Sorry Wildcard, Genesis map is a big failure.

Qeythos

I agree , the map is interesting and everything,  but there is no way to get real blueprint that are useful for game progress. The patching on the Ferox ? Seriously ? Agree again  why do you patch a creature that is completly useless, expensive to tame annoying to breed etc... This just look cute like a bloody pikachu on pokemon but sorry not sorry , this is Ark not pokemon... And this is just the beginning, I understand that you maybe want to increase the diffficulty, but not having blueprint to progress is not raising the difficulty at all, it is just taking gamers hostage from a game where progress is impossible and become meaninless. Just fix the red crate at least put some interesting and usefull blueprint inside and not berrys that anyone can get on early game stage, this is a huge joke. Shame on you...

My advice, take out this lame useless ferox and put blueprint but usefull ones for game progress at least in the red crate.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a cool idea for the map.. But it's like they never played their own game..  For example: You can get items for "dinos" you can't even optain on this map, this is a big no-brainer to not let this happen before launch.
- Oh you want to make an ocean platform? Yeah shame you can't build a gate on it, because it's "Too high above ground", nah you can't build more than 3 walls below it either, oh you want to build a bridge to connect to platforms? Nah forget about it. 

Then there are a thousand glitches and bug, not small ones, but game breaking bugs.  I've had 4 dinos randomly die for no reason while mounted, teleports that doesn't work, missions that doesn't work, HLNA that doesn't work, mission and loot crate rewards are garbage. Man I could write a book about it. 

And then there is the amount of coels spawning in the ocean, probably why ocean biome is so laggy.... 

Dont know what your Problem  xD isnt it Cool to see how all Alpha Tribes killed every Boss in 2 Days on Alpha and Abused every poop and dont get any Punishment or Whipe and now where everything is fixed ( how ever this bugs can come if you normaly test your stuff before go live ) and made more Hard, we normal players are the raptored ones who can go This in a few Months :) 

Loot is slowly being fixed on loot crates, but yes, the quality of missions rewards isn't going to improve, and well, it shouldn't. Honestly speaking Genesis is good, but no balancing was made prior to release and they are fixing stuff at a AWFULLY slow pace. If you really don't know where to get your loot, I may give you some directions. For example, do Hide and Sink for Rex / Rhino saddles, Hunting by Moonlight for Tek Rifles, The Rhino 500 for Tek Swords, and so on. It does not lack content (actually got more than Extinction, still less than Aberration), but it is not very user-friendly and a lot of missions are mind-boggling hard or impossible (only few).

Only beautiful biomes are Lunar and Ocean. Volcano got a nice cave but that's it, also it sucks to build on both Volcano and Lunar, for obvious reasons. Ocean is nice and a good place to build, but suffers from sudden FPS drops and exert great stress on internet connections, for whatever reasons I simply don't know. TL;DR: You are likely to get a DC while diving there.

But overall, I'm enjoying the experience. So far the coolest tekgrams ever. We just didn't get much quality in gameplay mechanics, but that should improve over time. By now, if you get fed with all the Genesis BS, make yourself a Hover Skiff on whatever map you enjoy and start taming, traveling or what you like the most, whatever it is, until things get better.

And no, I don't think anyone did Alpha Master Controller just yet. In theory, it's just the same thing as Gamma and Beta, but the boss got much more health (which does not mean much in the face of some pumps). In practice you don't get to see that because there aren't enough possible missions to unlock it; I'd also like to point that you don't need extremely powerful tames, saddles and even weapons for it (a 200%+ pump will do), but some stupidly good skills, luck, a lot of materials and a crazy variety of creatures. Oh and a lot of tribe mates. Still, about half will die be it on Gamma or Beta, it's the same thing more or less.

Moeder is easy and not only "alphas" should be able to do it.

11 hours ago, Darkholis said:

@TorakWolf I can't wait to do this as part of my solo series...

I'll try it (gamma and maybe beta) with a few tribemates on my other account this week. Our plan is to take a theriz army (mutated : 8.5k hp, 900% dmg on hatch) + yuti, along with proper gear.

Theris are cool but I'd bring Kentros as unmounted creatures, since they have about the same base damage as Theris with the pack bonus and retribute melee damage taken.

However, the fact that you can't put saddles on them means that you need to pump around 20k HP so they can survive on cakes alone, and thus you need to get a lot of wild levels on HP to use less tamed levels on it.

I also recommend Ferox for pump-action usage and emergency clearings.

See? You quickly go from a fight where you bring 2-3 different creatures to a whole variety of 5.

