Sorry Wildcard, Genesis map is a big failure.

Qeythos

32 minutes ago, ProtocoL said:

Oh my God.  I don't know that I have ever seen such a whiny bunch of kids.  It amazes me that some of the supposed 'hardened vets' of ARK would complain that the new Genesis map is TOO DIFFICULT.  It absolutely is not.  You are supposed to adapt!  That is is specifically what ARK is about.  It would be boring if they just gave us the same exact thing that they have previously given before.  

I play on PC, and the game absolutely is not buggy.  It flowed smoothly.  HNLA operates properly.  It took me and my mates a little time to figure out how teleporting works, how moving to another map works, and how missions work.  But that is the beauty of it.  That is where you have fun!  I remember the very first time that I logged into ARK.  I got skinned and eaten by a raptor within 30 seconds.  I thought that it was the coolest thing!  Then I proceeded to become raptor food 3 more times.  So I adapted, and spawned in a different area.  Then I was able to build and level a bit.  Me and two other tribe members took our rock drakes into the bog and winter biomes and had a blast!  The OP on this thread sounds like a whiny, spoiled brat.  Swamps have more rain, and ARE foggy!! Deal with it kiddo.  Learn to adapt!  We got nailed by avalanches in the winter biome.  So where to we build a base?  On a really high cliff.  I truly appreciate Wildcards stance of making the people work harder and smarter.  That is what survival is about.

No flyers?  Deal with it.  Adapt.  Go tame a rock drake.  They work perfectly.  They can jump and glide through the maps.  And they can climb all of the cliffs.  This game is not rocket science.

Wildcard has done a stellar job with this expansion.  The pricing is perfect.  $30 for two expansions?  That is pocket change for that much content!  If you cannot afford a measly $30, get a better job, or do some more chores to get a better allowance.  That fact that I am seeing many thread of these people wanting to be spoon-fed in ARK is laughable.  I can guarantee you that they are just like that as well in real life.  Too many of these gamers spend ALL of their time on unofficial servers that gives them everything that they want.  I truly do not understand how the game can be fun playing that way.  You have no risk to get the reward.  You have no pride in your work.

By the sounds of it you are playing on a PC Custom Server that allows dino transfers. A lot of people are playing on official and cannot transfer dinos or items. Not saying you are wrong about the other stuff just pointing out this one fact. 

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Darkholis said:

Get a refund and git good really.

Genesis is the most polished product they released since Aberration. Yes they could have done a better job at communication and letting us know that no flyers was in effect, then what? Adapt ffs, it's a survival game.

Extinction was by far the worst fiasco they released. Let's not talk about titans, managarmrs, gachas, among other things....

I absolutely agree.  Well, all but one thing.  The get a refund part.  The dude is complaining about falling off of a cliff two times.  Not once, but twice.  I am think about offering him some survival training if he will mine stone for me.

3 minutes ago, Jtazmania said:

By the sounds of it you are playing on a PC Custom Server that allows dino transfers. A lot of people are playing on official and cannot transfer dinos or items. Not saying you are wrong about the other stuff just pointing out this one fact. 

Good point Jlazmania.  Yes, that is correct.  I still stand by my point of "Adapt".  If a person decides to play on an official server, then they made that choice.  They have to deal with the rules on that environment.  It is purely their choice to play on those servers.  There are plenty of unofficial server clusters that allow you to join for free that offer great starter packs.  Join a good tribe that will help you get a foot hold in the environments.  I seriously do not understand a person that explicitly makes choices, and then complains and whines about the results of their own decisions.

16 minutes ago, ProtocoL said:

Good point Jlazmania.  Yes, that is correct.  I still stand by my point of "Adapt".  If a person decides to play on an official server, then they made that choice.  They have to deal with the rules on that environment.  It is purely their choice to play on those servers.  There are plenty of unofficial server clusters that allow you to join for free that offer great starter packs.  Join a good tribe that will help you get a foot hold in the environments.  I seriously do not understand a person that explicitly makes choices, and then complains and whines about the results of their own decisions.

This. I only play on official and understand what im getting into. I've been playing continuously since day 1 of the cluster so Im in it for the long game.

Breeding times... Ill be here a year from now playing so no biggie.

Pillars... It took over a year but outlasted all our neighbors and now I have pillars out to structure render range so I don't have to see peoples ugly boxes from my base.

Its not for everyone but if your long haul players like my tribe official isn't that bad. A lot of it is rolling with the punches and planning extensively for anything that can go wrong.

