Trick to smooth heavily modded game?

P1nkDodo

Trick to smooth heavily modded game?

So I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place but here goes.

I'm looking to make a heavily modded game, probably on single player and I might introduce it to my cluster if it's a fun way to play. I know when I mod minecraft or skyrim there are "tricks" and a certain way to do things to make the game run smoother. But all I know about ark modding is that the bigger the file size of the mod the more it hurts performance.

I've done alot of googling and browsing forums but I can't really find anything with a guide to how mods work or effect the game. Like do the file sizes just effect load times or the running of the server overall? And then will it take longer to load into a server or to start up and play single player?

Can anyone point me in the direction of some articles or info so I can do my homework on it all a bit? Or is there really not much more to learn? I've seen some people playing seriously heavily modded games but I'm not sure how they achieve this other than having a beefy rig. Any thoughts? Thanks :)

Some mods are better optimised than others, try and use the more popular mods that are tried and tested. Some creature mods ruin the spawns for example so sometimes you have massive dino explosions. Also the biggest factor is the amount of mods you add, ive made servers with 25 mods and its not a nice experience, especially on SP where your machine is doing all the work. Atleast with a server some of it is done server side. 

Archived