This is shameful. 3-4 updates in under an hour?

Vas

This is shameful. 3-4 updates in under an hour?

Do you even test your patches before you release? Or do you just herpaderp push update button and wait for someone to shout "its broken fix it" and push another update?

Hell, it didn't even take me 5 minutes to find out almost all of the Genesis stuff is broken, had you even play tested before you released Genesis, you would have discovered that too. But nope, I don't even think you do. I can not fathom how you missed so many broken things or how you needed to push 4 updates in the last hour forcing servers to shut down multiple times kicking people out of the game repeatedly just to get the next patch making the game basically unplayable while you inefficiently handle game updates.

Like, geeze. Just because you fix a bug does not mean you push the update button. Wait till you've bulk fixed as many things as possible. I can understand a critical update like something causing a crash, but stupid tiny crap that doesn't really hurt anyone, can wait till a later patch. Half your patches so far don't even have patch notes, probably because you're too ashamed to admit it. Probably something like "Oops, I had a typo in this file so I had to push this update twice."

Honestly, I'm very annoyed. You should be doing a better job, it seems to me like you don't even play your own game. You're just pushing product on us without knowing how it works or what it does. There's just so many things wrong here it doesn't make sense that you'd miss it if you actually played your own game. Hell maybe if you were forced to play someone's server for a while, you yourselves would get the feeling "God, this sucks, we need to stop pushing updates every 10-20 minutes, I can't believe how bad it is for these players. We also need to fix these 18 things we somehow missed!"

I've tested for several games, talked directly with game devs not just indie, and good lord nothing has ever been as bad as this. I've always helped by compiling a list of bugs and providing ideas for workarounds and potential fixes for things, so that they can get as much patched and fixed as possible in one go. My goal was to satisfy as many people as possible, so was theirs. I've enjoyed talking with these devs, because they were passionate about their game, and wanted to play their own game, and see it evolve and were happy to see that the players were happy. What about you? Are your goals to make happy players? Or just to sell product?

Though, I'm betting this topic will be deleted instead of answered. Or ignored, which would be better than deleted and worse than being answered. I'm honestly curious if you, Wildcard, can answer this topic and explain why things are this bad. Why you can't test your own patches. Why you couldn't test your own DLC. Makes me wonder if you actually have a tester team or not, because if you do, they are terrible at it. I mean geeze. You should put me on the test team if your own testers are this bad at finding issues but, I doubt that'd happen. So, whatever. I'll leave my thoughts here, and hope that they get seen. If it gets deleted, I'll just find a way to email instead.

I'm sorry if my post is harsh, I'm just, frustrated with how things are right now.

It's a joke, I have a 9 map cluster and it's getting impossible to keep up, been several times in the last few days that I've started updating them and they've rolled another update out so I end up with servers on different versions and have to update the one's that have just been updated, I've shut the lot down now and stopped playing until things have settled down or WC actually sort themselves out and start testing things and sticking to one update every day or two

Yepp, it's been fun with our 6 cluster too, you update them, and 10 minutes later, a new patch arrives.

The scary thing is they seem to break things for alot of people too, currently 306.75, people can't use fliers. Oh, nm, we have 306.78 now, did that fix it?

Also, patch notes seem to be missing at times?

Thats not what is happening Olivar.

If Wildcard wants people to stop bitching, perhaps they should do a better job. Like not releasing bugs in the first place, and not patching one thing, then update, then patch another thing, then update. Test their damn patches before pushing them. Test their damn DLC before pushing it.

4 hours ago, Olivar said:
  • Fix bugs : people complain
  • Don't fix bugs : people complain

The problem is them releasing crap like this in the first place without doing proper beta testing. Much of the problems, crashes and issues could have been found and fixed before it screwed up everyones game. You would still have minor bugs and issues to fix after release, but not on this level. You also wouldn't have screwed up peoples saved games and settings.

@NSW, actually the settings are partially Steam's fault.

When there's a major version update, the game validates to make sure everything's right. And this causes the game.ini and gameusersettings.ini, among all the other ini files, to be reset to factory default.

Steam's validation resets the files because they are different.

Wildcard should have saved settings outside the game somewhere like in appdata, but they didn't. This would have solved the settings resetting every major version change. But it is unrelated to the updates specifically.

@Vas, it's not Steams fault at all. As you've said, Wildcrap should have stored the settings in a place that isn't touched. Basically, NOTHING but the game itself should ever touch anything inside the Saved folder. Content and settings should be generated by the game on first run. If a setting requires updating, then you have the game itself check and update that setting.

