if your job requires you to travel, but if you simply work 8-10 hours a day, logging on once  a week to refill feeding troughs and generator fuel is a reasonable requirement. I work from 12pm to 10pm on a regular basis with weekends off and have thrived on official offline raid protection servers for years. They also come in clusters, so you can still travel between the different maps and mix things up. As for the hard working players who are incapable of logging in once a week...just know that you have my respect for working so hard and your only realistic solution is non official servers. 

PS: I tried to just quote you all so I can get your names together and mention you all in a tag, but I'm apparently too stupid to figure out how to delete quotes, so now this reply is flaming piece of phioma poop. I hope the quotes obstructing my reply and possible solution to the OP don't bother you all to much...

3 minutes ago, Zapha said:

But he wrote something about military services. If he's a black ops soldier how would that looks like if he wants to login into ARK while the operation?

So yes. He would fall under the category that I mentioned for players that need to switch to unofficial. Did you know that there is an unofficial server created for specifically military veterans? The sub communities that this game brings together is pretty amazing. That being said, if there are any active duty black ops soldiers out there, I highly doubt that they have the luxury, nor are they worried about finding time to play ark lmfao. 

Just now, Logan96 said:

So yes. He would fall under the category that I mentioned for players that need to switch to unofficial. Did you know that there is an unofficial server created for specifically military veterans? The sub communities that this game brings together is pretty amazing. That being said, if there are any active duty black ops soldiers out there, I highly doubt that they have the luxury, nor are they worried about finding time to play ark lmfao. 

Also I just realized that I said he* under the impression that said black op soldier was a man. Id like to correct this biased assumption and recognize females as being more than capable of serving in the military.  Sincere apologies to all active duty/female veterans. 

Archived