3 minutes ago, TorakWolf said:

Theris are cool but I'd bring Kentros as unmounted creatures, since they have about the same base damage as Theris with the pack bonus and retribute melee damage taken.

However, the fact that you can't put saddles on them means that you need to pump around 20k HP so they can survive on cakes alone, and thus you need to get a lot of wild levels on HP to use less tamed levels on it.

I also recommend ferox for pump-action usage and emergency clearings.

See? You quickly go from a fight where you bring 2-3 different creatures to a whole variety of 5.

Yeah, kentros are fun, especially against titans. I'll see how it goes and try to record the whole thing.

On 2/29/2020 at 3:50 AM, Vibrio said:

Agreed genesis sucks.

The part of ark I loved was the immersion of feeling like I was in a real island surviving, ,kinda breaks immersion when you run into rectangular hexagonal walls all the time.   Genesis is 5 or 6 stupid rectangles that don't transition into one another.  And a glooming dark swamp is the only easy start point where you immediately get chased by swarm after swarm of unkillable flies.  What is the point of this map.  Seems like they invented one cool dino per biome then just made some crappy maps around them so they could package up and see the next crappy installment of ark.

I agree.  I liked that fact that the previous maps were immersive, felt like a real world.  With genesis you have warping ,  invisible walls, a HNLA where you can now purchase items.  All that makes it feel like a video game, which it is of course it is but im sure you know what I mean.  I also do not like the map designs.  The volcano seems to restrict you to paths rather than a open landscape.  The winter biome is like a maze.  If you want to go to point A to B, you have to know the map and the particular route rather than just heading in a general direction and finding your way.  The bog biome seems well designed and looks good.  But the others just seem to be cookie cutter maps that are different colors.  Only 1 cave?  I loved exploring caves.  I also do not like the progression of increasingly fantasy creatures.  A flying whale in space?  

Anyways, just my opinion.  I know many people like the new changes.  To each there own but im going back to the previous maps for now.  Looking forward to crystal isles.  Hope it is more of the previous stuff instead of incorporating Genesis features.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 3:59 PM, Qeythos said:

The map itself is too restrictive compared to other maps. Not being able to ride a dino between the biomes like previous maps is a fail. Trying to use HLN-A can be a nightmare as it tends to just zip away most of the time you attempt to interact wih it. Not being able to use flying mounts on an open map is a fail unless it is a bug or locked behind progression. It just doesn't make sense other then function as a brake on the rate at which people can obtain resources. The only thing working on the tek suit is the helmet's vision modes and air, but nothing else? A big, fat, fail. Imposing restrictions rather then building the map to take already existing methods into account is always going to be a fail, regardless of game. This has already been proven plenty of times in the past, just google it, no need to repost it all here. You'd need a library for that much information, not a thread in a forum.

I started a new character in the bog biome and by the time the initial white screen went away and i could see the enviorment my character was pretty much dead, at around 10% health from deadly gas and the infernal insect swarms that are literally everywhere you go. They need to be toned down. You kill one swarm and 3 will take its place in seconds. It also rains 99% of the time and the fog's so thick you can barely see a thing. A real bog doesn't have near-constant rain. All the effects are causing a lot of lag on a standard PS4 without a solid state drive. Of course i could install a solid state drive but if the game won't work smoothly on the hardware that the console came with then it just simply wasn't designed right and needs to be tweaked, end of story. While mounted the game pauses between 2 - 5 seconds every 50 or so feet traveled. Hopefully this will get optimized over time.

So far i have checked out the bog, snow, and ocean biomes and the only place i would even think of building is on the back of a Megachelon and i doubt i'll find much of anything in the volcanic or lunar biomes where i would want to build. Base building is a big part of this game after all yet Genesis clearly wasn't designed with that in mind but instead made to fit only a portion of the playerbase of the game, mostly people who prefer to play PvP but i'm tired of constantly running into people who can't PvP without using glitches, and then calling you trash, in pretty much any game, not just ARK, so i don't play PvP anymore unless it's with friends who i know will play legit. For PvE this map is lacking, a lot. Sure, there are missions to do but i haven't tried any of them yet so can't comment on them. What i have read from other peoples comments on them i don't even know if i want to.

Something that I found, that works, is once you've tamed the flyer, is to then use ForceTame on the flyer in order to ride it. I do hope they eventually allow us to fly our mounts normally. 

