Sorry Wildcard, Genesis map is a big failure.

Qeythos

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a very very bad map, the whole mission system is fun he new dinos seem ok aswell but the map destroys it all.

- The Fog area is the worse place to start with a low level char the guy naming this the easy biome has not played this map himselve. Starting ther with a low level char is a very bad idea and will make sure that players trying out wil demand a refund very fast. 

-Arctic, it is cold and very cold for the rest it is much easier since the dino spam is lower in that area. looks are not that great at all pretty much the same eye blinding white zone which is only nice to play wearing sun glasses.

- lunar/Moon - why do we need this biome?

- Ocean biome - looks great and is by far the easiest biome to start out, a low level character can survive in that biome but the devs label this one hard.......

Do i advice anyone to buy this version? No, this is not a DLC for new starting players at all,, only older players who have played this game might find this entertaining for some time.  PvE, with some mods which correct the great flaws in game design then  i might find it entertaining but mostly because of the missions and new dinos.  For PvP this DLC is a very big no no, most players will roll speed/stamina since the missions. It is possible to build on some very special locations which breaks the pvp game totally.

Didn't read all of these, but just wanted to say I think the no flying is completely in keeping with the concept and map and I'm pleased it's been disabled - at least until the players who do enjoy exploring and the challenge have worked their way through the content.

How hard / different the biomes are is refreshing and brings back more of the survival aspect from the original game and I'm loving it so far.

Most of the people moaning have been sat on OP dinos in mega bases for the last few years and just don't like having to make an effort imo.

I readed the most posts to this topic now and I can understand why some players like or dislike this map - you can't fly but the map looks beautiful with the new ocan. There are endless insect swarms, teleport problems and the games was released 24 hours ago but there are missions and ingame currency, now. It's all OK !!!

But I can't understand two big failures of this map

1.) Why is the bog biome the easy AND medium zone of ark genesis ? I mean It's a simulation, but a simulation should also include a beginner's zone, doesn't it !? Why is there no simple forest biome for beginner's experience ?

My new target is to leave the bog biome as fast as I can and build a new base in arctic biome. I guess, this is much more easier.

2.) Why can't I kill Insect swarms in first person view ? If I start my journey in bog biome (easy), I don't want the change my view to third persion every 5 seconds to kill an insect swarm. Yeah I know "It's no bug It's feature" :-).

Wildcard tested this map and didn't notice this !? Seriously ? There is no need fo this right now. Wildcard should have added the insect swarms later, when the mechanic works correctly.

Teleports take to long, even awesome teleports mod is faster and prolly hasn't been updated for a year.  Used it on Genesis. No place to build is just brutal. It's by far the nicest biomes I've ever seen. Feels restricted. Not into playing dodo basketball or half the mission tbh. 

I bought Ark for Ark ......this feels like a different game. It's really not that hard to survive,  not sure what all the fuss is about on that. Huge fan of wildcard so I wont get a refund and would rather support them. End of day. It's just not Ark. Just a stupid mission board.

18 hours ago, Qeythos said:

The map itself is too restrictive compared to other maps. Not being able to ride a dino between the biomes like previous maps is a fail. Trying to use HLN-A can be a nightmare as it tends to just zip away most of the time you attempt to interact wih it. Not being able to use flying mounts on an open map is a fail unless it is a bug or locked behind progression. It just doesn't make sense other then function as a brake on the rate at which people can obtain resources. The only thing working on the tek suit is the helmet's vision modes and air, but nothing else? A big, fat, fail. Imposing restrictions rather then building the map to take already existing methods into account is always going to be a fail, regardless of game. This has already been proven plenty of times in the past, just google it, no need to repost it all here. You'd need a library for that much information, not a thread in a forum.