That said, i do wish Steam would offer us a way to block/refuse updates and a way to rollback to previous versions. Being on Linux, this would be wonderful as Wildcrap enjoys screwing up our clients at every turn and then not fixing them for weeks on end.

You all are pretty stupid thinking that a new release, even one fully vetted before release, will stand up perfectly under full test load scrutiny.

Also any server owner worth his salt knows you don't update a server until at least a couple days after any major patch is released, because there's always ALWAYS the possibility of game breaking bugs. Such as the time a patch was released that would wipe your server. If I was running one of your server clusters I would probably have waited at least a week after the release of the new DLC before implementing it because its 100% obvious it'd be a buggy mess for at least that long.

7 hours ago, Zen00 said:

You all are pretty stupid thinking that a new release, even one fully vetted before release, will stand up perfectly under full test load scrutiny.

Also any server owner worth his salt knows you don't update a server until at least a couple days after any major patch is released, because there's always ALWAYS the possibility of game breaking bugs. Such as the time a patch was released that would wipe your server. If I was running one of your server clusters I would probably have waited at least a week after the release of the new DLC before implementing it because its 100% obvious it'd be a buggy mess for at least that long.

I don't think anyone expects a flawless release even with testing, but issues that wipe servers/clients or completely break them because critical files were not included in the patch, those would have been caught and fixed. How about flyers not working where they should, that would have likely been caught. Its also highly possible they would have noticed some of the issues with the new creatures had they properly beta tested the damn thing. There will always be some balancing and bugs after a major launch, but the crap show that happens with Wildcard is always something far beyond special.

As for the server comment. You know the client version gets updated, right? The server can sit on the old version as long as it wants, but the client is still going to be forced to update and then it will not be able to talk to the server anymore. So while you can wait to update the server, those using it will lose the ability to login if its a major version change like this.

9 hours ago, Zen00 said:

I found many issues within 5 minutes of spawning the new things. It doesn't take that much effort to test your update for quick easy to find bugs.

Also, server updates and steam client updates are automatic. This game is built on the back of Steam, you can't not update. So your bull crap about not updating for several days is worthless drivel considering if you don't update, you can't play.

There is a way around updating the game, I can't quite rememeber how to do it though. You basically setup a shortcut on your desktop, stop the update when you start steam (or turn off auto updates or something like that) and run the game from the shortcut and you can play without updating. Used to do it all the time when I played on someone elses server in a different timezone so I wouldn't have to wait for him to get up/get home from work for the server to update. It'll be out there on google somewhere. And this is Wildcard, it was always gonna be a buggy trainwreck for afew weeks till they patch all the bad stuff. I backed up my whole cluster before the release, with a warning to other players that we might have to rollback, incase we lost stuff but other than our ini's reseting (which was a royal pain) we've had no issues. Personally I'm happy they're knuckling down and fixing the bugs so quickly, means the trainwreck won't last as long.

If your that unhappy Vas, in the nicest possible way, go play something else for afew weeks. It'll be back to normal soon enough. ?

4 minutes ago, P1nkDodo said:

If your that unhappy Vas, in the nicest possible way, go play something else for afew weeks. It'll be back to normal soon enough. ?

Yea, we should all just shut down our servers every time Wildcard releases a DLC and let the game sit idle and barren for a few weeks! No one would possibly leave your server forever if you did that~ Oh wait.

9 hours ago, Zen00 said:

i mean you'd think when creating the new creatures theyve added, that they would test them, the interaction with them is completely off, for the turtles you gotta glitch in their bodies to be able to tame them, the bloodstalkers hitbox sometimes is miles off to mount it, same witht he skiff. 
the moeder causes a serverwide lagg & sometimes leads to a chrash.
3 or 4 missions are impossible to complete because the hlna drone bugs out.
upon completing the master controller you receive rewards but it makes you respawn so you lose the rewards.
and these are just things considering genesis.

considering that they changed the coding on excisting items where their value number completely changed & were overwritten by some of the new item is just proof that theres no thinking process going on at WC.
but if you have that many gamebreaking issues you pushback a major update and either put it up for beta testing, or let your employees test it.