Everyone who complains doesn’t know what Genesis is it’s a waystation and a test your not supposed to have a 100 by 100 full Tek 10 story base for a huge roleplay out of Minecraft your can survive with a Bronto with a platform saddle with loaded turrets, an Electrical Generator, a Tek Rep, some storage, and a lot of health and weight to the bronto and the restrictions all make sense given the fact that Genesis leans heavily on the ARK Story you can expect Missions and what not plus flying restrictions so you can’t travel everywhere quickly, walking restrictions so you can’t just run from your problems, and a more difficult challenge because it’s a test and it’s not supposed to be an ARK it’s supposed to be more like Aberration because it’s not real it’s a simulation to test survivors to insure that they are able to handle the challenge of the second Genesis Simulation or Genesis pt. 2 and it’s supposed to weed out all the lazy people who don’t want to do it and complain about everything that THEY see wrong and waste everyone else’s time and resources or the people who have others do everything for them and can’t get stuff done with out GCM and go to your server admins about the lag and whatnot or get on a server closer to where you live and I’m not talking to the people in which that the hardships of Genesis just aren’t for them but you don’t have to play on the map and get yourself mad and dissuade someone who would love the map from getting it because then they’d miss out on something that would have been the best experience of their lives

I have to admit, I am a lazy Ark'er. I prefer Ragnarok. But then again, what's more entertaining? PvE or PvP. With easy resources, PvP will spike. You will see more advanced tribes and advanced bobs raiding each other every day. That's what's fun for me about Ark. Not boring PvE Survival. In my opinion, Genesis should have a completely different set of settings and restrictions for each game mode. 

I think Genesis is actually more entertaining than any of the previous maps. It offers more in the ways of content, some unique challenges and of course more flavors of dinos.  As a PVE player, it's my favorite map out of all of them. Extinction was a close second, but the stability and issues with terrible loot drops in the caves, and continuous griefing by players kiting dinos into our bases, I find myself finally feeling a little more at home with Genesis.  

Couple of minor irritations as of the last announcement, we really need to have those ocean platforms made so you can't just up and delete em without confirmation. Lost two builds to mishaps so far. Ocean missions are still really buggy, especially the Alpha missions, most of the time you can't complete em and when ya do, the loot is crap for all difficulty levels. The reward should be at least remotely close to the effort you have to put into them.   Another irritating thing involves the volcanic eruptions, I don't mind the eruptions but with people lagging out the servers or maybe the servers are just lagging who knows, but with that going on, having it DC you in the middle of an eruption and insta-dismounting and killing you sucks. Something needs to be done about that, either let protective gear give you a chance to survive, or don't allow it to dismount on disconnect for a set period of time. At least then we got some chance of getting back on and getting mounted before being incinerated.  

All in all however, I think Genesis is one of those maps that you either love or hate, in my case I love to hate it, but at the end of the day, it's still my favorite map lol.

From a PvE perspective, I have to say I love this DLC as much as I loved Aberration and more so than Extinction.

I think it's key for them to provide a somewhat different experience with each DLC, otherwise having just another map where everything is the same is just...wears off way too fast. Like Valquero. A great map for sure, but you quickly realise it's the exact same old stuff. With this in mind I also like the lack of flyers because it does force a very different gameplay and like others have said, once you get flyers, you spent most of the time actually hovering above the map because it really is too convenient and safe. Plus, if we're honest the bloodstalker would be kind of useless when you can just use fliers.

I love the distinct biomes and the addition of the unique environmental hazards in each one, even if some can be somewhat annoying...but then again if they were just for show, they wouldn't add the flavour,so I'm fine with it. The water biome in particular is incredible ( I almost wish there was complete water biome map like this with the occasional large islands you can build on).

Alas, although they've finally fleshed out the environment and made it very interesting, it does reveal that there isn't enough water dino/creature variety (eco system and creature functionalities) to make it as interesting as the normal environments. Adding the Liopleurodon as a normal tame and maybe a couple of more water creatures would have been a huge bonus and I'm surprised they missed that opportunity in the same way as they made the Megalosaurus finally take centre stage in Aberration (I think they should have added moths in the blue biome maybe..just fits the thematically...) . Maybe change the behaviour of some creatures like Itchy being in packs like wolves or Basilos in pods of 3 like Allos?  Everything almost agrro on everything unlike land creatures where you wouldn't have a wolf agrro on a Rex, so it's missing that creature balance you get on land.

Similarly why not use Brachios, Stygi, Styra (existing assets) if you've re-skinned most other dinos to just give that extra flavour ti this map without messing with dino stats and as X-dinos look even more distinct)

The underwater sealed chambers are also a genius addition and stunning for base building areas(though I kind of wish there were Crabs around them offering a bit of surprise danger).