I started a new character in the bog biome and by the time the initial white screen went away and i could see the enviorment my character was pretty much dead, at around 10% health from deadly gas and the infernal insect swarms that are literally everywhere you go. They need to be toned down. You kill one swarm and 3 will take its place in seconds. It also rains 99% of the time and the fog's so thick you can barely see a thing. A real bog doesn't have near-constant rain. All the effects are causing a lot of lag on a standard PS4 without a solid state drive. Of course i could install a solid state drive but if the game won't work smoothly on the hardware that the console came with then it just simply wasn't designed right and needs to be tweaked, end of story. While mounted the game pauses between 2 - 5 seconds every 50 or so feet traveled. Hopefully this will get optimized over time.

So far i have checked out the bog, snow, and ocean biomes and the only place i would even think of building is on the back of a Megachelon and i doubt i'll find much of anything in the volcanic or lunar biomes where i would want to build. Base building is a big part of this game after all yet Genesis clearly wasn't designed with that in mind but instead made to fit only a portion of the playerbase of the game, mostly people who prefer to play PvP but i'm tired of constantly running into people who can't PvP without using glitches, and then calling you trash, in pretty much any game, not just ARK, so i don't play PvP anymore unless it's with friends who i know will play legit. For PvE this map is lacking, a lot. Sure, there are missions to do but i haven't tried any of them yet so can't comment on them. What i have read from other peoples comments on them i don't even know if i want to.

I agree with most of your post however the notion that genesis is made for the pvp player base is completely misguided, genesis is made for pve players.

Due to the boring and tedious missions, that no pvp player wants to do, we cannot build anywhere (much like you have stated). There is next to no good base locations for pvp bases, the few base locatins i have seen are unbuidable due to mission zones. WC clearly did not consider pvp players when implementing this new building system- no you cannot build in this nice base spot because we have decided that this is where you will ice fish...although you will never actually do it because there is no incentive to. No pvp player wants to complete missions to recieve a primative saddle as a reward, its just not worth it.

From what i have tested i would guess 60-70% of the biomes on average are unbuildable- this is not ark! Ark should be a sandbox open world game which allows players to do what they like within that sandbox, however for some bizzare reason WC have decided to put limitations on what made people love the game in the beginning. No wonder ark is dying.

The nail in the coffin (dont get me wrong here, i could list many many more things wrong with genesis) despite all genesis' faults, there are those of us that would like to go there and frustratingly put up with these faults for a day or an evening so that we can tame the new creatures and bring them back to our own, playable, servers. However with this dlc for some reason WC has decided that not only can you transfer nothing in, you cannot transfer anything out either.

Personally i will be waiting the three months until transfers open to tame the new dinos and never set foot on that horrendous map ever again.

Screw you buddy. Not everything in Ark revolves around the PvP aspect of the game. 

There's more PvE that's involved that not a lot of people care about that ties into the PvP aspect.

I like the idea they did with the missions. Putting more PvE aspect into the game that doesn't revolve around the PvP aspect is amazing. 

I enjoy going from mission to mission and having fun with what ever the adjective is.

9 hours ago, GP said:

The Devs have said for months that Genesis will be very different from what we were used to with Ark, so experiencing something very different from the other DLCs should have been expected.

The small build areas is likely due to the fact this DLC is meant to be considered as a simulation, each biome is a simulation. A simulation would suggest that it is not the place for a proper permanent base build. Also as there are missions to be completed you can't have huge boring metal boxes blocking the way.

People complain about lack of build space whilst not fully understanding what Genesis is.

The no flyers I can understand similar to Aberration. But I can also understand why people are not happy about it as there was no communication regarding the fact you can't fly, even though flying wild dinos can be tamed but not used, that was a mistake in my opinion.

But overall, I think it is way too early to say that Genesis was a fail, because most people's opinions are based on them not understanding what Genesis was meant to be in the first place.

Pretty much this. We were outright given the exact words that Genesis was very, very new in terms of what we have regarding an ARK experience. I mean, the buggy hitboxes, usual bugs in general and being ARKed is still the same as ever from what myself and many others have noticed, but beyond that it was very clearly stated that Genesis is extremely different from the typical ARK gameplay.