1 hour ago, Vulfpeck said:

Genesis sucks.

Got on, in the snow, built a small base and built a flyer and a small dino trap in under 30 minutes. Placed a bed down before first death. Success 

Put up a war map to view entire map, noticed different biomes that aren't connected. Lame

Trapped a 135 argent. KOd at 45 minutes. Cool

Found ovis, set up spike walls to protect it for the next hour. Awesome

Ran around gathering materials and building up. Meh

65 minutes into the map my character fell into a pit that is impossible to get out of without climbing picks or grappling hook. Stuck there until death by hypothermia 5 minutes later, all tools were lost. Damn

Over 2 hours in, argentavis tamed only to find out you cannot fly any dinos.. DILO

Under 3 hours, character falls into the same pit as before. I logged off. What a dumb map. 

I want a refund..

no need for beds anymore, you just teleport to an area and build your base there.  Every time you teleport you will end up in the same spot, kind of removes the whole point of beds.

Why didn't you just teleport out of there?  Stuck somewhere? teleport out,  freezing to death? teleport to a warm area until your health is back up, as long as you can find a few seconds of safety you can teleport yourself out of trouble most of the time.

Genesis is the most fun I've had in Ark for a while it is an Excellent DLC. But I can see if you ignored all the info that came out and expected a map like the previous ones for some insane reason. If you play it as it seems to be designed it is good fun and then the stuff you earn can be exported to another map. 

I can still see the map isn't for everyone it is much harder than the others and more story driven. From the Server I play on it seems people love it. Its the most people I've seen on for a while. 

And you have to honestly expect outdated consoles to have issues with modern games. 

24 minutes ago, MeduzazudeM said:

just until that moment when transfers open and ppl place velos at spawn sites :D

Genesis Extinction is a joke. Fact. Its a joke that looks good, true, but still an utter and complete disaster.

Fixed it for you. That DLC alone destroyed the entire PvP/PvE meta up to this day.

18 hours ago, St1ckyBandit said:

Completely disagree. I've only been in the bog so far except for a quick spawn and peek around the other biomes and I absolutely love it EXCEPT for the insect swarms, those are broken as hell.

True, it is definitely not an "easy" zone but the aesthetic of the bog is beautiful. It might be the best looking swamp I've ever seen in a game.

Briefly went down into the ocean and wow once again it is beautiful. So much more detailed than the ocean in any other map. Cant wait to explore it more.

It's day 2, everything is brand new and therefore harder. Give the map some time before you just throw your hands up and declare it a fail. Jesus people are so quick to quit something when it's not easy as pie.

Honestly, from what I've seen in all the threads over Reddit and this site it's a bunch of PvPers that don't like the new map because the dinosaurs are a lot harder to deal with and you can't zerg everything to become an alpha tribe in the first hour.  

I've loved EVERYTHING about this new map, from how hard things are instead of handing everything to you on a silver platter from hour one. That gets boring and if I wanted that I would go play back on the island or something else that was made as a far more easy map. 

The fact that the biomes are split up makes sense - Remember, it's a SIMULATION, not a new world we are on like Aberration or even Extinction was. We are in something that's not real and is meant, lore wise, as a means to gather data. That being said, don't like not being able to run on foot or fly from one biome to another, you don't have to complain about it, just move on. Do your research on what it's going to be like before buying the game, playing for 3 hours, then soldiering on a forum about how trash it is. 

Negative reviews about how everything is utter trash instead of highlighting as well what they did well (and let's all be real, they did a LOT right) is how games and companies die. Yes, the swarms are tough and might need to be toned down. However they aren't super hard to deal with - Just use a torch, go 3rd person and swat at the ground. They die quickly. Too many in rapid succession is annoying, so to combat it just hide in a house until the sound is gone. Easy. Best fix? No. But it's not bad in the interim until they get around to tweaking things. 

From what it sounds like.. You just don't like the challenge that this new map provides, or perhaps it's the fact you can't teleport across the biomes in under .5 seconds like you can with a mod. The in-game teleport is a system purposefully implemented so that you think about your choices on where you hide out to teleport instead of 'oh I'm in the middle of 50 sabers and need out YESTERDAY, lemme tele'. 