The missions are also a great addition although the hunts are somewhat repetitive and I wish they had a bit more flavour, variety and surprises in them....maybe should have been designed/fleshed out a bit more like the 'raids' in other titles?

Teleportation between areas may not be a nice as simply travelling to them, however if the reason was technical, to allow higher level of complexity/rendering and environmental effects, then it was a good trade off.

Granted, like most tings it's far from perfect, but it provides exactly what I expect from a new DLC, which is real variety and changes in gameplay experience.I do wish they're a little more bold with it and create larger, more unique pools of dedicated creatures in each map, removing existing ones(not just adding as there is only so much variety a server/engine can handle) and replacing them with other creating different dynamics. 

All in all, it's a great effort and I'm looking forward to the TLC and the new DLC around Christmas...hopefully on the PS5

On 4/27/2020 at 9:30 PM, Mideczj said:

I have to admit, I am a lazy Ark'er. I prefer Ragnarok. But then again, what's more entertaining? PvE or PvP. With easy resources, PvP will spike. You will see more advanced tribes and advanced bobs raiding each other every day. That's what's fun for me about Ark. Not boring PvE Survival. In my opinion, Genesis should have a completely different set of settings and restrictions for each game mode. 

I understand because I’m a PvP player myself but coming from someone who built an alpha base and became alpha in 5 days you can do the same on Genesis sure there aren’t natural places to build a base but you can make somewhere that’s what tree, cliff, and ocean platforms are for on my current server my base is 3 cliff platforms and my secondary/fake base is a tree platform but you can put down an ocean platform in the ocean biome even two or three and they don’t have to be together because you can still use a tek teleporter and you’ll say what about basic resources you can build an island base those have trees and whatnot on them or build on the back of a Megacheleon or use tek vacuum compartment or go to the bog and put down a tree platform or find a side of a mountain or island somewhere and build a cliff platform you can build a workable bade that you can easily defend and your probably saying what about my dinos BUILD A CRYOFRIDGE AND POWER IT so you can make a great base Genesis PvP you just need to know how yo build a base in the first place your not limited to what’s on the ground and fixed the flyer problem you can use tek teleporters or  pump an already fast dino with movement speed

Read some more comments and there’s nothing to say about those glitches again either talk to your admins or leave a suggestion to Wildcard and check the community crunches because Wildcard is trying but there are a lot of bugs and they are trying to keep on schedule for the release of Crystal Isles to keep the game popular because then people will have more content because Genesis has only been out for about five months so give Wildcard time to fix it because with what the map is and how big of a job it is there will be a lot of maintenance in the coming months and if it is giving you a lot of trouble right now go play one of the other 7 maps until Genesis is fixed up

On 4/29/2020 at 11:07 AM, KingOfAshes said:

From a PvE perspective, I have to say I love this DLC as much as I loved Aberration and more so than Extinction.

I think it's key for them to provide a somewhat different experience with each DLC, otherwise having just another map where everything is the same is just...wears off way too fast. Like Valquero. A great map for sure, but you quickly realise it's the exact same old stuff. With this in mind I also like the lack of flyers because it does force a very different gameplay and like others have said, once you get flyers, you spent most of the time actually hovering above the map because it really is too convenient and safe. Plus, if we're honest the bloodstalker would be kind of useless when you can just use fliers.

I love the distinct biomes and the addition of the unique environmental hazards in each one, even if some can be somewhat annoying...but then again if they were just for show, they wouldn't add the flavour,so I'm fine with it. The water biome in particular is incredible ( I almost wish there was complete water biome map like this with the occasional large islands you can build on).

Alas, although they've finally fleshed out the environment and made it very interesting, it does reveal that there isn't enough water dino/creature variety (eco system and creature functionalities) to make it as interesting as the normal environments. Adding the Liopleurodon as a normal tame and maybe a couple of more water creatures would have been a huge bonus and I'm surprised they missed that opportunity in the same way as they made the Megalosaurus finally take centre stage in Aberration (I think they should have added moths in the blue biome maybe..just fits the thematically...) . Maybe change the behaviour of some creatures like Itchy being in packs like wolves or Basilos in pods of 3 like Allos?  Everything almost agrro on everything unlike land creatures where you wouldn't have a wolf agrro on a Rex, so it's missing that creature balance you get on land.

Similarly why not use Brachios, Stygi, Styra (existing assets) if you've re-skinned most other dinos to just give that extra flavour ti this map without messing with dino stats and as X-dinos look even more distinct)

The underwater sealed chambers are also a genius addition and stunning for base building areas(though I kind of wish there were Crabs around them offering a bit of surprise danger).