I personally think Genesis was their best DLC yet. It gives so, so much more that you can do and while it doesn't bring tons of cool new creatures to the game, just a handful, its got plenty of stuff to really keep you into it if you're the sort like myself who likes to explore and learn everything new that you can.

• Volunteer Moderator
19 minutes ago, CanisLupus said:

Pretty much this. We were outright given the exact words that Genesis was very, very new in terms of what we have regarding an ARK experience. I mean, the buggy hitboxes, usual bugs in general and being ARKed is still the same as ever from what myself and many others have noticed, but beyond that it was very clearly stated that Genesis is extremely different from the typical ARK gameplay.

I personally think Genesis was their best DLC yet. It gives so, so much more that you can do and while it doesn't bring tons of cool new creatures to the game, just a handful, its got plenty of stuff to really keep you into it if you're the sort like myself who likes to explore and learn everything new that you can.

Yes.  And, some of the biomes, similar to Aberration(if not better than), offer vertical living (not just building really tall structures).   The trees in the center of the bog, the deep ocean, and the lunar biomes, to me, are more than flat earth play;  I consider mountain sides and similar flat earth, as you are playing on a single (roughly speaking) surface.

Also, fliers are not completely useless.   They can follow you and carry stuff; which can be very useful in an environment where you may be living vertically.

For someone with well over 3k hours on hardcore official servers, I love it.

- Map is very challenging if you start at level 1, not so much with a high level character.
- Biome details and ambiance are fine.
- No fly is alright with me. Just need to be creative honestly. (Grapples + chutes)
- Limited variety of creatures. I like it, so you're forced to use some species that you would otherwise ignore entirely.

I personnally spent a good 6-8 hours trying to start at level 1 in every biome for the sake of it. It's doable for all of them, yet some such as the lunar are for seasoned players only. My only grudge is that in all those hours, I've only managed to spot 2 of the new creatures (magmasaur/megachelon)....

Ocean (easiest) :
You'll always start on one of the stone pillars filled with bushes, trees and sometimes stone/salt rocks. If you can't find stone, just swim to another pillar/sea floor, there are some to be collected by hand.  Cool thing is the ocean biome let's you swim much faster than on other maps, regen your stam at the expanse of oxygen while in water.

Once you have your pickaxe, it gets much easier as you can farm anything on the sea floor such as corals (yield stone/flint/metal) and metal nodes deep down below. Large shrooms will give you rare mushrooms as well as fungal wood. I've not found pearls easily so far.

Volcanic (medium) :
Magmasaurs are a little tricky as they tend to aggro from afar, but nothing impossible to handle. I'm more annoyed by the collision boxes (meshes) of some rocks/trees. Water ponds are idea build spots for cooler temps as well as dealing with magmasaurs with ease. Metal nodes, oil nodes/veins and obsidian are abondant, as well as water for your agricultural needs.

More worried about random basilisks and purlovias imho.

Arctic (medium) :
The only realy challenge offered by this biome is the relentless cold. Nothing that can't be handled by fires/torches. As usual for snow themed zones, wolves/yuties in countless numbers. Ressources are ok, but trips have to be small in order to heal up in between each round.

Pretty fun to see that some ideas I discussed on these forums and implemented in my ice-themed prototype map ended up here, such as snowstorms, etc.

Bog (hard) :
Far from being the easiest biome. Filled with sarcos, kapros, baryonyxes, spinos and raptors and INSECT SWARMS... These things are not challenging, they are broken and will follow you through the mesh... Complaining aside, metal nodes are to be found in specific locations, yet large patches. Same thing for crystal, which seems to be very rare in other biomes.

This biome is a fun yet frustrating challenge at times, but everything can be accomplished. Navigation is the hardest part of it imo.