the fact that it even broke the flying on other maps is just proof that there was almost no testing done, and that when this DLC was already pushed back 2 months.
i personally had my hopes up that this would not be another update like abberation, but its actually worse.
its broken more excisting content then any other update before, and yes your counterargument would be 'that is because there is allot more content now than back then'.
but after 4 rough DLC releases with multiple delays, where they said that ark2 was in development with a new engine.. a spin off 'independent' version called atlas, yet they came out with this dlc, and actualy do worse then any other release that they did, they have a bad reputation for delivering on time, but isnt it about time that they try to prove to us their customers that they will put in the effort?

the fact that they were teasing on their twitter before the 'planned" release, and kept on teasing while they knew issues were ocurring shows that they still have not changed and at this point i can only see it going downhill with the next dlc supposidly coming out this winter, but lets be honest this will be in spring 2021 and thats being an optimist.

bringing out updates first without mentionning patch notes so server owners have no clue what happened to their servers, constant silence to their community when theres gamebreaking issues, yet they work on minor patches while the community is left in the dark.

16 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

So much this.

IKR?

Even after all this time, you'd expect people to understand the delicate work involved to create these systems and how a single parameter can have unforeseen consequences.
Software simply isn't easy and even with a full QA process and test-suites, stuff is going to break when deployed to production.

I love how the comments that bash people for being angry about bad updates are lazy inconsiderate no effort posts. All the people who agree that these updates are bad, actually provide reasonable detailed explanations about how this could have been averted and why its so bad. Its almost like those of us who have a brain, know things are bad and could be done better, while all the others are just trolls or low intellect gamers who don't care about anyone but themselves. Hmm.

By the way, yes, I know my post here is very insulting. Thank you, I'm glad you noticed. It was my intention.

On 3/1/2020 at 4:40 AM, dirtyson said:

I mean you'd think when creating the new creatures they've added, that they would test them

Here, we see an intelligent person who I summarized his post to keep this one short, explaining that a simple test, would have revealed their creatures unusable and broken beyond belief. I mean damn. I simply spawned the creature with the admin command, and couldn't even stand on it and found it was broken. How does Wildcard not do this? It takes 1 minute to put a command in, and cheat fly up on to it, and then walk on its back to find out whoops, you fall right through when it swims up. Did they even try to tame their own dinos that they made? Probably not, they just copy pasted taming code, set what it eats, and released it with no test whatsoever. A simple 5 minute test would have worked to find out the interaction range was wrong.

I spawned the skiff, I flew it around for a few minutes, landed on a ruin to get an explorer note. Whoops, skiff gets lodged inside the ruin, has to be cheat killed because its permanently broken. 5 minutes in and I find out that things broken. Among other glitches I had with it while moving.

Many of the broken things we've all found, took running the game for FIVE MINUTES and here you all are, with your low effort posts calling us bad because we expected Wildcard to actually release something right for a change.

@Olivar, if I was on the QA team, these releases would be released with no issues unless they ignored my bug reports. I am a master at finding issues apparently. In every game I've play tested, even private testing pre-release builds, I've found and reported every possible bug I could, many within the first hour of testing. With Ark, it doesn't even take that long, because the bugs are easy to find, so easy a 5 year old could find them. So why can't Wildcard? Why can't their QA team? Do they even have a QA team?

If it was one or two bugs that got missed, fine, whatever, it happens. But its hundreds. Its easy to see issues. Things that couldn't possibly have been missed.

God I wish I was on the QA team. I love the game, I had hopes for it, but I hate the development. I want to make it improve for everyone, to prevent travesties like this. I'm disabled so I'm home playing games all the time to pass the time, and this would be perfect for me as I'd be able to nail down every single possible issue in a matter of days and provide an entire work list of things that need immediate fixing before the release of content that could screw up everyone else's games. I would protest releasing without fixing critical issues. But you know, thats just me, thinking about the consumers, not about how to make as much money as possible by doing as little as possible. I know, its outdated thinking but it used to be quite popular to put the consumer first.

Well damn, it doesn't exist? I guess I didn't do QA for one game then because it didn't exist. Even though I did it. I among a select set of people tested before the release of the update a week, to a month before its release working out all the bugs and issues, so that when released, the players got an almost bug free game update that didn't break it in any severe ways. Some minor slight issues might have existed but after we finished our testing phase, the release was almost spotless. But you say that doesn't exist? Bummer. I must have imagined the whole thing. I guess I didn't test a game and get my name in the credits among the other testers who worked hard to ensure everyone else's experience was great. Oh wait.

• 3 months later...

Archived