The missions are also a great addition although the hunts are somewhat repetitive and I wish they had a bit more flavour, variety and surprises in them....maybe should have been designed/fleshed out a bit more like the 'raids' in other titles?

Teleportation between areas may not be a nice as simply travelling to them, however if the reason was technical, to allow higher level of complexity/rendering and environmental effects, then it was a good trade off.

Granted, like most tings it's far from perfect, but it provides exactly what I expect from a new DLC, which is real variety and changes in gameplay experience.I do wish they're a little more bold with it and create larger, more unique pools of dedicated creatures in each map, removing existing ones(not just adding as there is only so much variety a server/engine can handle) and replacing them with other creating different dynamics. 

All in all, it's a great effort and I'm looking forward to the TLC and the new DLC around Christmas...hopefully on the PS5

This comment is exactly what I mean don’t look at just the negatives because then everything is bad look a little beyond what everything else has been because then Genesis is what it should be what all ARK DLC’s are, diverse

• 4 months later...

I don't think genesis is such a fail, it takes a while to get use to. Is a harder than then the usual maps  but that is an advantage for building bases since alot of players won't be easily scoring around to raid you. Flyers are broken and having no flyers let's u actually be able to use land tame with out being worried to be picked upso actually give you options to use way more other tames that are render useless on other maps.

On 3/20/2020 at 10:54 AM, SLlCK said:

Maybe on your map, on ours it's a one shot deal.  Once the metal is mined it's gone for good, there is no such thing as respawning metal, and the trees? About half of those respawn, takes a little over a week.  So every single project we do that requires metal we have to go and search for hours to find unmined nodes.  Which sucks because everyone has to go together to find the meatal each time because we have a tether because wildcard is to lazy/dumb to fix the servers.   

You play on Unofficial? You can turn up the resource respawn rate.

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2020 at 8:26 AM, BigFatBoy said:

We really love it! My fiancee and I streamed for 3 hours yesterday, and we did nothing (in terms of progression). We were dying multiple times. And it's really great! It's survival. People are too spoiled with maps such as Ragnarok, where map poops with resources of all kind and you don't need to worry about anything.
One thing I don't understand is flyers. I mean, ok, you cannot fly, I understand that but why developers put flyers on the map in the first place? Someone can be disappointed when he/she use precious resources to tame flyer and realise that you cannot fly on it.

What are you talking about? The bog biome is literally full of metal and crystal, like every big tree have "metal basement". And not yet talking about the shop system where you can by every basic resource  even not basic element, cyro pod etc. If you say you don’t have to worry about anything on the ragnarok map, then the same is true for the genesis map. Do some easy quest and you not just can buy by hexagons what you earn after the mission, you even earn loots like armors, and saddles, and weapons, and ammunition.

I think Gen is hit and miss - some really cool features and beautiful design, but some buggy behavior (literal and metaphorical) and a little conceptually sloppy. 

The map design is good - some beautiful spots and good variety.  The environmental dangers are really cool - it is nice to have to stay on your toes in some of the biomes. 

The teleportation inconsistencies are lame, but not entirely game breaking - an occasional lost tame, and sometimes you start getting attacked before you can see, react or move. 

I happen to like the no-flyer rule - it makes the map feel a lot bigger and adds back threats that you just don't have to worry about on other maps.  Think back to when you first started playing Ark - the maps were huge.  Then you get an OP wyvern and the big map with the drama of potential threats gets reduced to a small map with no worries. 

The missions are also hit & miss - some are cool, some are silly.  I think it is an overall win in adding variety and challenge that didn't exist before.

I am not a big fan of the concept of seperate biomes that you have to teleport to, but I have had a good deal of fun on gen.  I think it is better than Scorched Earth - with all the variety I think it is as fun as Ab and Ext, despite some of the bugginess.

Building should have been completely restricted on the whole map, except for platform saddles, rafts and skiffs (that should be transferable). You go in, do missions and go out again. As long as you are inside the simulation you are a nomad, surviving with what you brought with you.

You also should not be able to tame simulated dinos within a simulation. But they could have made it possible to get genesis creatures via loot crates (Fertilized Eggs, Babys in cryopods) or something. Also the hexagon shop seems like a test for a real money shop to me and i dont like where this might be leading us to.

Also dont like that the opportunity to start the Bossfight is now bound to the character because characters easily are deleted in Ark and with them all this hours of doing missions.

Archived