Lunar (hardest) :
Unending waves of drones, tek dinos and reapers.... let alone the sun radiation. This place seems to be a mix of aberration/extinction. Navigating around is far easier than on the other biomes because of the lower gravity and impressives jumps resulting.

You must pay attention to your health there because of the extreme cold temps. Plenty of ressources, but that comes at the price of constant threats.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good luck survivors!

19 minutes ago, Jerryn said:

Yes.  And, some of the biomes, similar to Aberration(if not better than), offer vertical living (not just building really tall structures).   The trees in the center of the bog, the deep ocean, and the lunar biomes, to me, are more than flat earth play;  I consider mountain sides and similar flat earth, as you are playing on a single (roughly speaking) surface.

Also, fliers are not completely useless.   They can follow you and carry stuff; which can be very useful in an environment where you may be living vertically.

Definitely. And agreed on flyers. When living higher up, it's good to have a flyer simply to carry things around for you if needed. Argies are nice too considering they're solid on weight, so work wonderfully as supply transport up and down from any cliff or tree bases.

16 minutes ago, Darkholis said:

For someone with well over 3k hours on hardcore official servers, I love it.

- Map is very challenging if you start at level 1, not so much with a high level character.
- Biome details and ambiance are fine.
- No fly is alright with me. Just need to be creative honestly. (Grapples + chutes)
- Limited variety of creatures. I like it, so you're forced to use some species that you would otherwise ignore entirely.

I personnally spent a good 6-8 hours trying to start at level 1 in every biome for the sake of it. It's doable for all of them, yet some such as the lunar are for seasoned players only. My only grudge is that in all those hours, I've only managed to spot 2 of the new creatures (magmasaur/megachelon)....

Ocean (easiest) :
You'll always start on one of the stone pillars filled with bushes, trees and sometimes stone/salt rocks. If you can't find stone, just swim to another pillar/sea floor, there are some to be collected by hand.  Cool thing is the ocean biome let's you swim much faster than on other maps, regen your stam at the expanse of oxygen while in water.

Once you have your pickaxe, it gets much easier as you can farm anything on the sea floor such as corals (yield stone/flint/metal) and metal nodes deep down below. Large shrooms will give you rare mushrooms as well as fungal wood. I've not found pearls easily so far.

Volcanic (medium) :
Magmasaurs are a little tricky as they tend to aggro from afar, but nothing impossible to handle. I'm more annoyed by the collision boxes (meshes) of some rocks/trees. Water ponds are idea build spots for cooler temps as well as dealing with magmasaurs with ease. Metal nodes, oil nodes/veins and obsidian are abondant, as well as water for your agricultural needs.

More worried about random basilisks and purlovias imho.

Arctic (medium) :
The only realy challenge offered by this biome is the relentless cold. Nothing that can't be handled by fires/torches. As usual for snow themed zones, wolves/yuties in countless numbers. Ressources are ok, but trips have to be small in order to heal up in between each round.

Pretty fun to see that some ideas I discussed on these forums and implemented in my ice-themed prototype map ended up here, such as snowstorms, etc.

Bog (hard) :
Far from being the easiest biome. Filled with sarcos, kapros, baryonyxes, spinos and raptors and INSECT SWARMS... These things are not challenging, they are broken and will follow you through the mesh... Complaining aside, metal nodes are to be found in specific locations, yet large patches. Same thing for crystal, which seems to be very rare in other biomes.

This biome is a fun yet frustrating challenge at times, but everything can be accomplished. Navigation is the hardest part of it imo.

Lunar (hardest) :
Unending waves of drones, tek dinos and reapers.... let alone the sun radiation. This place seems to be a mix of aberration/extinction. Navigating around is far easier than on the other biomes because of the lower gravity and impressives jumps resulting.

You must pay attention to your health there because of the extreme cold temps. Plenty of ressources, but that comes at the price of constant threats.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good luck survivors!

great run down of all the biomes, why has WC not hired you lmao

Genesis sucks.