Take another few days, play through it legitimately without thinking soley on the bad and I think you'd be surprised just how much fun it is to have to struggle and truly survive, as Genesis is the first map to really make you have to fight to live and get past a wooden shack in the middle of nowhere. And while I realize not everyone can play on a PC because they are fairly expensive rigs to not only buy and have, but maintain for optimal play, but I've never had any luck, be it base game or private unmodded servers, on anything but a PC. Sorry that PS4 is that bad that the game experience is being reduced to nigh zero for you.

10 hours ago, BigPoppaDots said:

Teleports take to long, even awesome teleports mod is faster and prolly hasn't been updated for a year.  Used it on Genesis. No place to build is just brutal. It's by far the nicest biomes I've ever seen. Feels restricted. Not into playing dodo basketball or half the mission tbh. 

I bought Ark for Ark ......this feels like a different game. It's really not that hard to survive,  not sure what all the fuss is about on that. Huge fan of wildcard so I wont get a refund and would rather support them. End of day. It's just not Ark. Just a stupid mission board.

Totally agree with you . I've purchased Ark to play the game I like but Genesis isn't really Ark . Map separated to little zones feels so claustrophobic , even more with those mission zones restricted for builders . No allowing to fly when map spawns flyers is another huge mistake . Definitly not my game any more 

My main concern is with WC directly. During the entire process of launching Genesis, the entire Nitrado network was down and thus I couldn't manage servers for other games and thus impacted my playerbase....

Honestly, I should receive credited time on all my servers for the time I couldn't access the services I paid for.

Totally agree with you . I've purchased Ark to play the game I like but Genesis isn't really Ark . Map separated to little zones feels so claustrophobic , even more with those mission zones restricted for builders . No allowing to fly when map spawns flyers is another huge mistake . Definitly not my game any more 
They alr said genesis will be very different. And genesis is a simulation not a space station like the other arks so of course its not like them.

21 hours ago, GP said:

The Devs have said for months that Genesis will be very different from what we were used to with Ark, so experiencing something very different from the other DLCs should have been expected.

The small build areas is likely due to the fact this DLC is meant to be considered as a simulation, each biome is a simulation. A simulation would suggest that it is not the place for a proper permanent base build. Also as there are missions to be completed you can't have huge boring metal boxes blocking the way.

People complain about lack of build space whilst not fully understanding what Genesis is.

The no flyers I can understand similar to Aberration. But I can also understand why people are not happy about it as there was no communication regarding the fact you can't fly, even though flying wild dinos can be tamed but not used, that was a mistake in my opinion.

But overall, I think it is way too early to say that Genesis was a fail, because most people's opinions are based on them not understanding what Genesis was meant to be in the first place.

I for 1 didn't buy the map. But it would be better to let someone know what their getting into being vauge isn't a good business model. Wildcard wasn't vauge with Abberation, I personally love that map. On a side note I am very impressed with the shop I'd love to see it added to the base game.

Map looks beautiful but those force-fields everywhere are very annoying. Imo these biomes should be connected together , even if it means by a crazy way with fractured chunks of landscape etc. Its a simulation after all, why wouldn't snow biome or ocean biome be connected into lunar biome? Talk about crazy stuff but that could work and put to use a lot of dinos, flyers and even engrams from others DLC to utilize here like tek bridges or ziplines.

You can see a passion behind this DLC and a lot of work but honestly, this DLC feels like it wasn't created for "us" community. What community wished for was more primitive content, bigger map with varied biomes ( or merged ones like Ragnarok , not mentioning Valguero because valg aberration is absolutely terrible ). In-game shop is like why? I would rather have some cool dungeons to explore and use my dino with, be it underwater dungeon or any surface one. Hey i dont mind more tek stuff,  its neato.

What has happened since Aberration? So far its the best DLC ever created?

• it has varied biomes
  • its actuallly gets progressively harder
  • a good progression with content
  • amazing creatures that are usefull at any point in the game ( and outside the aberration ) and are not OP like extinction ones
  • enormous map full of hard encounters
  • dream for PvE players
  • farming resources is hard but rewarding ( black pearls, element and even metal deeper ), and now you have free loot gachas and in-game shop completely changing the way ark works and its dino usage

So yeah, Genesis design wise. All those volcano, ocean and lunar biome are absolutely outstanding. Just wish they were implemented a bit better.

Maybe Genesis part 2 will be about shutting down those forcefields and connecting all those biomes together hmm?

I can live with the hard content, I can live with the no flying.  What I hate though is how they did the biomes.  The teleporting between them is just dumb.  As others have said, sometimes your tamed dinos don't go with you, other times they just vanish.  I've resorted to using the Awesome Teleporter mod to move between biomes and make sure I keep dino trackers on all my dinos incase they up and vanish.

