dlc What DLC to buy?

ace05

I think maybe it depends what he likes to do in the game. And, worth noting, I've not played the brand new DLC. 

Scorched Earth has quite a similar feel to the island. Many of the same dinos. If he likes flying creatures, the Wyverns are likely to be good for him. But I do think it's a bit shallow when it comes to long term play. 

Aberration is my personal favourite. If he likes exploring on foot and taming in the wild, or is into glowing aesthetics, this is likely to be the best. There are no flying mounts (though there are gliders), so if he's really into flying over an open map, this won't be for him. It's got a very different feel to the original map, and it's very interesting to explore

Extinction is a bit of a weird one. I'm not sure it makes much sense unless you've got the lore of the others. If he likes the tek stuff, he'll likely love it, and not everyone cares about the story. It's got some interesting diversity, but I never really got into it. 

Hopefully that's some help to you

Well, you've picked a good time, there's a sale on. Asides from the new dlc (which he could wait for as he's just started playing) everything is dirt cheap. The base game + all the previous DLCs is £26 in the uk. You can buy all the previous dlcs without the base game as well, for less than that. Sale is on for another week.

1 hour ago, ace05 said:

What DLC to buy?

Hello. My brother has been playing a lot of Ark on the Ps4 lately, and I was thinking about buying one or two DLCs for him. He only plays PvE, singleplayer, and I‘m personally clueless about the DLCs. Would be great if you could help me decide :)

The DLC In ark has storyline that that builds upon itself so to play the story in order you should start with scorched earth, aberration, extinction and the newly released genesis. If your brother cares care about the story line then play them in that order. 

That being said, ark is more about the sandbox than the story, so here is a run down of the dlc maps to help you decide:

SCORCHED EARTH: A fantasy based map that is entirely desert. Fun at first, but eventually the water and heat management, along with the same old environment becomes tedious and redundant. The DLC does however include some of the coolest tames, such as the wyvern and rock golem, but these can also be tamed on free a free downloadable map called ragnorak. I can't recommend this map due to poor implementation...example: It's the smallest map, but has the fastest flying mount...ok...

Aberration (winner!): This map is stands out as being more sci-fi than Jurassic. Toxic spores, radioactive environments and aliens. Brutal environment that forces the player to navigate caves and verticality in order to escape/survive. Pretty much everywhere but spawn will be hostile, but for single player this map will provide the most challenge.Based on personal experience this map also has the highest level of detail, comparable to the island. 

Extinction: A neat balance between sci-fi and fantasy. The nice thing about this map is that it has a variety of biomes, dense forests, cold tundras, and hot deserts, as well as desolate wastelands. The creatures in this map are a combination of western fantasy and sci-fi (personally they went too far in this expansion and broke emmersion). This map is the largest out of the three, but also feels the most empty, with the majority or the map being wasteland and lacking substantial content.

Extra thoughts: Between these three maps, I would consider aberration to be the most bang for your buck, due to the  level of detail and challenge, but you will need to decide if your brother values atmosphere (scorched), detail(aberration), or size (extinction).

Archived