Got on, in the snow, built a small base and built a flyer and a small dino trap in under 30 minutes. Placed a bed down before first death. Success 

Put up a war map to view entire map, noticed different biomes that aren't connected. Lame

Trapped a 135 argent. KOd at 45 minutes. Cool

Found ovis, set up spike walls to protect it for the next hour. Awesome

Ran around gathering materials and building up. Meh

65 minutes into the map my character fell into a pit that is impossible to get out of without climbing picks or grappling hook. Stuck there until death by hypothermia 5 minutes later, all tools were lost. Damn

Over 2 hours in, argentavis tamed only to find out you cannot fly any dinos.. DILO

Under 3 hours, character falls into the same pit as before. I logged off. What a dumb map. 

I want a refund..

Oh my God.  I don't know that I have ever seen such a whiny bunch of kids.  It amazes me that some of the supposed 'hardened vets' of ARK would complain that the new Genesis map is TOO DIFFICULT.  It absolutely is not.  You are supposed to adapt!  That is is specifically what ARK is about.  It would be boring if they just gave us the same exact thing that they have previously given before.  

I play on PC, and the game absolutely is not buggy.  It flowed smoothly.  HNLA operates properly.  It took me and my mates a little time to figure out how teleporting works, how moving to another map works, and how missions work.  But that is the beauty of it.  That is where you have fun!  I remember the very first time that I logged into ARK.  I got skinned and eaten by a raptor within 30 seconds.  I thought that it was the coolest thing!  Then I proceeded to become raptor food 3 more times.  So I adapted, and spawned in a different area.  Then I was able to build and level a bit.  Me and two other tribe members took our rock drakes into the bog and winter biomes and had a blast!  The OP on this thread sounds like a whiny, spoiled brat.  Swamps have more rain, and ARE foggy!! Deal with it kiddo.  Learn to adapt!  We got nailed by avalanches in the winter biome.  So where to we build a base?  On a really high cliff.  I truly appreciate Wildcards stance of making the people work harder and smarter.  That is what survival is about.

No flyers?  Deal with it.  Adapt.  Go tame a rock drake.  They work perfectly.  They can jump and glide through the maps.  And they can climb all of the cliffs.  This game is not rocket science.

Wildcard has done a stellar job with this expansion.  The pricing is perfect.  $30 for two expansions?  That is pocket change for that much content!  If you cannot afford a measly $30, get a better job, or do some more chores to get a better allowance.  That fact that I am seeing many thread of these people wanting to be spoon-fed in ARK is laughable.  I can guarantee you that they are just like that as well in real life.  Too many of these gamers spend ALL of their time on unofficial servers that gives them everything that they want.  I truly do not understand how the game can be fun playing that way.  You have no risk to get the reward.  You have no pride in your work.

29 minutes ago, Vulfpeck said:

Genesis sucks.

Got on, in the snow, built a small base and built a flyer and a small dino trap in under 30 minutes. Placed a bed down before first death. Success 

Put up a war map to view entire map, noticed different biomes that aren't connected. Lame

Trapped a 135 argent. KOd at 45 minutes. Cool

Found ovis, set up spike walls to protect it for the next hour. Awesome

Ran around gathering materials and building up. Meh

65 minutes into the map my character fell into a pit that is impossible to get out of without climbing picks or grappling hook. Stuck there until death by hypothermia 5 minutes later, all tools were lost. Damn

Over 2 hours in, argentavis tamed only to find out you cannot fly any dinos.. DILO

Under 3 hours, character falls into the same pit as before. I logged off. What a dumb map. 

I want a refund..

Get a refund and git good really.

Genesis is the most polished product they released since Aberration. Yes they could have done a better job at communication and letting us know that no flyers was in effect, then what? Adapt ffs, it's a survival game.

Extinction was by far the worst fiasco they released. Let's not talk about titans, managarmrs, gachas, among other things....

Archived