Sure teleport to and from the moon but the others you should be able to walk from one to another.  The biomes worked well in Extinction, repeat that method.

Loving it so far, yeah it's hard and I've cursed my fair share already. But it's ark, dying and losing your stuff is part of it. Especially now when it's new and unknown and new characters.

Hosting my own servers so of course we could have transferred there with tek gear and level 300+ rexes and gigas. But what fun would that be?
Will do that once we've leveled up new chars and learned everything the "right" way :)

I can live with the hard content, I can live with the no flying.  What I hate though is how they did the biomes.  The teleporting between them is just dumb.  As others have said, sometimes your tamed dinos don't go with you, other times they just vanish.  I've resorted to using the Awesome Teleporter mod to move between biomes and make sure I keep dino trackers on all my dinos incase they up and vanish.
Sure teleport to and from the moon but the others you should be able to walk from one to another.  The biomes worked well in Extinction, repeat that method.
The biomes on ext are proto-arks, not the same as those on genesis. Their dome shields are only to provide a holographic image of the outside and protect the inside from the meteors.

I have an idea of how to fix this entire map. First, make missions like boss fights. You teleport to a zone. That way you don't have the no build zones taking up half the entire map.

Next, let people fly. If you as a player do not like the idea of flying on this map, then you can just not fly. There is no reason to force everyone else to play the same way. It's just unfair to them and only splits the player base even more.

Fix the bugs. I mean i expected some bugs, but guys, you delayed it by two extra months. If it was gonna be this unpolished maybe you shouldn't have announced a date so soon. I mean jesus what did it look like in december when it was supposed to come out? The bloodstalker taking so much blood is just unreasonable. It takes one person like 2 hours to get 1000 blood to tame a 150, that's just plain silly. Sitting there for hours just clicking a button. I mean come on, we want fun, not tedium. The tranq dmg, i mean do i need to even say it? How the hell did this get past testing? Just how?

Make teleport zones with HLNA protected by a dome or something. So that people are not dying before their screens even load. Being hard is fine, but killing people while they can't respond is just unfair game design.

These things would increase the popularity of the map by leaps and bounds.

On 2/26/2020 at 1:59 PM, Qeythos said:

The map itself is too restrictive compared to other maps. Not being able to ride a dino between the biomes like previous maps is a fail. Trying to use HLN-A can be a nightmare as it tends to just zip away most of the time you attempt to interact wih it. Not being able to use flying mounts on an open map is a fail unless it is a bug or locked behind progression. It just doesn't make sense other then function as a brake on the rate at which people can obtain resources. The only thing working on the tek suit is the helmet's vision modes and air, but nothing else? A big, fat, fail. Imposing restrictions rather then building the map to take already existing methods into account is always going to be a fail, regardless of game. This has already been proven plenty of times in the past, just google it, no need to repost it all here. You'd need a library for that much information, not a thread in a forum.

I started a new character in the bog biome and by the time the initial white screen went away and i could see the enviorment my character was pretty much dead, at around 10% health from deadly gas and the infernal insect swarms that are literally everywhere you go. They need to be toned down. You kill one swarm and 3 will take its place in seconds. It also rains 99% of the time and the fog's so thick you can barely see a thing. A real bog doesn't have near-constant rain. All the effects are causing a lot of lag on a standard PS4 without a solid state drive. Of course i could install a solid state drive but if the game won't work smoothly on the hardware that the console came with then it just simply wasn't designed right and needs to be tweaked, end of story. While mounted the game pauses between 2 - 5 seconds every 50 or so feet traveled. Hopefully this will get optimized over time.

So far i have checked out the bog, snow, and ocean biomes and the only place i would even think of building is on the back of a Megachelon and i doubt i'll find much of anything in the volcanic or lunar biomes where i would want to build. Base building is a big part of this game after all yet Genesis clearly wasn't designed with that in mind but instead made to fit only a portion of the playerbase of the game, mostly people who prefer to play PvP but i'm tired of constantly running into people who can't PvP without using glitches, and then calling you trash, in pretty much any game, not just ARK, so i don't play PvP anymore unless it's with friends who i know will play legit. For PvE this map is lacking, a lot. Sure, there are missions to do but i haven't tried any of them yet so can't comment on them. What i have read from other peoples comments on them i don't even know if i want to.

at least no op dinos like machine gun raptor and i like what they did with the glitches and missions

Archived